Re: [Hammock Camping] sleeping bags

  • Richard Perlman
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 21, 2008
      This is also being discussed on the backpackinglight@yahoogroups list.

      Since it involves hammocking, I figured my answer would be appreciated
      here, too.

      Rich

      j.a. tackett wrote:

      > > my question is the choice of sleeping bag....with the use of my hennesey hammock super shelter....
      > > i know that i am going to get a rectangular syle of bag.....
      > > it was the temp choice of the bag.....

      In my experience of hammock hanging for the past 3 years (I have not
      slept on the ground since then) I could not recommend ANY rectangular
      sleeping bag. It's not like you can spread out and take advantage of
      all that extra room anyway (hammocks are rather confining by nature),
      plus it takes that much more body heat to get and keep the thing warm.

      It's inconvenient to get yourself into any sleeping bag with a hammock.
      I have 2 Hennessys and need to don the sleeping bag while standing
      through the bottom slit, then sit back, pull in my feet, etc. Add a pad
      to the mix and you can be involved in quite the wrestling match. I did
      that only once. It's no easier in a conventional (top entry)
      gathered-end hammock.

      What to do? Mummy bag, left open, feet in the foot box and drape it
      over you and tuck the sides under you. The supershelter will provide
      under body insulation.

      OR, a quilt made for hammocking which is narrower and therefor lighter,
      such as:
      http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Products.htm
      http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/TopBlanket.htm

      > > should i go for a 0 degree @F or the 20 degree @F the difference is 1lb in weight between them...

      That depends on how warm you sleep and environmental issues, such as,
      temperature, wind, humidity, etc.

      Rich

    • j.a. tackett
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 21, 2008
        out of all the replys i have gotten yours was the best! your answer stuck to the point
        i did not get some  political crap i did not need.....
        you answered the question....thank you

        j.a. tackett wrote:

        > > my question is the choice of sleeping bag....with the use of my hennesey hammock super shelter....
        > > i know that i am going to get a rectangular syle of bag.....
        > > it was the temp choice of the bag.....

        In my experience of hammock hanging for the past 3 years (I have not
        slept on the ground since then) I could not recommend ANY rectangular
        sleeping bag. It's not like you can spread out and take advantage of
        all that extra room anyway (hammocks are rather confining by nature),
        plus it takes that much more body heat to get and keep the thing warm.

        It's inconvenient to get yourself into any sleeping bag with a hammock.
        I have 2 Hennessys and need to don the sleeping bag while standing
        through the bottom slit, then sit back, pull in my feet, etc. Add a pad
        to the mix and you can be involved in quite the wrestling match. I did
        that only once. It's no easier in a conventional (top entry)
        gathered-end hammock.

        What to do? Mummy bag, left open, feet in the foot box and drape it
        over you and tuck the sides under you. The supershelter will provide
        under body insulation.

        OR, a quilt made for hammocking which is narrower and therefor lighter,
        such as:
        http://www.jacksrbe tter.com/ Products. htm
        http://www.speerham mocks.com/ Products/ TopBlanket. htm

        > > should i go for a 0 degree @F or the 20 degree @F the difference is 1lb in weight between them...

        That depends on how warm you sleep and environmental issues, such as,
        temperature, wind, humidity, etc.

        Rich

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 21, 2008
          It's inconvenient to get yourself into any sleeping bag with a hammock.
          I have 2 Hennessys and need to don the sleeping bag while standing
          through the bottom slit, then sit back, pull in my feet, etc. Add a pad
          to the mix and you can be involved in quite the wrestling match. I did
          that only once. It's no easier in a conventional (top entry)
          gathered-end hammock.
          What to do? Mummy bag, left open, feet in the foot box and drape it
          over you and tuck the sides under you. The supershelter will provide
          under body insulation.

          If I might chime in.

          Most of the problems I've seen with sleeping bags and hammocks is people are
          trying to slide INTO them like they would on the ground (the hard horrid
          ground). Open the bag up and lay in it then pull the top over like you do
          when you get into a bed.

          Once I show my scouts that, their life is much easier.

          I too would reccommend a mummy style bag, less weight and bulk, more
          warmth. And you will find you toss and roll around a whole lot less in a
          hammock.

          And as someone who also has woke up panicked in the dark because I couldn't
          find my way out of a bag, I now sleep with a flashlight around my neck (and
          two in my HH pouch!! :] )

          Ralph

          PS my scouts sleep in a version of the Risk Test Hammock (toploader) that we
          make for under $10 and don' t ever want to go to ground again.

        • j.a. tackett
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 21, 2008
            back in the dark ages when i was stationed in africa....i slept in a hammock for almost 5 years....and i used a rectangular bag.....
            i just layed the bag on the hammock and crawled on top of it....
            but that was a rectangular .....
            but that was then....when i was in my 20`s
            now in my late 50`s and getting ready to hit the road on my bicycle...
            i just thought i start asking questions before i make a mistake
            but in the 70`s when you are young and dumb .....you don`t ask questions
            thanks for your in put....
            this is what i need before being uncomfortable....