Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: which is best, inflatable or foam sleeping mat

  • j.a. tackett
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
      i am in the same situation also......i just received in the post my hennessey super shelter....
      and here in wisconsin the weather has started to go down hill big time....
      so i picked up a marmot 2lb sleeping bag rated for 40 degree f.  and a bivy sack emergency shelter bag to put under me...on top of the cell foam....
      i`ll be bike camping...i also just received in the post my ultra lite packs for my mt bike ...
      but talking with hennessey they have told me these cell foam pads are very fragile

      what have others out here have done to  handled this situation with the foam cell fragileness?
      is it possible to roll the foam cell with the hammock into the snake skins?

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
        No, the foam pad is too bulky to roll into the snakeskins.
        They may seem fragile, but mine has taken a fair amount of abuse over 3-4
        years and is still going strong. I roll/fold it and put it in the bottom of
        my pack before I take the hammock down in the mornings.

        I have never had any issues with the durability of the pad

        TV
      • sjedwardson
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
          what about the science side of the argument? I was always lead to
          believe that a still pocket of air would insulate much better than
          anything compressed. Considering that is all the thermarest style of
          mats is would that make it a better choice or do the smaller pockets
          of air/foam make for a better insulation layer?

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers" <redroach@...>
          wrote:

          > No, the foam pad is too bulky to roll into the snakeskins.
          > They may seem fragile, but mine has taken a fair amount of abuse
          over 3-4
          > years and is still going strong. I roll/fold it and put it in the
          bottom of
          > my pack before I take the hammock down in the mornings.
          >
          > I have never had any issues with the durability of the pad
          >
          > TV

        • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
            I prefer closed-cell foam pads. Starting with a pad that's about 2 x 6
            feet (60 x 180 cm), I cut the pad in half to create two pieces 2 x 3
            feet (60 x 90 cm). I roll these and put them inside my backpack to form
            the internal frame of the pack. I put them in the hammock either
            side-by-side, or in a T shape. This is the best value for under-body
            insulation I've found. Having two pieces makes it possible to create
            insulation that's wide enough to cover my shoulders, but that can still
            be packed comfortably.

            I don't know about using them in an HH though, as that design makes it
            somewhat more difficult to manage what's underneath you.

            Bear

          • Barb
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 13, 2008
              We use the Big Agnes Insulated inflatable mattresses in the bottom of
              our Clark Jungle Hammocks. They work very well to keep you warm and
              insulated, they roll up small, don't weigh much, and are super
              comfortable if you are forced to sleep on the ground too : )

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"