An oversize miltary foam pad---too much of a good thing?

  • Blake Robert
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2008
      One can find almost anything on ebay with an investment of patience over days or weeks and a good selection of search terms. I wanted an oversize military type foam pad for use in my netless HH---and, my Lawson-if I ever get around to using it.

      What I found was a foam pad 72" long, 32" wide, and 1/2" thick. It cost a reasonable $12.49 but the UPS charge was $10---high from Mesa to Flagstaff but a second one only cost an additional $6 shipment charge so I ordered two. They were there the next day.

      Now, I have something that is almost too much of a good thing!!!!!!!

      As far as width---it woud do a bit of overlapping the edge of the hammock at the foot end and at the head-so, I am tempted to trim both those ends.

      Even in the hip-shoulders area----32" is a bit too generous. I am not Andre the Giant.

      Another factor---this may be the same type foam inside as the military ones---but, the outside has a more slippery texture. I can see both plusses and minuses in that feature.

      Any ideas????

      Here are links to photographs showing the new foam pad compared to a standard military issue one.

      http://s457.photobucket.com/albums/qq297/flagstaffbackpackers/?action=view¤t=CIMG0463b.jpg

      http://s457.photobucket.com/albums/qq297/flagstaffbackpackers/?action=view¤t=CIMG0464.jpg
    • j.a. tackett
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2008
        do not get me wrong ....and i am not trying to rain on your parade.....from what the guy at
        HH in B.C. told me the type of inuslated foam pad you want to use...will slide around under you all night...have you found out something different?

        http://s457. photobucket. com/albums/ qq297/flagstaffb ackpackers/ ?action=view& current=CIMG0463 b.jpg

        http://s457. photobucket. com/albums/ qq297/flagstaffb ackpackers/ ?action=view& current=CIMG0464 .jpg

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 10, 2008
          Closed cell foam pads can work very well in a hammock but some are notorious
          for slipping out from under you. I struggled with this for years before
          coming up with multiple solutions. Using a 12”x12” piece of mesh rubberized
          shelf liner (5’ piece from WalMart is ~$1) between the pad & the hammock
          will stop all slipping. In addition, Dave Womble & I designed the Segmented
          Pad Extender, available from Speer Hammocks--it addresses the slipping
          issue, uses regular width pads, & provides separate insulated side wings
          that easily curve around one’s shoulders while in the hammock. The SPE also
          allows stacking of two or more sleeping pads, making it very flexible for
          all-weather hammocking. Alternately, we also offer a ¼”-thick CCF pad that
          is ‘grippy’ & does not slide on the hammock fabric….Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Author, Hammock Camping book

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

          From: Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@... <mailto:xflagstaff9%40yahoo.com> >