Re: Hammock Camping Field use questions

  • Jay Willis
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 1, 2003
      Same thing happened to me. Woke up during the night - feet were cold (they were
      sticking UP through the entrance slit) and I was looking DOWN at netting. Didn't
      think much of it until early morning when I needed to take a nature break.
      Couldn't get out. Panic. Calm down - think, how do I get out of this predicament?
      I grabbed the sides of the opening to try to pull myself up. Just couldn't pull
      hard enough. I thought about waiting a few hours until someone else in our camp
      would be getting up. But I had to go NOW. Finally struggled and got out, but in
      doing so I put an 8-inch rip in the netting. Never happened to me before. I must
      have rolled over during the night and pulled out one of the tie-outs.

      colonelcorn76 wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, amy <askowronek@m...> wrote:
      > > I'm not Shane, but I've spent a fair amount of time reaching out
      > of my
      > > hammock. As far as the hammock movement goes, with the HH
      > > it doesn't really matter. You can't roll it over, so the motion
      > might
      > > be unsettling but isn't dangerous.
      >
      > Au contraire mon ami! I have awoken on more than one occassion (3 I
      > think) where I was looking up at the solid fabric and when I turned
      > my head, I was looking down through the no-see-um netting. The good
      > news is that nothing tore or broke or anything. I pushed my feet up
      > (!) through the slit and pulled them over & down to stand up. Simple
      > matter to spin it around the ridgeline and re-tie the hammock guy
      > lines. (Must have thrashed something serious in my sleep or tied
      > really bad knots.)
      >
      > The first time I was sure I must have wrecked the thing. The other
      > two times I just got out and back in again. No sweat.
      >
      > I'm about 180 and spend have a HH Ultralight A-Sym.
      >
      > Jim

    • J Cornelius
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 2, 2003

        <snort> Not nearly as hard as I will the first time I get to do it!  Of course, that will be after the initial shock of finding myself asleep on the roof of my hammock wears off ROTFL!

        Jodi