Re: Is 1 stud enough?

  • dennis barrett
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealaustin@...> wrote:

      > I've been out in the hammock quite a bit and want to hang a hammock in
      > a room in my house. I have a typical American house with 2x4 studs
      > that are 16" apart under gypsum board. My question is: If I screw a
      > eye-bolt with into a stud in each of the walls would it hold? Would
      > the horozontal pull possibly damage the walls. The walls are 9 feet
      > apart and non-load bearing. Would I need to structure the load over 2
      > studs? I weigh 200 lbs

      I have my eno hanging in my house, but my tie points are next to a window and a closet,
      so I have extra support there, but still into 2x4. a problem with setting the eye bolt is
      getting the height right for the distance between the two tie off points. You could always
      put a second hole in, if you had to ..... but as already mentioned, going the route of better
      safe than ...... , yeah that's always a good idea! of course you could always make a
      "bracket" for the eyebolts by spanning two 2x4s using a 2x8 (or bigger). paint or
      decorate it as you'd like .... but then you'd have 4 bolts in your wall holding your eyebolt
      bracket to the wall. btw, I use my hammock in my house everyday, sometimes sleep in it
      or tap naps during the day, like now, as I've got a terrible cold/flu ....... Mostly I watch tv
      in my hammock .... I bet this idea will become the next new home decorating tv idea ...
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
           I have to agree w/ "j.a. tackett".  You might get away w/ it for a while, but you're probably asking for a sore tail bone... not to mention damage to the wall.
            If going the extra lengths to make it stronger is more than you want to do, you might take a look at some of the hammock stands available.   ...Tim

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
          Hi, J.A.-

          I'm not a carpenter, "nor do I play one on TV..." <w>

          Could the hammock hanging conundrum be solved in a more aestheticly-pleasing
          manner described next?

          Choose load-bearing walls. Install a pair (opposite each other) of wooden
          shelves with aprons at a height that works for the hammock. Hide a steel
          plate behind the apron, if necessary. Install carriage bolts through the
          aprons into 2 or 3 studs, passing as well through the steel plates. Plug
          the holes to cover the bolts. Install eye bolts in the placements of
          choice, and some "Shaker pegs." Place knick-knacks, books, hiking
          memorabelia/gear on shelves and decorative or functional items on pegs. If
          the hammock is taken down for any reason, just hang something over the eye
          bolts for camoflage.

          I THINK this would spread out the load when the hammock is used. If
          load-bearing walls are not available to this project, I would be looking at
          maybe installing a vertical floor to ceiling component that could attach to
          the ceiling and floor and be made decorative.

          Is this at all workable, in your professional opinion?

          Regards,

          Rosaleen

          Re: Is 1 stud enough?
          Posted by: "j.a. tackett" conifir1@... conifir1

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
            One solution I heard about but have not tried personally is to hang the
            hammock from a 2x4 beam running across the room so the beam takes the load
            in compression. The beam is held in a wooden "U" bracket on both ends, this
            brackett then only carries 1/2 of your weight in a vertical direction, which
            a couple lag bolts into the 2x4 will easily manage. When you take dowm the
            hammock the beam can be lifted out as well and placed along the floor out of
            the way. Perhaps the person who actually did this will chime in with a
            long-term use report. It makes sense to me.

            Carey

            > I've been out in the hammock quite a bit and want to hang a hammock in
            > a room in my house. I have a typical American house with 2x4 studs
            > that are 16" apart under gypsum board. My question is: If I screw a
            > eye-bolt with into a stud in each of the walls would it hold? Would
            > the horozontal pull possibly damage the walls. The walls are 9 feet
            > apart and non-load bearing. Would I need to structure the load over 2
            > studs? I weigh 200 lbs

            I have my eno hanging in my house, but my tie points are next to a window
            and a closet,
            so I have extra support there, but still into 2x4. a problem with setting
            the eye bolt is
            getting the height right for the distance between the two tie off points.
            You could always
            put a second hole in, if you had to ..... but as already mentioned, going
            the route of better
            safe than ...... , yeah that's always a good idea! of course you could
            always make a
            "bracket" for the eyebolts by spanning two 2x4s using a 2x8 (or bigger).
            paint or
            decorate it as you'd like .... but then you'd have 4 bolts in your wall
            holding your eyebolt
            bracket to the wall. btw, I use my hammock in my house everyday, sometimes
            sleep in it
            or tap naps during the day, like now, as I've got a terrible cold/flu
            ....... Mostly I watch tv
            in my hammock .... I bet this idea will become the next new home
            decorating tv idea ...

          • j.a. tackett
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
              i was just taking the idea of replacing the 4x4`s like being trees.....
              yeah if some thought is put into it you probablly could come up with something that is pleasing to the eye.....personally i like open walls ...to each their own....

              Posted by: "j.a. tackett" conifir1@yahoo. com conifir1

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
                In a word no ! don't risk it. 1- 2x4 stud that is 16" apart will not work with time they will bow under the weight and you will have cracked walls and or the screw eye may rip out. Furthermore depending on how secure the walls/studs are to the floor and celling you may even pull the whole wall down.

                You could use a 2x8 or 10 x 24 inches wide horizontally mounted on the outside of the walls to spread the weight between two vertical studs. Than use 2 eye-bolts through a horizontal 2x4on the inside the walls bolted through to the outside 2x8.

                Personally I would build a frame of 3- 4x4s and 1- 2x4. One 4x4 horizontal at the top stretching between and lag screwed into 2 vertical 4x4s against the walls with a 2x4 as a stretcher at the bottom to keep the legs from pulling in. Than L brackets to support horizontal legs on the floor to keep it all vertical. With this you can hang the hammock from the top or from the sides or hang 2 hammock chairs from the top side by side.

                Don't use screw-eyes, use eye-bolts that go clear through and use oversize washers before securing the nuts on the bolt

                Or a frame of steel pipe as described elsewhere on this forum.
                see
                <http://www.imrisk.com/hammockstand/hammockstand.htm>
                and
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/message/5036>
                in the photo section see image 6 in the album 'Rainbow04'
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/album/2054279391/pic/list>
                <http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm>

                Sapere Aude,

                Arye P. Rubenstein

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
                    Not bad Rosaleen. I ran a carriage bolt through an exterior wall & secured it w/ a small metal plate & bolt on the outside.
                      But that's a creative way you described, to use an inside wall & keep it looking good.

                  Date: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:53 am ((PST))

                • CHRISNIMON@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
                    I did this in my old house. I weigh 219 lbs. slept in it 2 - 3 times a week and never had a problem.
                    BUT I? did make sure i had plenty of droop so that there was more downward?pressure?on the stud rather than horizontal.

                  • Andrew Raney
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
                      I use three 1/4" eyebolts at each end with a climbing "load equalizer",
                      and have supported over 350 pounds with no crumbling walls.
                      The eyebolts are at about a 30* angle so there is no downward pull on
                      the wood.
                      Andrew
                    • Neal
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
                        I really like Carey's Idea and after thinking it through I think
                        that's the solution that I will be choosing. First I will be using two
                        Eye-bolts on each wall into a stud exactly 1 2x4 height above each
                        other. The 2x4 rests on the bottom eye-bolt( rated 175 lbs) with a
                        lagbolt between the two eyes and through the 2x4 (Kinda like a hinge).
                        Another eyed lagbolt will go through the 2x4 with the eye on the
                        bottom. This solution can also go into a corner of a room using two
                        adjacent walls. The 2x4 resting on the eye-bolt absorbs all of the
                        horizontal pull. The Stud in the wall can absorb the vertical weight.
                        It's easily removable with only the 4 eye-bolts remaining in the two
                        walls. One reason I want to use this hinge type construction is
                        because the Studs in the opposing walls don't line up. Also I will be
                        connecting two 2x4's together with 3 lag-bolts (2 with wing-nuts 1
                        normal) to make the 2x4 bar foldable and thus more portable.
                      • amendment2@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 26, 2008
                          The biggest problem I see with bthat is the potential for two eyebolts 3 1/2 to 4 inches apart to split the stud. You definitely want to drill a pilot hole and you want the hole centered on the studs. Good luck! Tell us how.it works out.
                          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
                            You are right. I thought about that too. I did use the same size
                            eye-bolt for the top and bottom but I drilled good sized pilot holes
                            for both. Now I realize that the top bolt can be pretty wimpy because
                            it's only purpose is to stabilize the 2x4 and that mostly when putting
                            up the beam.I have slept in the hammock 3 nights and it is VERY
                            stable. Remember that the actual hammock hanging eyes are on the
                            bottom of the 2x4.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
                              good luck finding the stud center through the wall.

                              Better yet would be to replace the 2x4 with a 2x8 or 2x12 placed on the other side of the wall spanning horizontally across at least 2 studs and place the eye bolts at least 12 inches (30cm) apart just through the walls (not the studs) and through to the 2x8 or 2x12. A piece of webbing or re-bar between the eye bolts can be used to anchor the hammock too.
                              To disguise the 2x's attach a 1x with screws or brackets to form a shelf, finish as would like if not with paint or stain try a self adhesive product like Contact Paper (self adhesive vinyl product
                              <http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-188-contact-papers.aspx>)
                              Additionally the same can be done to disguise 2x's on the hammock side that can be installed to prevent the eye-bolts from pulling together if webbing is used.

                              Sapere Aude

                              Arye P. Rubenstein

                              ________________________________
[...]

                              __._,_.__

                            • aethericpower
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealaustin@...> wrote:

                                > I've been out in the hammock quite a bit and want to hang a hammock in
                                > a room in my house. I have a typical American house with 2x4 studs
                                > that are 16" apart under gypsum board. My question is: If I screw a
                                > eye-bolt with into a stud in each of the walls would it hold? Would
                                > the horozontal pull possibly damage the walls. The walls are 9 feet
                                > apart and non-load bearing. Would I need to structure the load over 2
                                > studs? I weigh 200 lbs

                                I used a metal pole hanging on window frames before. I used some
                                clothing to stablize the pole from rolling on the frames. My hammock
                                was tied to the pole.

                                Currently I am using a stand that looks like this but cost me $19 from
                                FogDog.
                                http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-823104-Deluxe-Hammock-
                                Stand/dp/B0019X00PC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-
                                goods&qid=1228778445&sr=1-6

                                It works fine, just takes up a lot of space in terms of length.