RE: [Hammock Camping] Grouply is back

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2008
      Hi Bill, thanks for the warning. I'll remove them..Ed

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2008
        I received a request to join Grouply from a member of this group.
          What's that all about???   ...Tim

        ========

        From:
        "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@...>

        To:
        bfornshell@...

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
          Tim, I think you want to avoid Grouply as much as possible-probably can
          cause computer problems or spam.Ed

          From: Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@... <mailto:bfornshell%40yahoo.com> >
          To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

          Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 12:25 PM

          Hi Ed,

          From:
          "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@... <mailto:ghostcarousel%40yahoo.com>

          To:
          bfornshell@... <mailto:bfornshell%40yahoo.com>

          We share the hammockcamping group. I want to add you as a friend in Grouply
          so
          you
          can see my profile with my pictures, my groups, and my favorite group
          messages.

          Here is the link: (link omitted)

          WJ Merritt

        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
            Dude,

            It's an application for yahoo groups; there are a lot of claims made about Grouply, like being able to see groups you aren't a member of (which I tested by creating a dummy acct. and tried to access groups I wasn't a member of; didn't work; I was only able to access groups I was a member of).

            Nothing is compromised by using Grouply. The moderator can go on to Grouply (without even having an acct.), verify they are the owner of the group, and then select an option to make their group unavailable to Grouply so no one can access messages through Grouply and you can also ban invites (such as what we received here).

            Personaly, I don't use Grouply as I see no point, really; but, a lot of the nonsense about Grouply causing security issues is just...a lot of nonsense!

            I don't think you should ban this member, Ed, but perhaps advise them that it's not appropriate for this group.

            I, too, do hope, Bill, that not too many idiots have been infected....hmm...

            From:
            "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@...>

            To:
            bfornshell@...

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
              Thanks for the info Tom. I still don't understand what Grouply is or how it
              works, so I did remove & ban that member-you're right it's not appropriate
              for this group..Ed

              From:
              "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@... <mailto:ghostcarousel%40yahoo.com>

              To: