Newbie Camper Questions Regarding the Appalachian Trail

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13, 2008
      A Couple of Newbie Camper Questions Regarding the Appalachian Trail:

      1) How can you tell which side of a tent footprint is up? Does the
      seam tape go up or down?

      2) Where are there trailhead locators for shelters along the
      Appalachian Trail around Roanoke, VA?

      3) Where are there alternative water source locators for shelters
      along the Appalachian Trail around Roanoke, VA?

      4) Anyone have any experience with the North Face Anguila 33 tent?

      Thanks! WalksInDark
    • Richard Perlman
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 2008
        You might be better off with an AT bulletin board like whiteblaze.com

        Rich

        Paul wrote:
        > A Couple of Newbie Camper Questions Regarding the Appalachian Trail:
        >
        > 1) How can you tell which side of a tent footprint is up? Does the
        > seam tape go up or down?
        >
        > 2) Where are there trailhead locators for shelters along the
        > Appalachian Trail around Roanoke, VA?
        >
        > 3) Where are there alternative water source locators for shelters
        > along the Appalachian Trail around Roanoke, VA?
        >
        > 4) Anyone have any experience with the North Face Anguila 33 tent?
        >
        > Thanks! WalksInDark

      • David Fox
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 14, 2008
          Paul,

          Welcome to the hammock camping group. You will find extensive help and
          advice on all kinds of questions at the whiteblaze .com group and
          trailplace.com groups. Let me know if you cannot get onto the trailplace
          group as they are trying hard to filter out spammers right now and it might
          get difficult to register. Both websites sell their own trail guide to the
          AT. FYI, I have found the WB site to be more confrontational and threads
          tent to drift somewhat. The TP site seems a little gentler and friendlier
          (unless you are a spammer).

          1. If you aren't sure, I might look and see if you can spot
          waterproofing painted on around the strip and if one side looks slicker (IE
          waterproof coating) I would put that side up so ground dirt doesn't abrade
          it off.

          2. You can also get maps and a guide book from the AT conservancy at
          this website:
          http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.1423119/k.BEA0/Home.htm

          Depending on the road crossing, it will either be a dirt path coming out of
          the woods with about a 3 by 5 inch white blaze painted on each side of the
          road to alert the hiker to the path or there will be a parking lot type area
          with a possible sign notice board near the trail head. The guide books and
          trail maps will tell you how far from the road it is to the shelter
          depending which direction you are going in.

          3. The guide books will generally spell out the water sources for you.
          Almost every shelter will have a water source nearby. You can get specific
          information on the two websites I first mentioned for any given shelter,
          including availability of water during a given time of the year.

          4. You will get lots of opinions about the North Face Anguila 33 tent
          at those websites. Since we are a hammock camping group, we may not have
          experienced the tent you are interested in. Hammocks, by the way, are
          another excellent way to hike on the AT.

          Good luck and welcome again.