sleeping bag

  • conifir1
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 13, 2008
      i own a hh super shelter
      the reason i bought it is for comfort...
      now i have in the past owned goose down bags to sleep in....
      and they are great as long as they do not get wet...
      so last week i picked up a marmot aspen 40 degree 2lb 2 oz bag
      this is a synthetic bag...
      also i saw that marmot also has this bag in goose down...for a few
      dollrs more....but again in the back of my mind i do not want to deal
      with trying to dry out a down bag while traveling on my mountain
      bike ....

      so i need some input...
      oh yes i do have a heatsheets emergency bivvy to put on top of the cell
      foam for extra insulation ...

      so what i am asking is for pro`s and cons on "down bags" to "synthetic
      bags" with the use of a hh super shelter...
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2008
        For me, down bags are just plain warmer.
        I have two that I use depending on the temps.
        Normally I use a Feathered Friends Vireo and a jacket.
        If it gets too cold I have Golite bag that goes to 0 F and has less down on
        the bottom.

        Either way, they are lighter and warmer than a synthetic bag or at least
        imho

        TV
      • ypsyculman
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 13, 2008
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "conifir1" <conifir1@...>
          wrote:

          > i own a hh super shelter
          > the reason i bought it is for comfort...
          > now i have in the past owned goose down bags to sleep in....
          > and they are great as long as they do not get wet...
          > so last week i picked up a marmot aspen 40 degree 2lb 2 oz bag
          > this is a synthetic bag...
          > also i saw that marmot also has this bag in goose down...for a few
          > dollrs more....but again in the back of my mind i do not want to
          deal
          > with trying to dry out a down bag while traveling on my mountain
          > bike ....
          >
          > so i need some input...
          > oh yes i do have a heatsheets emergency bivvy to put on top of the
          cell
          > foam for extra insulation ...
          >
          > so what i am asking is for pro`s and cons on "down bags"
          to "synthetic
          > bags" with the use of a hh super shelter...

          REPLY:
          I also have a HH SS, and have hiked in virtual constant rain, as well
          as fallen over in a rushing creek. My bag was compressed in a 'water
          resistant' stuff sack, in my pack. It has never gotten even slightly
          damp. Condensation has never affected it either. Including my bike
          packing, and from what I have read on various net postings, wet
          sleeping bags are not very likely. You could double bag it, with the
          outside bag being a new clean trash bag. Nashbar WP panniers have
          never let me down.
        • Richard Perlman
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 13, 2008
            I would suggest putting the garbage bag on the inside. That way the
            nylon stuff sack protects it from getting punctured.

            There are also some ultra lightweight "dry bags" on the market from Sea
            to Summit.
            http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/7
            And the same thing as a whole pack liner
            http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/5

            Rich