RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: which is best, inflatable or foam sleeping mat

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
      No, the foam pad is too bulky to roll into the snakeskins.
      They may seem fragile, but mine has taken a fair amount of abuse over 3-4
      years and is still going strong. I roll/fold it and put it in the bottom of
      my pack before I take the hammock down in the mornings.

      I have never had any issues with the durability of the pad

      TV
    • sjedwardson
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
        what about the science side of the argument? I was always lead to
        believe that a still pocket of air would insulate much better than
        anything compressed. Considering that is all the thermarest style of
        mats is would that make it a better choice or do the smaller pockets
        of air/foam make for a better insulation layer?

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers" <redroach@...>
        wrote:

        > No, the foam pad is too bulky to roll into the snakeskins.
        > They may seem fragile, but mine has taken a fair amount of abuse
        over 3-4
        > years and is still going strong. I roll/fold it and put it in the
        bottom of
        > my pack before I take the hammock down in the mornings.
        >
        > I have never had any issues with the durability of the pad
        >
        > TV

      • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
          I prefer closed-cell foam pads. Starting with a pad that's about 2 x 6
          feet (60 x 180 cm), I cut the pad in half to create two pieces 2 x 3
          feet (60 x 90 cm). I roll these and put them inside my backpack to form
          the internal frame of the pack. I put them in the hammock either
          side-by-side, or in a T shape. This is the best value for under-body
          insulation I've found. Having two pieces makes it possible to create
          insulation that's wide enough to cover my shoulders, but that can still
          be packed comfortably.

          I don't know about using them in an HH though, as that design makes it
          somewhat more difficult to manage what's underneath you.

          Bear

        • Barb
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 13, 2008
            We use the Big Agnes Insulated inflatable mattresses in the bottom of
            our Clark Jungle Hammocks. They work very well to keep you warm and
            insulated, they roll up small, don't weigh much, and are super
            comfortable if you are forced to sleep on the ground too : )

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"