Re: [Hammock Camping] Exped Down Mat 7 or Stephenson's DAM

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 28, 2008
        I have both. I've only used the Stephens DAM a few times, both at home & on the trail.
      I keep going back to the Exped DAM7, mainly because the Stephens DAM, being thicker, & maybe something about the way it's made, seams to feel less stable.
         It takes more effort & thought IMO to stay on it.
       I use both DAMs softly inflated. They contour to the shape of the body & feel much better that way to me. ...Tim

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 28, 2008
        Thanks to everyone who sent me info on the Exped and Stephenson's DAM
        pads. To sum up what most people emailed and posted sorry for the
        cross post I emailed two lists.

        Everyone who has both seems to be happy and that's a good thing! The
        Exped Down Mat 7 seems to be used by most of the people I heard from.
        They are cheaper in cost, as many got them on sale. The fabric and
        construction most feel is better and inflates easier.

        The Stephenson's DAM is lighter by a good bit depending on your size.
        has a "home made look" Come in 3 sizers but can be custom made. The
        finish is slipperier. They uses better fill 850 to the 700 the Exped
        has. They are about the same price but the Stephenson's do not have
        sales.

        No one has commented on having trouble getting in a jam with holes
        although a long time user of the Stephenson's commented he had to get
        a new inflation bag after having trouble inflating it but it didn't
        leave him without use.

        For what it's worth or the archives in the future I'm going with the
        Stephenson's. I like that they can do custom sizing, it's a small
        operation from there house. They use better fill and said they would
        stand behind it and don't plan to move from there house in NH.<g> I
        don't mind the home made look or that it might take a little more
        care to use. I tend to make most of my own gear and much of it is the
        same deal. your hard on it, it breaks.

        thanks again.

        JFF
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 28, 2008
            I didn't mention it in my earlier post, but I actually have run into problems twice w/ the exped... once the valve failed & I used the glue in the repair kit to make it useable through the night. Exped replaced it immediately when I contacted them through my local outfitter.
            The other problem I had was the welds that from the channels began to let go, making two channels one. Once again Exped replaced it imediatly.
             Let us know how your experience goes w/ the stephens DAM.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008