RE: [Hammock Camping] Grouply is back

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
      Tim, I think you want to avoid Grouply as much as possible-probably can
      cause computer problems or spam.Ed

      From: Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@... <mailto:bfornshell%40yahoo.com> >
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Grouply is back
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 12:25 PM

      Hi Ed,

      I just received this email from a member here. (See below)

      I did a message search and found 3 messages with the word "Grouply"
      in it.

      Grouply is a very bad thing.

      I guess you did nothing at the time and now the whole member list has been
      compromised. Who knows what else.

      This member should be banned and then hope all of are computers have not
      been
      affected
      by this idiot.

      Bill

      ========

      From:
      "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@... <mailto:ghostcarousel%40yahoo.com>

      To:
      bfornshell@... <mailto:bfornshell%40yahoo.com>

      We share the hammockcamping group. I want to add you as a friend in Grouply
      so
      you
      can see my profile with my pictures, my groups, and my favorite group
      messages.

      Here is the link: (link omitted)

      WJ Merritt

    • Tom Frazier
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
        Dude,

        It's an application for yahoo groups; there are a lot of claims made about Grouply, like being able to see groups you aren't a member of (which I tested by creating a dummy acct. and tried to access groups I wasn't a member of; didn't work; I was only able to access groups I was a member of).

        Nothing is compromised by using Grouply. The moderator can go on to Grouply (without even having an acct.), verify they are the owner of the group, and then select an option to make their group unavailable to Grouply so no one can access messages through Grouply and you can also ban invites (such as what we received here).

        Personaly, I don't use Grouply as I see no point, really; but, a lot of the nonsense about Grouply causing security issues is just...a lot of nonsense!

        I don't think you should ban this member, Ed, but perhaps advise them that it's not appropriate for this group.

        I, too, do hope, Bill, that not too many idiots have been infected....hmm...

        From:
        "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@...>

        To:
        bfornshell@...

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
          Thanks for the info Tom. I still don't understand what Grouply is or how it
          works, so I did remove & ban that member-you're right it's not appropriate
          for this group..Ed

          From:
          "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@... <mailto:ghostcarousel%40yahoo.com>

          To: