RE: [Hammock Camping] which is best, inflatable or foam sleeping mat

  • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
      I prefer closed-cell foam pads. Starting with a pad that's about 2 x 6
      feet (60 x 180 cm), I cut the pad in half to create two pieces 2 x 3
      feet (60 x 90 cm). I roll these and put them inside my backpack to form
      the internal frame of the pack. I put them in the hammock either
      side-by-side, or in a T shape. This is the best value for under-body
      insulation I've found. Having two pieces makes it possible to create
      insulation that's wide enough to cover my shoulders, but that can still
      be packed comfortably.

      I don't know about using them in an HH though, as that design makes it
      somewhat more difficult to manage what's underneath you.

      Bear

    • Barb
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 13, 2008
        We use the Big Agnes Insulated inflatable mattresses in the bottom of
        our Clark Jungle Hammocks. They work very well to keep you warm and
        insulated, they roll up small, don't weigh much, and are super
        comfortable if you are forced to sleep on the ground too : )

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"