Exped Down Mat 7 or Stephenson's DAM thanks!

  • Joe Federici
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 28, 2008
      Thanks to everyone who sent me info on the Exped and Stephenson's DAM
      pads. To sum up what most people emailed and posted sorry for the
      cross post I emailed two lists.

      Everyone who has both seems to be happy and that's a good thing! The
      Exped Down Mat 7 seems to be used by most of the people I heard from.
      They are cheaper in cost, as many got them on sale. The fabric and
      construction most feel is better and inflates easier.

      The Stephenson's DAM is lighter by a good bit depending on your size.
      has a "home made look" Come in 3 sizers but can be custom made. The
      finish is slipperier. They uses better fill 850 to the 700 the Exped
      has. They are about the same price but the Stephenson's do not have
      sales.

      No one has commented on having trouble getting in a jam with holes
      although a long time user of the Stephenson's commented he had to get
      a new inflation bag after having trouble inflating it but it didn't
      leave him without use.

      For what it's worth or the archives in the future I'm going with the
      Stephenson's. I like that they can do custom sizing, it's a small
      operation from there house. They use better fill and said they would
      stand behind it and don't plan to move from there house in NH.<g> I
      don't mind the home made look or that it might take a little more
      care to use. I tend to make most of my own gear and much of it is the
      same deal. your hard on it, it breaks.

      thanks again.

      JFF
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 28, 2008
          I didn't mention it in my earlier post, but I actually have run into problems twice w/ the exped... once the valve failed & I used the glue in the repair kit to make it useable through the night. Exped replaced it immediately when I contacted them through my local outfitter.
          The other problem I had was the welds that from the channels began to let go, making two channels one. Once again Exped replaced it imediatly.
           Let us know how your experience goes w/ the stephens DAM.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008