sleeping bags

  • conifir1
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 21, 2008
      i have narrowed my choice down to 2 bags
      i figured these 2 would work just right with my HH Super Shelter
      both bags are rectangular.....
      i remember a long time ago in another galaxy i woke up in the night and
      apparently i must i moved around enough in the mummy bag i had..
      i woke up opposite facing of the zipper.....i freaked so this is why
      i am going back to rectangular bag i can use it like a blanket .....
      so i am curious what others here use ....mummy or rectangular ????
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 21, 2008
        http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bags/Specialty.html

        I use the blue (Vireo) bag. It is a half (3/4) bag with no hood.
        Put my jacket over it. That avoids the scary waking up not knowing the
        way out of the mummy bag feeling

        TV
      • j.a. tackett
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 21, 2008
          thanks for the turn on.......
          i like the wren......it is almost like the rectangular bag i have found....and the same weight......

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 21, 2008
            This is also being discussed on the backpackinglight@yahoogroups list.

            Since it involves hammocking, I figured my answer would be appreciated
            here, too.

            Rich

            j.a. tackett wrote:

            > > my question is the choice of sleeping bag....with the use of my hennesey hammock super shelter....
            > > i know that i am going to get a rectangular syle of bag.....
            > > it was the temp choice of the bag.....

            In my experience of hammock hanging for the past 3 years (I have not
            slept on the ground since then) I could not recommend ANY rectangular
            sleeping bag. It's not like you can spread out and take advantage of
            all that extra room anyway (hammocks are rather confining by nature),
            plus it takes that much more body heat to get and keep the thing warm.

            It's inconvenient to get yourself into any sleeping bag with a hammock.
            I have 2 Hennessys and need to don the sleeping bag while standing
            through the bottom slit, then sit back, pull in my feet, etc. Add a pad
            to the mix and you can be involved in quite the wrestling match. I did
            that only once. It's no easier in a conventional (top entry)
            gathered-end hammock.

            What to do? Mummy bag, left open, feet in the foot box and drape it
            over you and tuck the sides under you. The supershelter will provide
            under body insulation.

            OR, a quilt made for hammocking which is narrower and therefor lighter,
            such as:
            http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Products.htm
            http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/TopBlanket.htm

            > > should i go for a 0 degree @F or the 20 degree @F the difference is 1lb in weight between them...

            That depends on how warm you sleep and environmental issues, such as,
            temperature, wind, humidity, etc.

            Rich

          • j.a. tackett
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 21, 2008
              out of all the replys i have gotten yours was the best! your answer stuck to the point
              i did not get some  political crap i did not need.....
              you answered the question....thank you

              j.a. tackett wrote:

              > > my question is the choice of sleeping bag....with the use of my hennesey hammock super shelter....
              > > i know that i am going to get a rectangular syle of bag.....
              > > it was the temp choice of the bag.....

              In my experience of hammock hanging for the past 3 years (I have not
              slept on the ground since then) I could not recommend ANY rectangular
              sleeping bag. It's not like you can spread out and take advantage of
              all that extra room anyway (hammocks are rather confining by nature),
              plus it takes that much more body heat to get and keep the thing warm.

              It's inconvenient to get yourself into any sleeping bag with a hammock.
              I have 2 Hennessys and need to don the sleeping bag while standing
              through the bottom slit, then sit back, pull in my feet, etc. Add a pad
              to the mix and you can be involved in quite the wrestling match. I did
              that only once. It's no easier in a conventional (top entry)
              gathered-end hammock.

              What to do? Mummy bag, left open, feet in the foot box and drape it
              over you and tuck the sides under you. The supershelter will provide
              under body insulation.

              OR, a quilt made for hammocking which is narrower and therefor lighter,
              such as:
              http://www.jacksrbe tter.com/ Products. htm
              http://www.speerham mocks.com/ Products/ TopBlanket. htm

              > > should i go for a 0 degree @F or the 20 degree @F the difference is 1lb in weight between them...

              That depends on how warm you sleep and environmental issues, such as,
              temperature, wind, humidity, etc.

              Rich

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 21, 2008
                It's inconvenient to get yourself into any sleeping bag with a hammock.
                I have 2 Hennessys and need to don the sleeping bag while standing
                through the bottom slit, then sit back, pull in my feet, etc. Add a pad
                to the mix and you can be involved in quite the wrestling match. I did
                that only once. It's no easier in a conventional (top entry)
                gathered-end hammock.
                What to do? Mummy bag, left open, feet in the foot box and drape it
                over you and tuck the sides under you. The supershelter will provide
                under body insulation.

                If I might chime in.

                Most of the problems I've seen with sleeping bags and hammocks is people are
                trying to slide INTO them like they would on the ground (the hard horrid
                ground). Open the bag up and lay in it then pull the top over like you do
                when you get into a bed.

                Once I show my scouts that, their life is much easier.

                I too would reccommend a mummy style bag, less weight and bulk, more
                warmth. And you will find you toss and roll around a whole lot less in a
                hammock.

                And as someone who also has woke up panicked in the dark because I couldn't
                find my way out of a bag, I now sleep with a flashlight around my neck (and
                two in my HH pouch!! :] )

                Ralph

                PS my scouts sleep in a version of the Risk Test Hammock (toploader) that we
                make for under $10 and don' t ever want to go to ground again.

              • j.a. tackett
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 21, 2008
                  back in the dark ages when i was stationed in africa....i slept in a hammock for almost 5 years....and i used a rectangular bag.....
                  i just layed the bag on the hammock and crawled on top of it....
                  but that was a rectangular .....
                  but that was then....when i was in my 20`s
                  now in my late 50`s and getting ready to hit the road on my bicycle...
                  i just thought i start asking questions before i make a mistake
                  but in the 70`s when you are young and dumb .....you don`t ask questions
                  thanks for your in put....
                  this is what i need before being uncomfortable....