Re: sleeping bag

  • ypsyculman
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 13, 2008
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "conifir1" <conifir1@...>
      wrote:

      > i own a hh super shelter
      > the reason i bought it is for comfort...
      > now i have in the past owned goose down bags to sleep in....
      > and they are great as long as they do not get wet...
      > so last week i picked up a marmot aspen 40 degree 2lb 2 oz bag
      > this is a synthetic bag...
      > also i saw that marmot also has this bag in goose down...for a few
      > dollrs more....but again in the back of my mind i do not want to
      deal
      > with trying to dry out a down bag while traveling on my mountain
      > bike ....
      >
      > so i need some input...
      > oh yes i do have a heatsheets emergency bivvy to put on top of the
      cell
      > foam for extra insulation ...
      >
      > so what i am asking is for pro`s and cons on "down bags"
      to "synthetic
      > bags" with the use of a hh super shelter...

      REPLY:
      I also have a HH SS, and have hiked in virtual constant rain, as well
      as fallen over in a rushing creek. My bag was compressed in a 'water
      resistant' stuff sack, in my pack. It has never gotten even slightly
      damp. Condensation has never affected it either. Including my bike
      packing, and from what I have read on various net postings, wet
      sleeping bags are not very likely. You could double bag it, with the
      outside bag being a new clean trash bag. Nashbar WP panniers have
      never let me down.
    • Richard Perlman
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2008
        I would suggest putting the garbage bag on the inside. That way the
        nylon stuff sack protects it from getting punctured.

        There are also some ultra lightweight "dry bags" on the market from Sea
        to Summit.
        http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/7
        And the same thing as a whole pack liner
        http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/5

        Rich