Exped Down Mat 7 or Stephenson's DAM

  • Joe Federici
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 2008
      I'm looking to but either the Exped Down Mat 7 or a Stephenson's Down
      air
      mats. If anyone has used them or another brad I'd be interested in
      hearing what you thought.

      I've read a lot of review on the Exped 7 and everyone seems to like
      it but the Stephenson's look to be a better shape and also weigh a
      bit less. That said there website doesn't look to be very up to date
      and when I called them directly they didn't have much info. I'm
      hopping some else may have go through this and can provide some
      feedback.

      thanks in advance.

      JFF
    • Jeff Palmer
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 27, 2008
        I use a Stephenson DAM on the ground as well as with my hammock. I
        won't camp without it. On the ground, it is far superior to any other
        pad I've tried. The DAM also works well with my Speer type hammock.
        To use it with the hammock, I can't have much sag and can't sleep at
        an angle. The pad will slide so the hammock has to be flat. I've
        slept in the hammock with the DAM down to 10 degrees F. I do put
        clothing along the side of the pad where I might touch the hammock
        for more insulation. The pad is 28 inches wide, wider than other pads
        I've tried.

        Jeff

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 28, 2008
            I have both. I've only used the Stephens DAM a few times, both at home & on the trail.
          I keep going back to the Exped DAM7, mainly because the Stephens DAM, being thicker, & maybe something about the way it's made, seams to feel less stable.
             It takes more effort & thought IMO to stay on it.
           I use both DAMs softly inflated. They contour to the shape of the body & feel much better that way to me. ...Tim

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 28, 2008
            Thanks to everyone who sent me info on the Exped and Stephenson's DAM
            pads. To sum up what most people emailed and posted sorry for the
            cross post I emailed two lists.

            Everyone who has both seems to be happy and that's a good thing! The
            Exped Down Mat 7 seems to be used by most of the people I heard from.
            They are cheaper in cost, as many got them on sale. The fabric and
            construction most feel is better and inflates easier.

            The Stephenson's DAM is lighter by a good bit depending on your size.
            has a "home made look" Come in 3 sizers but can be custom made. The
            finish is slipperier. They uses better fill 850 to the 700 the Exped
            has. They are about the same price but the Stephenson's do not have
            sales.

            No one has commented on having trouble getting in a jam with holes
            although a long time user of the Stephenson's commented he had to get
            a new inflation bag after having trouble inflating it but it didn't
            leave him without use.

            For what it's worth or the archives in the future I'm going with the
            Stephenson's. I like that they can do custom sizing, it's a small
            operation from there house. They use better fill and said they would
            stand behind it and don't plan to move from there house in NH.<g> I
            don't mind the home made look or that it might take a little more
            care to use. I tend to make most of my own gear and much of it is the
            same deal. your hard on it, it breaks.

            thanks again.

            JFF
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 28, 2008
                I didn't mention it in my earlier post, but I actually have run into problems twice w/ the exped... once the valve failed & I used the glue in the repair kit to make it useable through the night. Exped replaced it immediately when I contacted them through my local outfitter.
                The other problem I had was the welds that from the channels began to let go, making two channels one. Once again Exped replaced it imediatly.
                 Let us know how your experience goes w/ the stephens DAM.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008