Aaron's continuing Hennessey adventures

  • colonelcorn76
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1 8:33 AM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron" <aaron@b...> wrote:
      > I've come to the conclusion that the fly that comes with the
      > HH UL A-sym is way too small for my needs. It rained today and I
      set
      > up the fly by itself and sat under it for a while. In a
      substantial
      > rain with wind there isn't enough "moving around room" for me
      under
      > there. My intention at this point is to call Hennessy and discuss
      my
      > concern with them. If they are willing to take the fly back in
      > exchange for contribution to a larger one (not diamond shaped), I
      > will consider keeping it, but it depends on how much it weighs. I
      > don't think it should even be a pound, but I think that the 8x10
      > foot pitched as an "A" frame over the hammock sounds better for
      me,
      > rather than having it as a diamond shape overlapping from the
      > corners.
      > -Aaron

      I thought that the first few times I set it up myself (I also use a
      UL A-Sym). But I learned how to do it correctly and haven't had a
      problem since (and we've had a lot of rain so far this year). But
      the Explorer or Exped flys will increase the tolerance for sloppy
      setup so it's a good solution for only a few more ounces.

      BTW, I hang mine high (vs. the low to the ground folks) so I can
      walk under the fly. I also have a small (6x9"?) plastic cutting
      board I carry which I hang from the tree under the tarp & use as a
      small table/cutting surface/stove shelf. It saves me from having to
      sit on the ground to cook. I drilled holes through each corner and
      ran a 3' length of parachute cord through one set of holes (along
      the 6" side). I ran a 6' length through the holes on the other 6"
      side. When I hang it I put the side with the short cord against the
      tree and tie it using the cord. Then I take the long cord and bring
      both ends up at an angle to the tree and tie it off. Wa la! A stable
      table 30" high & only about 4 oz I think.

      Jim
    • rexhardy2003
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
        For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
        use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
        possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
        think?

        Rex
      • Joe O'Leary
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
          Personally I like a slightly larger tarp, along the lines 10x12. The more
          dry space, the better (i.e. the more versatility) for me.

          I have the deluxe MacCat tarp from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers so it's not
          just a plain square but I'm guessing that it's about the equivalent coverage
          of 10x12

          Definitely don't go smaller than 8 x 10.

          -Joe

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
            I'd go a little larger, but that's just me. A little larger = more
            coverage when the weather gets really freaky, more room to hang out
            underneath if in extended rain. I really really don't like being wet.

            Bill in Houston

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...>
            wrote:

            > For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
            > use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
            > possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
            > think?
            >
            > Rex

          • Coy
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
              Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
              stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
              so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
              so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
              rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
              it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
              would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.

              Coy Boy

              <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

              > I'd go a little larger, but that's just me. A little larger = more
              > coverage when the weather gets really freaky, more room to hang out
              > underneath if in extended rain. I really really don't like being wet.
              >
              > Bill in Houston
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
              > > use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
              > > possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
              > > think?
              > >
              > > Rex

            • Richard Perlman
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                Joe O'Leary wrote:

                > I have the deluxe MacCat tarp from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers so it's not
                > just a plain square but I'm guessing that it's about the equivalent
                > coverage
                > of 10x12

                Joe,
                With which hammock do you use the deluxe MacCat? I have a HH Explorer
                Ultralight and was considering upgrading the stock fly to the deluxe MacCat.

                Does anyone have any experience with this set-up?

                Rich
              • Joe O'Leary
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                  Rich,

                  I have the HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym. The HH Explorer Ultralight will
                  be fine with it as well. While the Explorer is tougher it is only a tiny
                  bit larger (8 inches longer, I think).

                  I don't attach the MacCat to the Hammock at all. I tie it separately first
                  and then put the hammock under it. I use HH Snakeskins #4 to enclose the
                  hammock and JRB Nest Down Under quilt. I pack the MacCat in its own stuff
                  sack.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                    His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
                    smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
                    per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

                    Bill in Houston

                    > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                    > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                    > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                    > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                    > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                    > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                    > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
                    >
                    > Coy Boy
                  • Roby Dorsett
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                      Where can you see/purchase Youngblood's tarp? What is the website?
                      Thanks,
                      Rob

                      _____

                      His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
                      smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
                      per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

                      Bill in Houston

                      > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                      > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                      > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                      > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                      > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                      > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                      > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
                      >
                      > Coy Boy

                    • Coy
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                        Hi Roby, you can see Daves tarp in his folder in the photos section.
                        Its labled Youngblood. I just put a larger pic in my Files Folder.
                        can't put the big pics in the photo folder. I just put it in and
                        there will be an upload notification. On the purchase question. As
                        far as I know Dave is not making tarps to sell. I saw his and asked
                        if he could make me one like it only slightly larger. Mine is 11
                        feet long and 8 feet 4 inches wide. So it's about a foot longer than
                        his but only 4 or so inches wider.

                        Coy Boy

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Roby Dorsett"