RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Is 1 stud enough?

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
      One solution I heard about but have not tried personally is to hang the
      hammock from a 2x4 beam running across the room so the beam takes the load
      in compression. The beam is held in a wooden "U" bracket on both ends, this
      brackett then only carries 1/2 of your weight in a vertical direction, which
      a couple lag bolts into the 2x4 will easily manage. When you take dowm the
      hammock the beam can be lifted out as well and placed along the floor out of
      the way. Perhaps the person who actually did this will chime in with a
      long-term use report. It makes sense to me.

      Carey

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
        i was just taking the idea of replacing the 4x4`s like being trees.....
        yeah if some thought is put into it you probablly could come up with something that is pleasing to the eye.....personally i like open walls ...to each their own....

        Date: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:53 am ((PST))

        being a carpenter of 30 plus years.....you will pull that eye bolt out....

        i do not know if you own your house....... but if you do ....you can take a
        2x6 with a plate on the cieling running from joist to joist mounted with
        screws and a plate on the floor running from floor joist to floor joist
        mounted
        with screws and a verticle 4x4 mounted to these 2 plates....that will do
        it.....and drill a hole in each verticle 4x4 for a nice secure tie down
        .....that is how i would approach this project

        if you want to make this more appealing to the eye then you will be tearing
        out
        sheet rock or plaster and flooring to mount your verticle to the house
        framing
        with carriage bolts....
        then repairing your sheet rock and flooring ......

        either way good luck

      • Arye P. R.
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
          In a word no ! don't risk it. 1- 2x4 stud that is 16" apart will not work with time they will bow under the weight and you will have cracked walls and or the screw eye may rip out. Furthermore depending on how secure the walls/studs are to the floor and celling you may even pull the whole wall down.

          You could use a 2x8 or 10 x 24 inches wide horizontally mounted on the outside of the walls to spread the weight between two vertical studs. Than use 2 eye-bolts through a horizontal 2x4on the inside the walls bolted through to the outside 2x8.

          Personally I would build a frame of 3- 4x4s and 1- 2x4. One 4x4 horizontal at the top stretching between and lag screwed into 2 vertical 4x4s against the walls with a 2x4 as a stretcher at the bottom to keep the legs from pulling in. Than L brackets to support horizontal legs on the floor to keep it all vertical. With this you can hang the hammock from the top or from the sides or hang 2 hammock chairs from the top side by side.

          Don't use screw-eyes, use eye-bolts that go clear through and use oversize washers before securing the nuts on the bolt

          Or a frame of steel pipe as described elsewhere on this forum.
          see
          <http://www.imrisk.com/hammockstand/hammockstand.htm>
          and
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/message/5036>
          in the photo section see image 6 in the album 'Rainbow04'
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/album/2054279391/pic/list>
          <http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm>

          Sapere Aude,

          Arye P. Rubenstein

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
              Not bad Rosaleen. I ran a carriage bolt through an exterior wall & secured it w/ a small metal plate & bolt on the outside.
                But that's a creative way you described, to use an inside wall & keep it looking good.

            Posted by: "j.a. tackett" conifir1@... conifir1
            Date: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:53 am ((PST))

          • CHRISNIMON@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
              I did this in my old house. I weigh 219 lbs. slept in it 2 - 3 times a week and never had a problem.
              BUT I? did make sure i had plenty of droop so that there was more downward?pressure?on the stud rather than horizontal.

            • Andrew Raney
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
                I use three 1/4" eyebolts at each end with a climbing "load equalizer",
                and have supported over 350 pounds with no crumbling walls.
                The eyebolts are at about a 30* angle so there is no downward pull on
                the wood.
                Andrew
              • Neal
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
                  I really like Carey's Idea and after thinking it through I think
                  that's the solution that I will be choosing. First I will be using two
                  Eye-bolts on each wall into a stud exactly 1 2x4 height above each
                  other. The 2x4 rests on the bottom eye-bolt( rated 175 lbs) with a
                  lagbolt between the two eyes and through the 2x4 (Kinda like a hinge).
                  Another eyed lagbolt will go through the 2x4 with the eye on the
                  bottom. This solution can also go into a corner of a room using two
                  adjacent walls. The 2x4 resting on the eye-bolt absorbs all of the
                  horizontal pull. The Stud in the wall can absorb the vertical weight.
                  It's easily removable with only the 4 eye-bolts remaining in the two
                  walls. One reason I want to use this hinge type construction is
                  because the Studs in the opposing walls don't line up. Also I will be
                  connecting two 2x4's together with 3 lag-bolts (2 with wing-nuts 1
                  normal) to make the 2x4 bar foldable and thus more portable.
                • amendment2@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 26, 2008
                    The biggest problem I see with bthat is the potential for two eyebolts 3 1/2 to 4 inches apart to split the stud. You definitely want to drill a pilot hole and you want the hole centered on the studs. Good luck! Tell us how.it works out.
                    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
                      You are right. I thought about that too. I did use the same size
                      eye-bolt for the top and bottom but I drilled good sized pilot holes
                      for both. Now I realize that the top bolt can be pretty wimpy because
                      it's only purpose is to stabilize the 2x4 and that mostly when putting
                      up the beam.I have slept in the hammock 3 nights and it is VERY
                      stable. Remember that the actual hammock hanging eyes are on the
                      bottom of the 2x4.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
                        good luck finding the stud center through the wall.

                        Better yet would be to replace the 2x4 with a 2x8 or 2x12 placed on the other side of the wall spanning horizontally across at least 2 studs and place the eye bolts at least 12 inches (30cm) apart just through the walls (not the studs) and through to the 2x8 or 2x12. A piece of webbing or re-bar between the eye bolts can be used to anchor the hammock too.
                        To disguise the 2x's attach a 1x with screws or brackets to form a shelf, finish as would like if not with paint or stain try a self adhesive product like Contact Paper (self adhesive vinyl product
                        <http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-188-contact-papers.aspx>)
                        Additionally the same can be done to disguise 2x's on the hammock side that can be installed to prevent the eye-bolts from pulling together if webbing is used.

                        Sapere Aude

                        Arye P. Rubenstein

                        ________________________________
[...]

                        __._,_.__

                      • aethericpower
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealaustin@...> wrote:

                          > I've been out in the hammock quite a bit and want to hang a hammock in
                          > a room in my house. I have a typical American house with 2x4 studs
                          > that are 16" apart under gypsum board. My question is: If I screw a
                          > eye-bolt with into a stud in each of the walls would it hold? Would
                          > the horozontal pull possibly damage the walls. The walls are 9 feet
                          > apart and non-load bearing. Would I need to structure the load over 2
                          > studs? I weigh 200 lbs

                          I used a metal pole hanging on window frames before. I used some
                          clothing to stablize the pole from rolling on the frames. My hammock
                          was tied to the pole.

                          Currently I am using a stand that looks like this but cost me $19 from
                          FogDog.
                          http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-823104-Deluxe-Hammock-
                          Stand/dp/B0019X00PC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-
                          goods&qid=1228778445&sr=1-6

                          It works fine, just takes up a lot of space in terms of length.