RE: [Hammock Camping] sleeping bag

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 13, 2008
      For me, down bags are just plain warmer.
      I have two that I use depending on the temps.
      Normally I use a Feathered Friends Vireo and a jacket.
      If it gets too cold I have Golite bag that goes to 0 F and has less down on
      the bottom.

      Either way, they are lighter and warmer than a synthetic bag or at least
      imho

      TV
    • ypsyculman
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2008
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "conifir1" <conifir1@...>
        wrote:

        > i own a hh super shelter
        > the reason i bought it is for comfort...
        > now i have in the past owned goose down bags to sleep in....
        > and they are great as long as they do not get wet...
        > so last week i picked up a marmot aspen 40 degree 2lb 2 oz bag
        > this is a synthetic bag...
        > also i saw that marmot also has this bag in goose down...for a few
        > dollrs more....but again in the back of my mind i do not want to
        deal
        > with trying to dry out a down bag while traveling on my mountain
        > bike ....
        >
        > so i need some input...
        > oh yes i do have a heatsheets emergency bivvy to put on top of the
        cell
        > foam for extra insulation ...
        >
        > so what i am asking is for pro`s and cons on "down bags"
        to "synthetic
        > bags" with the use of a hh super shelter...

        REPLY:
        I also have a HH SS, and have hiked in virtual constant rain, as well
        as fallen over in a rushing creek. My bag was compressed in a 'water
        resistant' stuff sack, in my pack. It has never gotten even slightly
        damp. Condensation has never affected it either. Including my bike
        packing, and from what I have read on various net postings, wet
        sleeping bags are not very likely. You could double bag it, with the
        outside bag being a new clean trash bag. Nashbar WP panniers have
        never let me down.
      • Richard Perlman
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 13, 2008
          I would suggest putting the garbage bag on the inside. That way the
          nylon stuff sack protects it from getting punctured.

          There are also some ultra lightweight "dry bags" on the market from Sea
          to Summit.
          http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/7
          And the same thing as a whole pack liner
          http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/5

          Rich