Re: [Hammock Camping] Grouply is back

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2008
      I received a request to join Grouply from a member of this group.
        What's that all about???   ...Tim

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
        Tim, I think you want to avoid Grouply as much as possible-probably can
        cause computer problems or spam.Ed

        From: Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@... <mailto:bfornshell%40yahoo.com> >
        To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

        Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 12:25 PM

        Hi Ed,

        ========

        From:
        "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@... <mailto:ghostcarousel%40yahoo.com>

        To:
        bfornshell@... <mailto:bfornshell%40yahoo.com>

        We share the hammockcamping group. I want to add you as a friend in Grouply
        so
        you
        can see my profile with my pictures, my groups, and my favorite group
        messages.

        Here is the link: (link omitted)

        WJ Merritt

      • Tom Frazier
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
          Dude,

          It's an application for yahoo groups; there are a lot of claims made about Grouply, like being able to see groups you aren't a member of (which I tested by creating a dummy acct. and tried to access groups I wasn't a member of; didn't work; I was only able to access groups I was a member of).

          Nothing is compromised by using Grouply. The moderator can go on to Grouply (without even having an acct.), verify they are the owner of the group, and then select an option to make their group unavailable to Grouply so no one can access messages through Grouply and you can also ban invites (such as what we received here).

          Personaly, I don't use Grouply as I see no point, really; but, a lot of the nonsense about Grouply causing security issues is just...a lot of nonsense!

          I don't think you should ban this member, Ed, but perhaps advise them that it's not appropriate for this group.

          I, too, do hope, Bill, that not too many idiots have been infected....hmm...

          From:
          "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@...>

          To:

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
            Thanks for the info Tom. I still don't understand what Grouply is or how it
            works, so I did remove & ban that member-you're right it's not appropriate
            for this group..Ed

            From:
            "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@... <mailto:ghostcarousel%40yahoo.com>

            To: