which is best, inflatable or foam sleeping mat

  • sjedwardson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
      I am going camping next weekend in the uk and have seen differing
      advice as to using either a thermarest style mat or the original foam
      style for placing under you for the night. Anyone else have any good
      experiences/advice?

      Thanks

      Sam
    • C C Wayah
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
        Sam,
        Are you car camping or backpacking and what are the expected night temps adn
        wind? Are you using a hammock or sleeping on the ground?
        Does your backpack require a tubular rolled foam mat inserted for
        stabilization?

        IF car camping and lying on the ground I'd take both matts, If you are
        getting into cold weather say under 50-45F degress in a hammock I'd take
        both matts for the added warmth and a mylar blanket just in case you get
        really cold.

        Have you tested your sleeping bag for it;s warmth for your own comfort range
        at the temps you expect to be camping..
        In other words your reqirements need to match the weather conditions you
        expect.

        Rogene.
        ..

        .

        >I am going camping next weekend in the uk and have seen differing
        > advice as to using either a thermarest style mat or the original foam
        > style for placing under you for the night. Anyone else have any good
        > experiences/advice?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Sam

      • sjedwardson
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
          Thanks for the reply, I shall be hammock camping and the temp will be
          around 2 - 8c. The sleeping bag has a comfort rating of 0c. Dont
          know quite what you mean by car camping but if that means driving to
          the camp site then yes, thats what i am doing.

          Look forward to hearing your responses

          Sam

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

          > Sam,
          > Are you car camping or backpacking and what are the expected night
          temps adn
          > wind? Are you using a hammock or sleeping on the ground?
          > Does your backpack require a tubular rolled foam mat inserted for
          > stabilization?
          >
          > IF car camping and lying on the ground I'd take both matts, If you are
          > getting into cold weather say under 50-45F degress in a hammock I'd
          take
          > both matts for the added warmth and a mylar blanket just in case you
          get
          > really cold.
          >
          > Have you tested your sleeping bag for it;s warmth for your own
          comfort range
          > at the temps you expect to be camping..
          > In other words your reqirements need to match the weather conditions
          you
          > expect.
          >
          > Rogene.
          > ..
          >

          > .

        • David Fox
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
            Car camping means driving to the spot you are camping at and carrying
            everything in the car instead of in a back pack.

            <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

            > Sam,
            > Are you car camping or backpacking and what are the expected night
            temps adn
            > wind? Are you using a hammock or sleeping on the ground?
            > Does your backpack require a tubular rolled foam mat inserted for
            > stabilization?
            >
            > IF car camping and lying on the ground I'd take both matts, If you are
            > getting into cold weather say under 50-45F degress in a hammock I'd
            take
            > both matts for the added warmth and a mylar blanket just in case you
            get
            > really cold.
            >
            > Have you tested your sleeping bag for it;s warmth for your own
            comfort range
            > at the temps you expect to be camping..
            > In other words your reqirements need to match the weather conditions
            you
            > expect.
            >
            > Rogene.
            > ..
            >

            > .

          • C C Wayah
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
              Sam,
              Car Camping!
              Yes driving to the camp site and camping there is what I meant.

              2C=35F to8C=45F
              Looks like you will be in fairely cold but not quite to freezing water.
              Car camping will allow you to take extra things for warmth if you need it
              and do some experiments' to what works best for you.

              What type of hammock do you have?
              Clark, Spears, Hennesy, others.
              Some hammocks have a second layer to the bottem that you can add insulation
              for more warmth such as leaves or what ever you have availalbe.

              Your sleeping bag temp rating sounds just right for this trip but remember a
              hammock can sleep cold from air circulating around you. A light weight mylar
              sheet can be rigged to hang under your hammock to keep wind out and warmth
              in, it will pool some moisture though. Connecting it to the hammock is
              something others could describe to you as I have not done this before..

              If I weren't camping to test a system for cold weather backpacking, I'd
              take everything but the kitchen sink to keep warm with just in case..
              But ya gotta understand as a wanna be backpacker
              I'm loaded with stuff to try, like a down expeed mattress, thermarest 3/4
              and full lenght thermarest, supershelter, mylar surround blanket, mylar
              sheet, closed cell foam pads x several, fleece sleeping bag liner, silk
              liner, silk underwear, fleece thermal pants and top, medium weight fleece
              jacket, three down sleeping bags that can be nested inside of each other,.
              heavy down jacket(not needed in TN), down booties, ski pants, wool socks,
              knee length light weight winter nylon coat, a heavy fake tiger fur coat,
              (that's been a life saver when I was 104F chillin inside with the flu one
              winter, again not usualy needed in TN)

              I know TMI.

              This winter I will sleep out in my hammock to find out what works best for
              me and keep it as light weight as I can. I'm leain' toward using the down
              exped mattress first
              with only one down sleeping bag and perhaps the super shelter.

              Rogene
            • pure mahem
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
                If you've never tested that bag in those conditions before you may want to bring some extra insulation. Wind chill and precipitation can severly affect that rating 2C with a 10kmh wind is gonna make that 0c bag feel like a paper thin napkin. If you add in some rain with a cross wind your a soggy frozen napkin. I'm Not trying to deter you but just for warn you to bring some extra insulation to be prepared. Since your car camping I'ls bring almost everything I have to help me stay warm so you not only have something to fall back on but you also can experiment with different items to find out what works best for you! Everyone does something just a little bit different mainly because everyone has a different opinion and everyone sleeps differently from each other. Some cold some warm! Above all have a Great Trip!!!

                ________________________________
                Thanks for the reply, I shall be hammock camping and the temp will be
                around 2 - 8c. The sleeping bag has a comfort rating of 0c. Dont
                know quite what you mean by car camping but if that means driving to
                the camp site then yes, thats what i am doing.

                Look forward to hearing your responses

                Sam

                --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@... > wrote:

                > Sam,
                > Are you car camping or backpacking and what are the expected night
                temps adn
                > wind? Are you using a hammock or sleeping on the ground?
                > Does your backpack require a tubular rolled foam mat inserted for
                > stabilization?
                >
                > IF car camping and lying on the ground I'd take both matts, If you are
                > getting into cold weather say under 50-45F degress in a hammock I'd
                take
                > both matts for the added warmth and a mylar blanket just in case you
                get
                > really cold.
                >
                > Have you tested your sleeping bag for it;s warmth for your own
                comfort range
                > at the temps you expect to be camping..
                > In other words your reqirements need to match the weather conditions
                you
                > expect.
                >
                > Rogene.
                > ..
                >

                > .

              • sjedwardson
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
                  Thanks for the replies, all good sound advice. I think I shall take a
                  bivvy bag to put the sleeping bag into so I have an extra layer around
                  me and then I can also pack that full of stuff if I start to get cold.
                  It also sounds like that either the thermarest or the foam are
                  equally good so thanks to those that replied.

                  Sam

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:

                  > If you've never tested that bag in those conditions before you may
                  want to bring some extra insulation. Wind chill and precipitation can
                  severly affect that rating 2C with a 10kmh wind is gonna make that 0c
                  bag feel like a paper thin napkin. If you add in some rain with a
                  cross wind your a soggy frozen napkin. I'm Not trying to deter you but
                  just for warn you to bring some extra insulation to be prepared. Since
                  your car camping I'ls bring almost everything I have to help me stay
                  warm so you not only have something to fall back on but you also can
                  experiment with different items to find out what works best for you!
                  Everyone does something just a little bit different mainly because
                  everyone has a different opinion and everyone sleeps differently from
                  each other. Some cold some warm! Above all have a Great Trip!!!

                  > ________________________________

                • j.a. tackett
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
                    i am in the same situation also......i just received in the post my hennessey super shelter....
                    and here in wisconsin the weather has started to go down hill big time....
                    so i picked up a marmot 2lb sleeping bag rated for 40 degree f.  and a bivy sack emergency shelter bag to put under me...on top of the cell foam....
                    i`ll be bike camping...i also just received in the post my ultra lite packs for my mt bike ...
                    but talking with hennessey they have told me these cell foam pads are very fragile

                    what have others out here have done to  handled this situation with the foam cell fragileness?
                    is it possible to roll the foam cell with the hammock into the snake skins?

                    Thanks for the replies, all good sound advice. I think I shall take a
                    bivvy bag to put the sleeping bag into so I have an extra layer around
                    me and then I can also pack that full of stuff if I start to get cold.
                    It also sounds like that either the thermarest or the foam are
                    equally good so thanks to those that replied.

                    Sam

                    --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@ ...> wrote:

                    > If you've never tested that bag in those conditions before you may
                    want to bring some extra insulation. Wind chill and precipitation can
                    severly affect that rating 2C with a 10kmh wind is gonna make that 0c
                    bag feel like a paper thin napkin. If you add in some rain with a
                    cross wind your a soggy frozen napkin. I'm Not trying to deter you but
                    just for warn you to bring some extra insulation to be prepared. Since
                    your car camping I'ls bring almost everything I have to help me stay
                    warm so you not only have something to fall back on but you also can
                    experiment with different items to find out what works best for you!
                    Everyone does something just a little bit different mainly because
                    everyone has a different opinion and everyone sleeps differently from
                    each other. Some cold some warm! Above all have a Great Trip!!!

                    > ____________ _________ _________ __

                  • Thomas Vickers
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
                      No, the foam pad is too bulky to roll into the snakeskins.
                      They may seem fragile, but mine has taken a fair amount of abuse over 3-4
                      years and is still going strong. I roll/fold it and put it in the bottom of
                      my pack before I take the hammock down in the mornings.

                      I have never had any issues with the durability of the pad

                      TV
                    • sjedwardson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
                        what about the science side of the argument? I was always lead to
                        believe that a still pocket of air would insulate much better than
                        anything compressed. Considering that is all the thermarest style of
                        mats is would that make it a better choice or do the smaller pockets
                        of air/foam make for a better insulation layer?

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers" <redroach@...>
                        wrote:

                        > No, the foam pad is too bulky to roll into the snakeskins.
                        > They may seem fragile, but mine has taken a fair amount of abuse
                        over 3-4
                        > years and is still going strong. I roll/fold it and put it in the
                        bottom of
                        > my pack before I take the hammock down in the mornings.
                        >
                        > I have never had any issues with the durability of the pad
                        >
                        > TV

                      • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                          I prefer closed-cell foam pads. Starting with a pad that's about 2 x 6
                          feet (60 x 180 cm), I cut the pad in half to create two pieces 2 x 3
                          feet (60 x 90 cm). I roll these and put them inside my backpack to form
                          the internal frame of the pack. I put them in the hammock either
                          side-by-side, or in a T shape. This is the best value for under-body
                          insulation I've found. Having two pieces makes it possible to create
                          insulation that's wide enough to cover my shoulders, but that can still
                          be packed comfortably.

                          I don't know about using them in an HH though, as that design makes it
                          somewhat more difficult to manage what's underneath you.

                          Bear

                        • Barb
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 13, 2008
                            We use the Big Agnes Insulated inflatable mattresses in the bottom of
                            our Clark Jungle Hammocks. They work very well to keep you warm and
                            insulated, they roll up small, don't weigh much, and are super
                            comfortable if you are forced to sleep on the ground too : )

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"