RE: [Hammock Camping] Newbie Camper Questions Regarding the Appalachian Trail

  • David Fox
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 14, 2008
      Paul,

      Welcome to the hammock camping group. You will find extensive help and
      advice on all kinds of questions at the whiteblaze .com group and
      trailplace.com groups. Let me know if you cannot get onto the trailplace
      group as they are trying hard to filter out spammers right now and it might
      get difficult to register. Both websites sell their own trail guide to the
      AT. FYI, I have found the WB site to be more confrontational and threads
      tent to drift somewhat. The TP site seems a little gentler and friendlier
      (unless you are a spammer).

      1. If you aren't sure, I might look and see if you can spot
      waterproofing painted on around the strip and if one side looks slicker (IE
      waterproof coating) I would put that side up so ground dirt doesn't abrade
      it off.

      2. You can also get maps and a guide book from the AT conservancy at
      this website:
      http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.1423119/k.BEA0/Home.htm

      Depending on the road crossing, it will either be a dirt path coming out of
      the woods with about a 3 by 5 inch white blaze painted on each side of the
      road to alert the hiker to the path or there will be a parking lot type area
      with a possible sign notice board near the trail head. The guide books and
      trail maps will tell you how far from the road it is to the shelter
      depending which direction you are going in.

      3. The guide books will generally spell out the water sources for you.
      Almost every shelter will have a water source nearby. You can get specific
      information on the two websites I first mentioned for any given shelter,
      including availability of water during a given time of the year.

      4. You will get lots of opinions about the North Face Anguila 33 tent
      at those websites. Since we are a hammock camping group, we may not have
      experienced the tent you are interested in. Hammocks, by the way, are
      another excellent way to hike on the AT.

      Good luck and welcome again.