Re: which is best, inflatable or foam sleeping mat

  • sjedwardson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
      what about the science side of the argument? I was always lead to
      believe that a still pocket of air would insulate much better than
      anything compressed. Considering that is all the thermarest style of
      mats is would that make it a better choice or do the smaller pockets
      of air/foam make for a better insulation layer?

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers" <redroach@...>
      wrote:

      > No, the foam pad is too bulky to roll into the snakeskins.
      > They may seem fragile, but mine has taken a fair amount of abuse
      over 3-4
      > years and is still going strong. I roll/fold it and put it in the
      bottom of
      > my pack before I take the hammock down in the mornings.
      >
      > I have never had any issues with the durability of the pad
      >
      > TV

    • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
        I prefer closed-cell foam pads. Starting with a pad that's about 2 x 6
        feet (60 x 180 cm), I cut the pad in half to create two pieces 2 x 3
        feet (60 x 90 cm). I roll these and put them inside my backpack to form
        the internal frame of the pack. I put them in the hammock either
        side-by-side, or in a T shape. This is the best value for under-body
        insulation I've found. Having two pieces makes it possible to create
        insulation that's wide enough to cover my shoulders, but that can still
        be packed comfortably.

        I don't know about using them in an HH though, as that design makes it
        somewhat more difficult to manage what's underneath you.

        Bear

      • Barb
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 13, 2008
          We use the Big Agnes Insulated inflatable mattresses in the bottom of
          our Clark Jungle Hammocks. They work very well to keep you warm and
          insulated, they roll up small, don't weigh much, and are super
          comfortable if you are forced to sleep on the ground too : )

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"