RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: which is best, inflatable or foam sleeping mat

  • David Fox
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
      Car camping means driving to the spot you are camping at and carrying
      everything in the car instead of in a back pack.

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
        Sam,
        Car Camping!
        Yes driving to the camp site and camping there is what I meant.

        2C=35F to8C=45F
        Looks like you will be in fairely cold but not quite to freezing water.
        Car camping will allow you to take extra things for warmth if you need it
        and do some experiments' to what works best for you.

        What type of hammock do you have?
        Clark, Spears, Hennesy, others.
        Some hammocks have a second layer to the bottem that you can add insulation
        for more warmth such as leaves or what ever you have availalbe.

        Your sleeping bag temp rating sounds just right for this trip but remember a
        hammock can sleep cold from air circulating around you. A light weight mylar
        sheet can be rigged to hang under your hammock to keep wind out and warmth
        in, it will pool some moisture though. Connecting it to the hammock is
        something others could describe to you as I have not done this before..

        If I weren't camping to test a system for cold weather backpacking, I'd
        take everything but the kitchen sink to keep warm with just in case..
        But ya gotta understand as a wanna be backpacker
        I'm loaded with stuff to try, like a down expeed mattress, thermarest 3/4
        and full lenght thermarest, supershelter, mylar surround blanket, mylar
        sheet, closed cell foam pads x several, fleece sleeping bag liner, silk
        liner, silk underwear, fleece thermal pants and top, medium weight fleece
        jacket, three down sleeping bags that can be nested inside of each other,.
        heavy down jacket(not needed in TN), down booties, ski pants, wool socks,
        knee length light weight winter nylon coat, a heavy fake tiger fur coat,
        (that's been a life saver when I was 104F chillin inside with the flu one
        winter, again not usualy needed in TN)

        I know TMI.

        This winter I will sleep out in my hammock to find out what works best for
        me and keep it as light weight as I can. I'm leain' toward using the down
        exped mattress first
        with only one down sleeping bag and perhaps the super shelter.

        Rogene
      • pure mahem
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
          If you've never tested that bag in those conditions before you may want to bring some extra insulation. Wind chill and precipitation can severly affect that rating 2C with a 10kmh wind is gonna make that 0c bag feel like a paper thin napkin. If you add in some rain with a cross wind your a soggy frozen napkin. I'm Not trying to deter you but just for warn you to bring some extra insulation to be prepared. Since your car camping I'ls bring almost everything I have to help me stay warm so you not only have something to fall back on but you also can experiment with different items to find out what works best for you! Everyone does something just a little bit different mainly because everyone has a different opinion and everyone sleeps differently from each other. Some cold some warm! Above all have a Great Trip!!!

          ________________________________

          --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@... > wrote:

          > Sam,
          > Are you car camping or backpacking and what are the expected night
          temps adn
          > wind? Are you using a hammock or sleeping on the ground?
          > Does your backpack require a tubular rolled foam mat inserted for
          > stabilization?
          >
          > IF car camping and lying on the ground I'd take both matts, If you are
          > getting into cold weather say under 50-45F degress in a hammock I'd
          take
          > both matts for the added warmth and a mylar blanket just in case you
          get
          > really cold.
          >
          > Have you tested your sleeping bag for it;s warmth for your own
          comfort range
          > at the temps you expect to be camping..
          > In other words your reqirements need to match the weather conditions
          you
          > expect.
          >
          > Rogene.
          > ..
          >

          > .

        • sjedwardson
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
            Thanks for the replies, all good sound advice. I think I shall take a
            bivvy bag to put the sleeping bag into so I have an extra layer around
            me and then I can also pack that full of stuff if I start to get cold.
            It also sounds like that either the thermarest or the foam are
            equally good so thanks to those that replied.

            Sam

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:

            > If you've never tested that bag in those conditions before you may
            want to bring some extra insulation. Wind chill and precipitation can
            severly affect that rating 2C with a 10kmh wind is gonna make that 0c
            bag feel like a paper thin napkin. If you add in some rain with a
            cross wind your a soggy frozen napkin. I'm Not trying to deter you but
            just for warn you to bring some extra insulation to be prepared. Since
            your car camping I'ls bring almost everything I have to help me stay
            warm so you not only have something to fall back on but you also can
            experiment with different items to find out what works best for you!
            Everyone does something just a little bit different mainly because
            everyone has a different opinion and everyone sleeps differently from
            each other. Some cold some warm! Above all have a Great Trip!!!

            > ________________________________

          • j.a. tackett
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
              i am in the same situation also......i just received in the post my hennessey super shelter....
              and here in wisconsin the weather has started to go down hill big time....
              so i picked up a marmot 2lb sleeping bag rated for 40 degree f.  and a bivy sack emergency shelter bag to put under me...on top of the cell foam....
              i`ll be bike camping...i also just received in the post my ultra lite packs for my mt bike ...
              but talking with hennessey they have told me these cell foam pads are very fragile

              what have others out here have done to  handled this situation with the foam cell fragileness?
              is it possible to roll the foam cell with the hammock into the snake skins?

              Thanks for the replies, all good sound advice. I think I shall take a
              bivvy bag to put the sleeping bag into so I have an extra layer around
              me and then I can also pack that full of stuff if I start to get cold.
              It also sounds like that either the thermarest or the foam are
              equally good so thanks to those that replied.

              Sam

              --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@ ...> wrote:

              > If you've never tested that bag in those conditions before you may
              want to bring some extra insulation. Wind chill and precipitation can
              severly affect that rating 2C with a 10kmh wind is gonna make that 0c
              bag feel like a paper thin napkin. If you add in some rain with a
              cross wind your a soggy frozen napkin. I'm Not trying to deter you but
              just for warn you to bring some extra insulation to be prepared. Since
              your car camping I'ls bring almost everything I have to help me stay
              warm so you not only have something to fall back on but you also can
              experiment with different items to find out what works best for you!
              Everyone does something just a little bit different mainly because
              everyone has a different opinion and everyone sleeps differently from
              each other. Some cold some warm! Above all have a Great Trip!!!

              > ____________ _________ _________ __

            • Thomas Vickers
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
                No, the foam pad is too bulky to roll into the snakeskins.
                They may seem fragile, but mine has taken a fair amount of abuse over 3-4
                years and is still going strong. I roll/fold it and put it in the bottom of
                my pack before I take the hammock down in the mornings.

                I have never had any issues with the durability of the pad

                TV
              • sjedwardson
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
                  what about the science side of the argument? I was always lead to
                  believe that a still pocket of air would insulate much better than
                  anything compressed. Considering that is all the thermarest style of
                  mats is would that make it a better choice or do the smaller pockets
                  of air/foam make for a better insulation layer?

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers" <redroach@...>
                  wrote:

                  > No, the foam pad is too bulky to roll into the snakeskins.
                  > They may seem fragile, but mine has taken a fair amount of abuse
                  over 3-4
                  > years and is still going strong. I roll/fold it and put it in the
                  bottom of
                  > my pack before I take the hammock down in the mornings.
                  >
                  > I have never had any issues with the durability of the pad
                  >
                  > TV

                • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                    I prefer closed-cell foam pads. Starting with a pad that's about 2 x 6
                    feet (60 x 180 cm), I cut the pad in half to create two pieces 2 x 3
                    feet (60 x 90 cm). I roll these and put them inside my backpack to form
                    the internal frame of the pack. I put them in the hammock either
                    side-by-side, or in a T shape. This is the best value for under-body
                    insulation I've found. Having two pieces makes it possible to create
                    insulation that's wide enough to cover my shoulders, but that can still
                    be packed comfortably.

                    I don't know about using them in an HH though, as that design makes it
                    somewhat more difficult to manage what's underneath you.

                    Bear

                  • Barb
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 13, 2008
                      We use the Big Agnes Insulated inflatable mattresses in the bottom of
                      our Clark Jungle Hammocks. They work very well to keep you warm and
                      insulated, they roll up small, don't weigh much, and are super
                      comfortable if you are forced to sleep on the ground too : )

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"