Re: [Hammock Camping] sleeping bags

  • j.a. tackett
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 21, 2008
      out of all the replys i have gotten yours was the best! your answer stuck to the point
      i did not get some  political crap i did not need.....
      you answered the question....thank you

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 21, 2008
        It's inconvenient to get yourself into any sleeping bag with a hammock.
        I have 2 Hennessys and need to don the sleeping bag while standing
        through the bottom slit, then sit back, pull in my feet, etc. Add a pad
        to the mix and you can be involved in quite the wrestling match. I did
        that only once. It's no easier in a conventional (top entry)
        gathered-end hammock.
        What to do? Mummy bag, left open, feet in the foot box and drape it
        over you and tuck the sides under you. The supershelter will provide
        under body insulation.

        If I might chime in.

        Most of the problems I've seen with sleeping bags and hammocks is people are
        trying to slide INTO them like they would on the ground (the hard horrid
        ground). Open the bag up and lay in it then pull the top over like you do
        when you get into a bed.

        Once I show my scouts that, their life is much easier.

        I too would reccommend a mummy style bag, less weight and bulk, more
        warmth. And you will find you toss and roll around a whole lot less in a
        hammock.

        And as someone who also has woke up panicked in the dark because I couldn't
        find my way out of a bag, I now sleep with a flashlight around my neck (and
        two in my HH pouch!! :] )

        Ralph

        PS my scouts sleep in a version of the Risk Test Hammock (toploader) that we
        make for under $10 and don' t ever want to go to ground again.

      • j.a. tackett
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 21, 2008
          back in the dark ages when i was stationed in africa....i slept in a hammock for almost 5 years....and i used a rectangular bag.....
          i just layed the bag on the hammock and crawled on top of it....
          but that was a rectangular .....
          but that was then....when i was in my 20`s
          now in my late 50`s and getting ready to hit the road on my bicycle...
          i just thought i start asking questions before i make a mistake
          but in the 70`s when you are young and dumb .....you don`t ask questions
          thanks for your in put....
          this is what i need before being uncomfortable....