[Hammock Camping] Re:Is 1 stud enough?

  • Neal
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
      You are right. I thought about that too. I did use the same size
      eye-bolt for the top and bottom but I drilled good sized pilot holes
      for both. Now I realize that the top bolt can be pretty wimpy because
      it's only purpose is to stabilize the 2x4 and that mostly when putting
      up the beam.I have slept in the hammock 3 nights and it is VERY
      stable. Remember that the actual hammock hanging eyes are on the
      bottom of the 2x4.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, amendment2@... wrote:

      > The biggest problem I see with that is the potential for two
      eyebolts 3 1/2 to 4 inches apart to split the stud. You definitely
      want to drill a pilot hole and you want the hole centered on the
      studs. Good luck! Tell us how.it works out.
    • Arye P. R.
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
        good luck finding the stud center through the wall.

        Better yet would be to replace the 2x4 with a 2x8 or 2x12 placed on the other side of the wall spanning horizontally across at least 2 studs and place the eye bolts at least 12 inches (30cm) apart just through the walls (not the studs) and through to the 2x8 or 2x12. A piece of webbing or re-bar between the eye bolts can be used to anchor the hammock too.
        To disguise the 2x's attach a 1x with screws or brackets to form a shelf, finish as would like if not with paint or stain try a self adhesive product like Contact Paper (self adhesive vinyl product
        <http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-188-contact-papers.aspx>)
        Additionally the same can be done to disguise 2x's on the hammock side that can be installed to prevent the eye-bolts from pulling together if webbing is used.

        Sapere Aude

        Arye P. Rubenstein

        ________________________________
        From: "Neal" <nealaustin@yahoo. com>

        Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:14:23
        To: <hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com>
        Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re:Is 1 stud enough?

        I really like Carey's Idea and after thinking it through I think
        that's the solution that I will be choosing. First I will be using two
        Eye-bolts on each wall into a stud exactly 1 2x4 height above each
        other. The 2x4 rests on the bottom eye-bolt( rated 175 lbs) with a
        lagbolt between the two eyes and through the 2x4 (Kinda like a hinge).
        Another eyed lagbolt will go through the 2x4 with the eye on the
        bottom. This solution can also go into a corner of a room using two
        adjacent walls. The 2x4 resting on the eye-bolt absorbs all of the
        horizontal pull. The Stud in the wall can absorb the vertical weight.
        It's easily removable with only the 4 eye-bolts remaining in the two
        walls. One reason I want to use this hinge type construction is
        because the Studs in the opposing walls don't line up. Also I will be
        connecting two 2x4's together with 3 lag-bolts (2 with wing-nuts 1
        normal) to make the 2x4 bar foldable and thus more portable.

        __._,_.__

      • aethericpower
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealaustin@...> wrote:

          > I've been out in the hammock quite a bit and want to hang a hammock in
          > a room in my house. I have a typical American house with 2x4 studs
          > that are 16" apart under gypsum board. My question is: If I screw a
          > eye-bolt with into a stud in each of the walls would it hold? Would
          > the horozontal pull possibly damage the walls. The walls are 9 feet
          > apart and non-load bearing. Would I need to structure the load over 2
          > studs? I weigh 200 lbs

          I used a metal pole hanging on window frames before. I used some
          clothing to stablize the pole from rolling on the frames. My hammock
          was tied to the pole.

          Currently I am using a stand that looks like this but cost me $19 from
          FogDog.
          http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-823104-Deluxe-Hammock-
          Stand/dp/B0019X00PC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-
          goods&qid=1228778445&sr=1-6

          It works fine, just takes up a lot of space in terms of length.