Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: which is best, inflatable or foam sleeping mat

  • pure mahem
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
      If you've never tested that bag in those conditions before you may want to bring some extra insulation. Wind chill and precipitation can severly affect that rating 2C with a 10kmh wind is gonna make that 0c bag feel like a paper thin napkin. If you add in some rain with a cross wind your a soggy frozen napkin. I'm Not trying to deter you but just for warn you to bring some extra insulation to be prepared. Since your car camping I'ls bring almost everything I have to help me stay warm so you not only have something to fall back on but you also can experiment with different items to find out what works best for you! Everyone does something just a little bit different mainly because everyone has a different opinion and everyone sleeps differently from each other. Some cold some warm! Above all have a Great Trip!!!

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
        Thanks for the replies, all good sound advice. I think I shall take a
        bivvy bag to put the sleeping bag into so I have an extra layer around
        me and then I can also pack that full of stuff if I start to get cold.
        It also sounds like that either the thermarest or the foam are
        equally good so thanks to those that replied.

        Sam

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:

        > If you've never tested that bag in those conditions before you may
        want to bring some extra insulation. Wind chill and precipitation can
        severly affect that rating 2C with a 10kmh wind is gonna make that 0c
        bag feel like a paper thin napkin. If you add in some rain with a
        cross wind your a soggy frozen napkin. I'm Not trying to deter you but
        just for warn you to bring some extra insulation to be prepared. Since
        your car camping I'ls bring almost everything I have to help me stay
        warm so you not only have something to fall back on but you also can
        experiment with different items to find out what works best for you!
        Everyone does something just a little bit different mainly because
        everyone has a different opinion and everyone sleeps differently from
        each other. Some cold some warm! Above all have a Great Trip!!!

        > ________________________________

      • j.a. tackett
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
          i am in the same situation also......i just received in the post my hennessey super shelter....
          and here in wisconsin the weather has started to go down hill big time....
          so i picked up a marmot 2lb sleeping bag rated for 40 degree f.  and a bivy sack emergency shelter bag to put under me...on top of the cell foam....
          i`ll be bike camping...i also just received in the post my ultra lite packs for my mt bike ...
          but talking with hennessey they have told me these cell foam pads are very fragile

          what have others out here have done to  handled this situation with the foam cell fragileness?
          is it possible to roll the foam cell with the hammock into the snake skins?

          Thanks for the replies, all good sound advice. I think I shall take a
          bivvy bag to put the sleeping bag into so I have an extra layer around
          me and then I can also pack that full of stuff if I start to get cold.
          It also sounds like that either the thermarest or the foam are
          equally good so thanks to those that replied.

          Sam

          --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@ ...> wrote:

          > If you've never tested that bag in those conditions before you may
          want to bring some extra insulation. Wind chill and precipitation can
          severly affect that rating 2C with a 10kmh wind is gonna make that 0c
          bag feel like a paper thin napkin. If you add in some rain with a
          cross wind your a soggy frozen napkin. I'm Not trying to deter you but
          just for warn you to bring some extra insulation to be prepared. Since
          your car camping I'ls bring almost everything I have to help me stay
          warm so you not only have something to fall back on but you also can
          experiment with different items to find out what works best for you!
          Everyone does something just a little bit different mainly because
          everyone has a different opinion and everyone sleeps differently from
          each other. Some cold some warm! Above all have a Great Trip!!!

          > ____________ _________ _________ __

        • Thomas Vickers
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
            No, the foam pad is too bulky to roll into the snakeskins.
            They may seem fragile, but mine has taken a fair amount of abuse over 3-4
            years and is still going strong. I roll/fold it and put it in the bottom of
            my pack before I take the hammock down in the mornings.

            I have never had any issues with the durability of the pad

            TV
          • sjedwardson
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
              what about the science side of the argument? I was always lead to
              believe that a still pocket of air would insulate much better than
              anything compressed. Considering that is all the thermarest style of
              mats is would that make it a better choice or do the smaller pockets
              of air/foam make for a better insulation layer?

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers" <redroach@...>
              wrote:

              > No, the foam pad is too bulky to roll into the snakeskins.
              > They may seem fragile, but mine has taken a fair amount of abuse
              over 3-4
              > years and is still going strong. I roll/fold it and put it in the
              bottom of
              > my pack before I take the hammock down in the mornings.
              >
              > I have never had any issues with the durability of the pad
              >
              > TV

            • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                I prefer closed-cell foam pads. Starting with a pad that's about 2 x 6
                feet (60 x 180 cm), I cut the pad in half to create two pieces 2 x 3
                feet (60 x 90 cm). I roll these and put them inside my backpack to form
                the internal frame of the pack. I put them in the hammock either
                side-by-side, or in a T shape. This is the best value for under-body
                insulation I've found. Having two pieces makes it possible to create
                insulation that's wide enough to cover my shoulders, but that can still
                be packed comfortably.

                I don't know about using them in an HH though, as that design makes it
                somewhat more difficult to manage what's underneath you.

                Bear

              • Barb
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 13, 2008
                  We use the Big Agnes Insulated inflatable mattresses in the bottom of
                  our Clark Jungle Hammocks. They work very well to keep you warm and
                  insulated, they roll up small, don't weigh much, and are super
                  comfortable if you are forced to sleep on the ground too : )

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"