Re: [Hammock Camping] Is 1 stud enough?

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
         I have to agree w/ "j.a. tackett".  You might get away w/ it for a while, but you're probably asking for a sore tail bone... not to mention damage to the wall.
          If going the extra lengths to make it stronger is more than you want to do, you might take a look at some of the hammock stands available.   ...Tim

      From: Neal <nealaustin@...>
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Is 1 stud enough?
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 8:31 PM

      I've been out in the hammock quite a bit and want to hang a hammock in
      a room in my house. I have a typical American house with 2x4 studs
      that are 16" apart under gypsum board. My question is: If I screw a
      eye-bolt with into a stud in each of the walls would it hold? Would
      the horozontal pull possibly damage the walls. The walls are 9 feet
      apart and non-load bearing. Would I need to structure the load over 2
      studs? I weigh 200 lbs

    • Rosaleen Sullivan
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
        Hi, J.A.-

        I'm not a carpenter, "nor do I play one on TV..." <w>

        Could the hammock hanging conundrum be solved in a more aestheticly-pleasing
        manner described next?

        Choose load-bearing walls. Install a pair (opposite each other) of wooden
        shelves with aprons at a height that works for the hammock. Hide a steel
        plate behind the apron, if necessary. Install carriage bolts through the
        aprons into 2 or 3 studs, passing as well through the steel plates. Plug
        the holes to cover the bolts. Install eye bolts in the placements of
        choice, and some "Shaker pegs." Place knick-knacks, books, hiking
        memorabelia/gear on shelves and decorative or functional items on pegs. If
        the hammock is taken down for any reason, just hang something over the eye
        bolts for camoflage.

        I THINK this would spread out the load when the hammock is used. If
        load-bearing walls are not available to this project, I would be looking at
        maybe installing a vertical floor to ceiling component that could attach to
        the ceiling and floor and be made decorative.

        Is this at all workable, in your professional opinion?

        Regards,

        Rosaleen

        Re: Is 1 stud enough?
        Posted by: "j.a. tackett" conifir1@... conifir1

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
          One solution I heard about but have not tried personally is to hang the
          hammock from a 2x4 beam running across the room so the beam takes the load
          in compression. The beam is held in a wooden "U" bracket on both ends, this
          brackett then only carries 1/2 of your weight in a vertical direction, which
          a couple lag bolts into the 2x4 will easily manage. When you take dowm the
          hammock the beam can be lifted out as well and placed along the floor out of
          the way. Perhaps the person who actually did this will chime in with a
          long-term use report. It makes sense to me.

          Carey

          > I've been out in the hammock quite a bit and want to hang a hammock in
          > a room in my house. I have a typical American house with 2x4 studs
          > that are 16" apart under gypsum board. My question is: If I screw a
          > eye-bolt with into a stud in each of the walls would it hold? Would
          > the horozontal pull possibly damage the walls. The walls are 9 feet
          > apart and non-load bearing. Would I need to structure the load over 2
          > studs? I weigh 200 lbs

          I have my eno hanging in my house, but my tie points are next to a window
          and a closet,
          so I have extra support there, but still into 2x4. a problem with setting
          the eye bolt is
          getting the height right for the distance between the two tie off points.
          You could always
          put a second hole in, if you had to ..... but as already mentioned, going
          the route of better
          safe than ...... , yeah that's always a good idea! of course you could
          always make a
          "bracket" for the eyebolts by spanning two 2x4s using a 2x8 (or bigger).
          paint or
          decorate it as you'd like .... but then you'd have 4 bolts in your wall
          holding your eyebolt
          bracket to the wall. btw, I use my hammock in my house everyday, sometimes
          sleep in it
          or tap naps during the day, like now, as I've got a terrible cold/flu
          ....... Mostly I watch tv
          in my hammock .... I bet this idea will become the next new home
          decorating tv idea ...

        • j.a. tackett
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
            i was just taking the idea of replacing the 4x4`s like being trees.....
            yeah if some thought is put into it you probablly could come up with something that is pleasing to the eye.....personally i like open walls ...to each their own....

            Posted by: "j.a. tackett" conifir1@yahoo. com conifir1

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
              In a word no ! don't risk it. 1- 2x4 stud that is 16" apart will not work with time they will bow under the weight and you will have cracked walls and or the screw eye may rip out. Furthermore depending on how secure the walls/studs are to the floor and celling you may even pull the whole wall down.

              You could use a 2x8 or 10 x 24 inches wide horizontally mounted on the outside of the walls to spread the weight between two vertical studs. Than use 2 eye-bolts through a horizontal 2x4on the inside the walls bolted through to the outside 2x8.

              Personally I would build a frame of 3- 4x4s and 1- 2x4. One 4x4 horizontal at the top stretching between and lag screwed into 2 vertical 4x4s against the walls with a 2x4 as a stretcher at the bottom to keep the legs from pulling in. Than L brackets to support horizontal legs on the floor to keep it all vertical. With this you can hang the hammock from the top or from the sides or hang 2 hammock chairs from the top side by side.

              Don't use screw-eyes, use eye-bolts that go clear through and use oversize washers before securing the nuts on the bolt

              Or a frame of steel pipe as described elsewhere on this forum.
              see
              <http://www.imrisk.com/hammockstand/hammockstand.htm>
              and
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/message/5036>
              in the photo section see image 6 in the album 'Rainbow04'
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/album/2054279391/pic/list>
              <http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm>

              Sapere Aude,

              Arye P. Rubenstein

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
                  Not bad Rosaleen. I ran a carriage bolt through an exterior wall & secured it w/ a small metal plate & bolt on the outside.
                    But that's a creative way you described, to use an inside wall & keep it looking good.

                Date: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:53 am ((PST))

              • CHRISNIMON@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
                  I did this in my old house. I weigh 219 lbs. slept in it 2 - 3 times a week and never had a problem.
                  BUT I? did make sure i had plenty of droop so that there was more downward?pressure?on the stud rather than horizontal.

                • Andrew Raney
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
                    I use three 1/4" eyebolts at each end with a climbing "load equalizer",
                    and have supported over 350 pounds with no crumbling walls.
                    The eyebolts are at about a 30* angle so there is no downward pull on
                    the wood.
                    Andrew
                  • Neal
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
                      I really like Carey's Idea and after thinking it through I think
                      that's the solution that I will be choosing. First I will be using two
                      Eye-bolts on each wall into a stud exactly 1 2x4 height above each
                      other. The 2x4 rests on the bottom eye-bolt( rated 175 lbs) with a
                      lagbolt between the two eyes and through the 2x4 (Kinda like a hinge).
                      Another eyed lagbolt will go through the 2x4 with the eye on the
                      bottom. This solution can also go into a corner of a room using two
                      adjacent walls. The 2x4 resting on the eye-bolt absorbs all of the
                      horizontal pull. The Stud in the wall can absorb the vertical weight.
                      It's easily removable with only the 4 eye-bolts remaining in the two
                      walls. One reason I want to use this hinge type construction is
                      because the Studs in the opposing walls don't line up. Also I will be
                      connecting two 2x4's together with 3 lag-bolts (2 with wing-nuts 1
                      normal) to make the 2x4 bar foldable and thus more portable.
                    • amendment2@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 26, 2008
                        The biggest problem I see with bthat is the potential for two eyebolts 3 1/2 to 4 inches apart to split the stud. You definitely want to drill a pilot hole and you want the hole centered on the studs. Good luck! Tell us how.it works out.
                        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
                          You are right. I thought about that too. I did use the same size
                          eye-bolt for the top and bottom but I drilled good sized pilot holes
                          for both. Now I realize that the top bolt can be pretty wimpy because
                          it's only purpose is to stabilize the 2x4 and that mostly when putting
                          up the beam.I have slept in the hammock 3 nights and it is VERY
                          stable. Remember that the actual hammock hanging eyes are on the
                          bottom of the 2x4.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
                            good luck finding the stud center through the wall.

                            Better yet would be to replace the 2x4 with a 2x8 or 2x12 placed on the other side of the wall spanning horizontally across at least 2 studs and place the eye bolts at least 12 inches (30cm) apart just through the walls (not the studs) and through to the 2x8 or 2x12. A piece of webbing or re-bar between the eye bolts can be used to anchor the hammock too.
                            To disguise the 2x's attach a 1x with screws or brackets to form a shelf, finish as would like if not with paint or stain try a self adhesive product like Contact Paper (self adhesive vinyl product
                            <http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-188-contact-papers.aspx>)
                            Additionally the same can be done to disguise 2x's on the hammock side that can be installed to prevent the eye-bolts from pulling together if webbing is used.

                            Sapere Aude

                            Arye P. Rubenstein

                            ________________________________
[...]

                            __._,_.__

                          • aethericpower
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealaustin@...> wrote:

                              > I've been out in the hammock quite a bit and want to hang a hammock in
                              > a room in my house. I have a typical American house with 2x4 studs
                              > that are 16" apart under gypsum board. My question is: If I screw a
                              > eye-bolt with into a stud in each of the walls would it hold? Would
                              > the horozontal pull possibly damage the walls. The walls are 9 feet
                              > apart and non-load bearing. Would I need to structure the load over 2
                              > studs? I weigh 200 lbs

                              I used a metal pole hanging on window frames before. I used some
                              clothing to stablize the pole from rolling on the frames. My hammock
                              was tied to the pole.

                              Currently I am using a stand that looks like this but cost me $19 from
                              FogDog.
                              http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-823104-Deluxe-Hammock-
                              Stand/dp/B0019X00PC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-
                              goods&qid=1228778445&sr=1-6

                              It works fine, just takes up a lot of space in terms of length.