Grouply is back

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2008
      Hi Ed,

      I just received this email from a member here. (See below)

      I did a message search and found 3 messages with the word "Grouply" in it.

      Grouply is a very bad thing.

      I guess you did nothing at the time and now the whole member list has been
      compromised. Who knows what else.

      This member should be banned and then hope all of are computers have not been affected
      by this idiot.

      Bill

      ========

      From:
      "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@...>

      To:
      bfornshell@...

      We share the hammockcamping group. I want to add you as a friend in Grouply so you
      can see my profile with my pictures, my groups, and my favorite group messages.

      Here is the link: (link omitted)

      WJ Merritt
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2008
        Hi Bill, thanks for the warning. I'll remove them..Ed

        From:
        "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@... <mailto:ghostcarousel%40yahoo.com>

        To:
        bfornshell@... <mailto:bfornshell%40yahoo.com>

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2008
          I received a request to join Grouply from a member of this group.
            What's that all about???   ...Tim

          From:
          "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@...>

          To:

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
            Tim, I think you want to avoid Grouply as much as possible-probably can
            cause computer problems or spam.Ed

            From: Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@... <mailto:bfornshell%40yahoo.com> >
            To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

            Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 12:25 PM

            Hi Ed,

            From:
            "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@... <mailto:ghostcarousel%40yahoo.com>

            To:
            bfornshell@... <mailto:bfornshell%40yahoo.com>

            We share the hammockcamping group. I want to add you as a friend in Grouply
            so
            you
            can see my profile with my pictures, my groups, and my favorite group
            messages.

            Here is the link: (link omitted)

            WJ Merritt

          • Tom Frazier
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
              Dude,

              It's an application for yahoo groups; there are a lot of claims made about Grouply, like being able to see groups you aren't a member of (which I tested by creating a dummy acct. and tried to access groups I wasn't a member of; didn't work; I was only able to access groups I was a member of).

              Nothing is compromised by using Grouply. The moderator can go on to Grouply (without even having an acct.), verify they are the owner of the group, and then select an option to make their group unavailable to Grouply so no one can access messages through Grouply and you can also ban invites (such as what we received here).

              Personaly, I don't use Grouply as I see no point, really; but, a lot of the nonsense about Grouply causing security issues is just...a lot of nonsense!

              I don't think you should ban this member, Ed, but perhaps advise them that it's not appropriate for this group.

              I, too, do hope, Bill, that not too many idiots have been infected....hmm...

              From:
              "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@...>

              To:

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
                Thanks for the info Tom. I still don't understand what Grouply is or how it
                works, so I did remove & ban that member-you're right it's not appropriate
                for this group..Ed

                From:
                "ghostcarousel" <ghostcarousel@... <mailto:ghostcarousel%40yahoo.com>

                To: