Re: [Hammock Camping] Is 1 stud enough?

  • Arye P. R.
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
      In a word no ! don't risk it. 1- 2x4 stud that is 16" apart will not work with time they will bow under the weight and you will have cracked walls and or the screw eye may rip out. Furthermore depending on how secure the walls/studs are to the floor and celling you may even pull the whole wall down.

      You could use a 2x8 or 10 x 24 inches wide horizontally mounted on the outside of the walls to spread the weight between two vertical studs. Than use 2 eye-bolts through a horizontal 2x4on the inside the walls bolted through to the outside 2x8.

      Personally I would build a frame of 3- 4x4s and 1- 2x4. One 4x4 horizontal at the top stretching between and lag screwed into 2 vertical 4x4s against the walls with a 2x4 as a stretcher at the bottom to keep the legs from pulling in. Than L brackets to support horizontal legs on the floor to keep it all vertical. With this you can hang the hammock from the top or from the sides or hang 2 hammock chairs from the top side by side.

      Don't use screw-eyes, use eye-bolts that go clear through and use oversize washers before securing the nuts on the bolt

      Or a frame of steel pipe as described elsewhere on this forum.
      see
      <http://www.imrisk.com/hammockstand/hammockstand.htm>
      and
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/message/5036>
      in the photo section see image 6 in the album 'Rainbow04'
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/album/2054279391/pic/list>
      <http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm>

      Sapere Aude,

      Arye P. Rubenstein

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
        I did this in my old house. I weigh 219 lbs. slept in it 2 - 3 times a week and never had a problem.
        BUT I? did make sure i had plenty of droop so that there was more downward?pressure?on the stud rather than horizontal.

      • Andrew Raney
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
          I use three 1/4" eyebolts at each end with a climbing "load equalizer",
          and have supported over 350 pounds with no crumbling walls.
          The eyebolts are at about a 30* angle so there is no downward pull on
          the wood.
          Andrew
        • Neal
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
            I really like Carey's Idea and after thinking it through I think
            that's the solution that I will be choosing. First I will be using two
            Eye-bolts on each wall into a stud exactly 1 2x4 height above each
            other. The 2x4 rests on the bottom eye-bolt( rated 175 lbs) with a
            lagbolt between the two eyes and through the 2x4 (Kinda like a hinge).
            Another eyed lagbolt will go through the 2x4 with the eye on the
            bottom. This solution can also go into a corner of a room using two
            adjacent walls. The 2x4 resting on the eye-bolt absorbs all of the
            horizontal pull. The Stud in the wall can absorb the vertical weight.
            It's easily removable with only the 4 eye-bolts remaining in the two
            walls. One reason I want to use this hinge type construction is
            because the Studs in the opposing walls don't line up. Also I will be
            connecting two 2x4's together with 3 lag-bolts (2 with wing-nuts 1
            normal) to make the 2x4 bar foldable and thus more portable.
          • amendment2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 26, 2008
              The biggest problem I see with bthat is the potential for two eyebolts 3 1/2 to 4 inches apart to split the stud. You definitely want to drill a pilot hole and you want the hole centered on the studs. Good luck! Tell us how.it works out.
              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
                You are right. I thought about that too. I did use the same size
                eye-bolt for the top and bottom but I drilled good sized pilot holes
                for both. Now I realize that the top bolt can be pretty wimpy because
                it's only purpose is to stabilize the 2x4 and that mostly when putting
                up the beam.I have slept in the hammock 3 nights and it is VERY
                stable. Remember that the actual hammock hanging eyes are on the
                bottom of the 2x4.

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
                  good luck finding the stud center through the wall.

                  Better yet would be to replace the 2x4 with a 2x8 or 2x12 placed on the other side of the wall spanning horizontally across at least 2 studs and place the eye bolts at least 12 inches (30cm) apart just through the walls (not the studs) and through to the 2x8 or 2x12. A piece of webbing or re-bar between the eye bolts can be used to anchor the hammock too.
                  To disguise the 2x's attach a 1x with screws or brackets to form a shelf, finish as would like if not with paint or stain try a self adhesive product like Contact Paper (self adhesive vinyl product
                  <http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-188-contact-papers.aspx>)
                  Additionally the same can be done to disguise 2x's on the hammock side that can be installed to prevent the eye-bolts from pulling together if webbing is used.

                  Sapere Aude

                  Arye P. Rubenstein

                  ________________________________
[...]

                  __._,_.__

                • aethericpower
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealaustin@...> wrote:

                    > I've been out in the hammock quite a bit and want to hang a hammock in
                    > a room in my house. I have a typical American house with 2x4 studs
                    > that are 16" apart under gypsum board. My question is: If I screw a
                    > eye-bolt with into a stud in each of the walls would it hold? Would
                    > the horozontal pull possibly damage the walls. The walls are 9 feet
                    > apart and non-load bearing. Would I need to structure the load over 2
                    > studs? I weigh 200 lbs

                    I used a metal pole hanging on window frames before. I used some
                    clothing to stablize the pole from rolling on the frames. My hammock
                    was tied to the pole.

                    Currently I am using a stand that looks like this but cost me $19 from
                    FogDog.
                    http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-823104-Deluxe-Hammock-
                    Stand/dp/B0019X00PC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-
                    goods&qid=1228778445&sr=1-6

                    It works fine, just takes up a lot of space in terms of length.