Re: [Hammock Camping] An oversize miltary foam pad---too much of a good thing?

  • j.a. tackett
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2008
      do not get me wrong ....and i am not trying to rain on your parade.....from what the guy at
      HH in B.C. told me the type of inuslated foam pad you want to use...will slide around under you all night...have you found out something different?

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2008
        Closed cell foam pads can work very well in a hammock but some are notorious
        for slipping out from under you. I struggled with this for years before
        coming up with multiple solutions. Using a 12”x12” piece of mesh rubberized
        shelf liner (5’ piece from WalMart is ~$1) between the pad & the hammock
        will stop all slipping. In addition, Dave Womble & I designed the Segmented
        Pad Extender, available from Speer Hammocks--it addresses the slipping
        issue, uses regular width pads, & provides separate insulated side wings
        that easily curve around one’s shoulders while in the hammock. The SPE also
        allows stacking of two or more sleeping pads, making it very flexible for
        all-weather hammocking. Alternately, we also offer a ¼”-thick CCF pad that
        is ‘grippy’ & does not slide on the hammock fabric….Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Author, Hammock Camping book

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        From: Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@... <mailto:xflagstaff9%40yahoo.com> >