Re: [Hammock Camping] Re:Is 1 stud enough?

  • amendment2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 26, 2008
      The biggest problem I see with bthat is the potential for two eyebolts 3 1/2 to 4 inches apart to split the stud. You definitely want to drill a pilot hole and you want the hole centered on the studs. Good luck! Tell us how.it works out.
      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
        You are right. I thought about that too. I did use the same size
        eye-bolt for the top and bottom but I drilled good sized pilot holes
        for both. Now I realize that the top bolt can be pretty wimpy because
        it's only purpose is to stabilize the 2x4 and that mostly when putting
        up the beam.I have slept in the hammock 3 nights and it is VERY
        stable. Remember that the actual hammock hanging eyes are on the
        bottom of the 2x4.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, amendment2@... wrote:

        > The biggest problem I see with that is the potential for two
        eyebolts 3 1/2 to 4 inches apart to split the stud. You definitely
        want to drill a pilot hole and you want the hole centered on the
        studs. Good luck! Tell us how.it works out.
      • Arye P. R.
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
          good luck finding the stud center through the wall.

          Better yet would be to replace the 2x4 with a 2x8 or 2x12 placed on the other side of the wall spanning horizontally across at least 2 studs and place the eye bolts at least 12 inches (30cm) apart just through the walls (not the studs) and through to the 2x8 or 2x12. A piece of webbing or re-bar between the eye bolts can be used to anchor the hammock too.
          To disguise the 2x's attach a 1x with screws or brackets to form a shelf, finish as would like if not with paint or stain try a self adhesive product like Contact Paper (self adhesive vinyl product
          <http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-188-contact-papers.aspx>)
          Additionally the same can be done to disguise 2x's on the hammock side that can be installed to prevent the eye-bolts from pulling together if webbing is used.

          Sapere Aude

          Arye P. Rubenstein

          ________________________________
[...]

          __._,_.__

        • aethericpower
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealaustin@...> wrote:

            > I've been out in the hammock quite a bit and want to hang a hammock in
            > a room in my house. I have a typical American house with 2x4 studs
            > that are 16" apart under gypsum board. My question is: If I screw a
            > eye-bolt with into a stud in each of the walls would it hold? Would
            > the horozontal pull possibly damage the walls. The walls are 9 feet
            > apart and non-load bearing. Would I need to structure the load over 2
            > studs? I weigh 200 lbs

            I used a metal pole hanging on window frames before. I used some
            clothing to stablize the pole from rolling on the frames. My hammock
            was tied to the pole.

            Currently I am using a stand that looks like this but cost me $19 from
            FogDog.
            http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-823104-Deluxe-Hammock-
            Stand/dp/B0019X00PC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-
            goods&qid=1228778445&sr=1-6

            It works fine, just takes up a lot of space in terms of length.