Welcome to the hammock camping group. You will find extensive help and
advice on all kinds of questions at the whiteblaze .com group and
trailplace.com groups. Let me know if you cannot get onto the trailplace
group as they are trying hard to filter out spammers right now and it might
get difficult to register. Both websites sell their own trail guide to the
AT. FYI, I have found the WB site to be more confrontational and threads
tent to drift somewhat. The TP site seems a little gentler and friendlier
(unless you are a spammer).
1. If you aren't sure, I might look and see if you can spot
waterproofing painted on around the strip and if one side looks slicker (IE
waterproof coating) I would put that side up so ground dirt doesn't abrade
2. You can also get maps and a guide book from the AT conservancy at
Depending on the road crossing, it will either be a dirt path coming out of
the woods with about a 3 by 5 inch white blaze painted on each side of the
road to alert the hiker to the path or there will be a parking lot type area
with a possible sign notice board near the trail head. The guide books and
trail maps will tell you how far from the road it is to the shelter
depending which direction you are going in.
3. The guide books will generally spell out the water sources for you.
Almost every shelter will have a water source nearby. You can get specific
information on the two websites I first mentioned for any given shelter,
including availability of water during a given time of the year.
4. You will get lots of opinions about the North Face Anguila 33 tent
at those websites. Since we are a hammock camping group, we may not have
experienced the tent you are interested in. Hammocks, by the way, are
another excellent way to hike on the AT.
Good luck and welcome again.
On Behalf Of Paul
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 11:48 AM
Subject: [Hammock Camping] Newbie Camper Questions Regarding the Appalachian
A Couple of Newbie Camper Questions Regarding the Appalachian Trail:
1) How can you tell which side of a tent footprint is up? Does the
seam tape go up or down?
2) Where are there trailhead locators for shelters along the
Appalachian Trail around Roanoke, VA?
3) Where are there alternative water source locators for shelters
along the Appalachian Trail around Roanoke, VA?
4) Anyone have any experience with the North Face Anguila 33 tent?
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]