RE: Hammock Camping up date, seize continues

  • robi dawson
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 1 8:33 AM
      Hey Ed,

      Fuggoagy......what a wonderful word!  Maybe we shoud exchange words!!!  .....Ed

      ok, sounds cool!

      i seem to remember reading sg about shoulders and what to do if there seems to be too little should space... any ideas? i would look it up but i have to make an alcohol stove with Aron, he wants to be able to make tea on the camp out!

      kids are cool, just got to let them use their imaginations... i guarantee that Aron will take the stove-to-be-made and try to improve upon it... not bad for a ten year old....

      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 1 8:37 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
        wrote:
        > We posted a lot of experience last winter about using a hammock in
        > cold weather. Diane and I are going to take an overnight on
        > Thursday. Nightime low is expected to be "in the mid 60s.
        Daytime
        > temps are to be in the upper 80s.
        >
        > What experience do we have with going padless in the hammock? How
        > warm does it have to be before the hammock works better as a keep
        me
        > cool enough to sleep without a pad system?

        I stopped using a pad when the temps got to 50 at night. I sleep in
        a bag which gives me something underneath (sometimes unzipped
        though) until the temps are mid-60s at which point I use the bag as
        a quilt with nothing under me & the hammock.

        Jim
      • Risk
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 1 9:39 AM
          Jim wrote:

          > I stopped using a pad when the temps got to 50 at night. I sleep in
          > a bag which gives me something underneath (sometimes unzipped
          > though) until the temps are mid-60s at which point I use the bag as
          > a quilt with nothing under me & the hammock.

          Thanks Jim! This is just the info I was wanting. Personally, with a
          nightime temp of 50 I had a problem with cold back at 3AM a few
          months back, using just a sleeping bag. Perhaps you sleep warmer
          than I do.

          Other's experiences? I don't remember Ed covering this in the
          otherwise complete book. However, it is likely that his book is more
          complete than my memory. I was reading it in the winter with a
          particular set of filters in my brain.

          Rick
        • David Chinell
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 1 12:02 PM
            Rick:

            I'm still proofing my temperature chart, but I use a 3/8
            inch closed-cell pad between 55 and 65, and drop the pad
            when it's over 65. I think I'm a cold sleeper.

            I also think a windblock device, like a poncho or GI might
            do the trick once it's over 60. I just haven't been able to
            test that.

            Bear
          • Risk
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 1 12:11 PM
              Thanks Bear,

              Yeah, I do just fine with the Target 3/8 pad down to about 30 with
              just a quilt. Add some fleece under me (micro fleece long pants and
              a pullover) and I'm good down to below 20. Below that and I need a
              second pad.

              Your info about when you drop the pad entirely is very useful.

              <dchinell@m...> wrote:
              > Rick:
              >
              > I'm still proofing my temperature chart, but I use a 3/8
              > inch closed-cell pad between 55 and 65, and drop the pad
              > when it's over 65. I think I'm a cold sleeper.
              >
              > I also think a windblock device, like a poncho or GI might
              > do the trick once it's over 60. I just haven't been able to
              > test that.
              >
              > Bear
            • J Cornelius
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 1 3:59 PM

                Ok y’all – I am totally happy sleeping in a hammock.  Beats a bed by a mile!!  I now have my Byer Traveller hammock hanging in my room – but – after only a couple of weeks in it, the strands are starting to break (had one break last night – hard time going back to sleep after that wondering if the blooming thing was gonna crash on me in the middle of the night!!).  I will be sleeping in this thing every night.  BUT – here is the problem – I have to be able to hang it within a 9 ½ foot area.  Any suggestions?  Remember, this thing will be used EVERY night.

                T’anks y’all!

                Jodi

              • J Cornelius
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 1 4:01 PM
                  Message

                  I love hammocks!!  They ROCK <grin>

                  How do you pronounce fuggoargy??  Foo-go – agy??

                  Don’t wanna end up swearing!! LOL

                  Jodi

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 1 4:10 PM

                    I found that I need the pad up to 60 degrees – I used to sleep really hot, but now, since I lost 90 lbs, I find I sleep cooler.  So much for the insulation layer LOL.  I’ll keep the pad tho and leave the 90 lbs out!!  But once I get to 60, I sleep just in the sleeping bag (a 35 degree bag) and usually leave it unzipped unless it rains in the night and the damp makes my joints ache.

                    My two cents

                    Jodi

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 1 5:20 PM
                      Message
                      Jodi, I feel your pain!  Having a hammock fail under you is certainly not conducive for sleep!

                      Your hanging space is limited and thus not suitable for many stands that  angle outward as much as 15'.  Instead of a stand, can you mount directly to the walls?  I've hung my hammock in the bedroom using 3/4" thick eyebolts screwed into 4' long 2X4's that are mounted horizontially so they could be screwed into several of the vertical studs inside the walls--dosen't look pretty, but it works.  My walls are sheetrock over thin boards.  Attaching the horizontal 2X4's to the wall studs is the key--I used lots of 4" long screws.  This has held for several years now and I too sleep in the hammock nearly every night.

                      Hope you're back up and sleeping soon!  ....Ed

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 1 5:39 PM
                        Message

                        Thanks Ed – I am currently attached to the walls – no room for a stand.  The hammock is what is giving out – I’m thinking I got a badly made one as it “cants” – meaning one side is actually higher than the other when stretched out – even when sleeping “right” in it, my head is higher than my feet – which is fine for me as I usually prefer to sleep that way, but the “string” is what broke at the woven eye of the hammock.  That’s why I need something that will definitely fit in that space – it will be hanging from the walls.

                        Hopefully, when I sleep in it tonite, I don’t bounce off the floor LOL  No, sleeping in a bed is not an option as I now don’t have one – gave my bed to my son LOL <sigh>

                        Jodi – here’s hoping strings hold!!  I think I’ll go to Buffalo and get one of the cotton hammocks – unless they need 10’ or more to hang – in which case I dunno what I’ll do – except maybe pick up another Traveller and hope it works better this time.

[...]

                      • colonelcorn76
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 1 8:02 PM
                          wrote:

                          > Thanks Jim! This is just the info I was wanting. Personally,
                          with a
                          > nightime temp of 50 I had a problem with cold back at 3AM a few
                          > months back, using just a sleeping bag. Perhaps you sleep warmer
                          > than I do.

                          Maybe. The bag I use is a 30 (or 35?) degree down mummy bag. So even
                          though I'm compressing what's under me it seems to hold enough to
                          keep me from getting chilled (I also usually wear some sort of
                          clothing to bed -- last week it was a t-shirt and silk boxers). The
                          shell on the bag is water repellent (not waterproof) so it's likely
                          to be keeping the air from moving through easily as well.

                          Jim
                        • colonelcorn76
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 1 8:18 PM
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
                            wrote:
                            > Jodi – here's hoping strings hold!! I think I'll go to Buffalo
                            and get
                            > one of the cotton hammocks – unless they need 10' or more to hang –
                            in
                            > which case I dunno what I'll do – except maybe pick up another
                            Traveller
                            > and hope it works better this time.

                            Call the Hennesseys and ask about a Scout model or a customization
                            of one of their other models. No doubt they'll be able to help you
                            out.

                            Jim
                          • alidisaster
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 2 8:49 AM
                              Wasn't there someone on the list who makes heavy cotton hammocks?
                              Maybe they could make one that would fit in your space? Cotton
                              hammocks can really last - and they are very comfy.

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76"
                              <colonelcorn76@y...> wrote:
                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > Jodi – here's hoping strings hold!! I think I'll go to Buffalo
                              > and get
                              > > one of the cotton hammocks – unless they need 10' or more to
                              hang –
                              > in
                              > > which case I dunno what I'll do – except maybe pick up another
                              > Traveller
                              > > and hope it works better this time.
                              >
                              > Call the Hennesseys and ask about a Scout model or a customization
                              > of one of their other models. No doubt they'll be able to help you
                              > out.
                              >
                              > Jim
                            • Tony Burnett
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 2 12:26 PM
                                Define "micro fleece". Can you give me a brand example?

                                I noticed that your gear lists shows a fleece at 19oz and a LJ pants
                                at 5.3oz. I assume the later is NOT fleece.

                                Do you wear "micro fleece" tops AND bottoms? If so, at what temps?

                                At 30F are you wearing anything?

                                --- Risk <geoflyfisher@...> wrote:
                                > Thanks Bear,
                                >
                                > Yeah, I do just fine with the Target 3/8 pad down to about 30 with
                                >
                                > just a quilt. Add some fleece under me (micro fleece long pants
                                > and
                                > a pullover) and I'm good down to below 20. Below that and I need a
                                >
                                > second pad.
                                >
                                > Your info about when you drop the pad entirely is very useful.

                                =====
                                Tony

                                http://sbc.yahoo.com
                              • Risk
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 2 7:36 PM
                                  Hi Tony,

                                  Let me try to remember some of the details. It's 90 degrees outside
                                  and its hard to think about the cold.

                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tony Burnett
                                  <tburnettcis@y...> wrote:
                                  > Define "micro fleece". Can you give me a brand example?

                                  The stuff I am talking about is about 1 to 1.5 mm thick. I think it
                                  is known in as Malden Mills 100 weight. It can be purchased at
                                  Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics and other sources.

                                  > I noticed that your gear lists shows a fleece at 19oz and a LJ pants
                                  > at 5.3oz. I assume the later is NOT fleece.

                                  Except in the dead of winter, my insulating layer for my legs is a
                                  polypro pair of pants. On that list, the fleece top is made from 200
                                  weight material.

                                  > Do you wear "micro fleece" tops AND bottoms? If so, at what temps?

                                  Nah, I almost never wear the fleece when actually hiking. Mainly
                                  because I don't do a great deal of winter camping yet. When the
                                  temps rise above freezing, I no longer need the fleece bottoms and
                                  can just use polypro long underwear.

                                  > At 30F are you wearing anything?

                                  Yes, First layer is almost always a pair of nylon shorts and a
                                  coolmax tee. At thirty, I would be wearing the long pants and the
                                  fleece top. Long pants may either be the polypro, a pair of frogg
                                  togg pants or a nylon breathable pair of pants. It has varied on
                                  different hikes. By 45 degrees at the middle of the night, the long
                                  johns are usually buried in the pack for emergency warmth.

                                  I hope that helps.

                                  Rick
                                • Shane Steinkamp
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 2 9:15 PM
                                    > Shane, some of your comments about sleeping in summertime
                                    > LA come to mind, but I don't remember any of it with
                                    > specific nightime lows mentioned.

                                    I'm way behind in this list, so forgive me if I pull a Dawn...

                                    The lowest temperature you can go padless is a function of both humidity and
                                    wind speed. I've been very comfortable padless all the way down to 60, but
                                    I've also been chilly in temperatures as high as 80. A stiff breeze can
                                    take the heat right away from you. I almost ALWAYS carry the pad, just in
                                    case.

                                    Shane
                                  • Shane Steinkamp
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 2 9:21 PM
                                      > I now have my Byer Traveller hammock hanging in my room –
                                      > but – after only a couple of weeks in it, the strands are
                                      > starting to break (had one break last night – hard time
                                      > going back to sleep after that wondering if the blooming
                                      > thing was gonna crash on me in the middle of the night!!).

                                      Send it back to Byer and ask them to replace it. There is no reason for it
                                      to wear out so quickly.

                                      OR

                                      Get a true Mayan Hammock as Christina mentioned.

                                      OR

                                      Call Tom or Ed and have them custom make you exactly what you want.

                                      Shane
                                    • David Anderson
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 2 10:01 PM
                                        At 11:15 PM 7/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                                        >The lowest temperature you can go padless is a function of both humidity and
                                        >wind speed. I've been very comfortable padless all the way down to 60, but
                                        >I've also been chilly in temperatures as high as 80. A stiff breeze can
                                        >take the heat right away from you. I almost ALWAYS carry the pad, just in
                                        >case.
                                        >
                                        >Shane

                                        Thanks for reminding me why I love the northwest in the summer! Most days
                                        we never hit 80, even at sea level. And if I go climb up a few thousand
                                        feet I get to sleep in nice comfortable 40 degree nights.

                                        --
                                        David Anderson
                                        Moderator
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 3 6:37 AM
                                          Until Ranier rains on the parade!

                                          Coy Boy

                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, David Anderson
                                          <danderson@b...> wrote:
                                          > At 11:15 PM 7/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                                          > >The lowest temperature you can go padless is a function of both
                                          humidity and
                                          > >wind speed. I've been very comfortable padless all the way down
                                          to 60, but
                                          > >I've also been chilly in temperatures as high as 80. A stiff
                                          breeze can
                                          > >take the heat right away from you. I almost ALWAYS carry the
                                          pad, just in
                                          > >case.
                                          > >
                                          > >Shane
                                          >
                                          > Thanks for reminding me why I love the northwest in the summer!
                                          Most days
                                          > we never hit 80, even at sea level. And if I go climb up a few
                                          thousand
                                          > feet I get to sleep in nice comfortable 40 degree nights.
                                          >

                                          > --
                                          > David Anderson
                                          > Moderator
                                          > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org
                                        • Erin
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 3 8:42 AM
                                            All,

                                            I was fortunate to spend a couple summers in Barranquia, Colombia as
                                            a child. I visited friends of the family so I travelled without my
                                            parents. While in Colombia I was introduced to their wonderful
                                            hammocks. In that region they are brightly colored cotton fabric
                                            (perhaps 8'x5') with cotton string ends. I was able to bring a
                                            couple examples back with me. We usually used them to lounge inside
                                            our cabin in the Allegheny mountains of Western PA. At that time I
                                            was light enough to hang the hammocks off of 16 penny nails hammered
                                            into the rafters.

                                            I always wanted to use the hammock to sleep in but my parents (who
                                            layed in the hammocks like bananas in their skins) were convinced
                                            that my back would hurt and simply wouldn't permit it. They just
                                            didn't get it. I would lay in the hammocks diagonally (or even
                                            perpendicular to the hanging points), as I had seen them do in South
                                            America, and knew how wonderfully comfortable they really were.
                                            Amazingly, we slept in sleeping bags on bunks made out of old doors
                                            without padding... this was supposed to be more comfortable!?!?

                                            Anyway, and finally to my point, some 27 years later I still have
                                            those hammocks and they are still in great shape. This thread has
                                            convinced me that I need to hang these inside. I probably won't be
                                            able to convince my wife that we should be sleeping in separate
                                            hammocks so I won't be joining the hammock slumber devotees. But I
                                            do want to spend as many of my waking hours in a hammock as
                                            possible. I plan on using Ed's technique of tying a 2x4 into several
                                            studs. Ed, do you have your inside hammock attached diagonally
                                            between two attached walls or to two walls across from each other?
                                            Would either configuration leave any structural concerns? Call me
                                            paranoid (or maybe just ignorant... I really don't know much about
                                            construction) but I'm a little afraid of my 225 lbs pulling the walls
                                            in. If diagonal, is it important to have the hammock and walls
                                            create a 45/45/90 deg triangle or would 30/60/90 work as well? And,
                                            what about using a similar technique to tie into rafters? Any
                                            concerns with that?

                                            Thanks, everyone, for your contributions. You have all made this a
                                            really great list.

                                            Erin

                                            p.s. Ed: This is my first post so let me say "thank you" for your
                                            efforts and contributions to the list. I particularly respect the
                                            degree of objectivity and generosity that you manage given that you
                                            actually have a commercial interest in hammock camping.

                                            > Jodi, I feel your pain! Having a hammock fail under you is
                                            certainly
                                            > not conducive for sleep!
                                            >
                                            > Your hanging space is limited and thus not suitable for many stands
                                            that
                                            > angle outward as much as 15'. Instead of a stand, can you mount
                                            > directly to the walls? I've hung my hammock in the bedroom using
                                            3/4"
                                            > thick eyebolts screwed into 4' long 2X4's that are mounted
                                            horizontially
                                            > so they could be screwed into several of the vertical studs inside
                                            the
                                            > walls--dosen't look pretty, but it works. My walls are sheetrock
                                            over
                                            > thin boards. Attaching the horizontal 2X4's to the wall studs is
                                            the
                                            > key--I used lots of 4" long screws. This has held for several
                                            years now
                                            > and I too sleep in the hammock nearly every night.
                                            >
                                            > Hope you're back up and sleeping soon! ....Ed

                                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
                                            05

                                            065843:HM/A=1652963/R=0/SIG=11tvulr8i/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?
                                            mq

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 3 9:26 AM
                                              Message
                                              Welcome and thanks for the kind words Erin.  My bedroom hammock is attached straight between opposite walls. Obviously sturdy walls are necessary--my old house has bomb-proof  rock and wood walls, but newer houses generally have less sturdy ones.  If in doubt, hanging the hammock diagonally near the corner between walls might be wise.   My two horizontal 4.5' 2X4s are very securely screwed into my walls such that each one crosses 3 vertical interior-wall studs--at each stud, 5 long screws (4" ea) secure the horizontal 2X4s; in addition numerous random shorter screws also secure the 2X4s to each wall between the studs.  This is a lot of screws, but I've not noticed any problems after 1.5 years of nightly use.  The anchor hardware is 1" eyebolts made from 1/2" dia steel--these screw into the horizontal 2X4s about 3" deep.  The eyebolts do NOT enter any studs, but it would probably be better if they did.

                                              Erin, hanging from raffters may require a similar reinforced setup.  Whatever you do, watch closely for developing damage or failure....Ed

> [...]

                                              > Your hanging space is limited and thus not suitable for many stands
                                              that
                                              > angle outward as much as 15'.  Instead of a stand, can you mount
                                              > directly to the walls?  I've hung my hammock in the bedroom using
                                              3/4"
                                              > thick eyebolts screwed into 4' long 2X4's that are mounted
                                              horizontially
                                              > so they could be screwed into several of the vertical studs inside
                                              the
                                              > walls--dosen't look pretty, but it works.  My walls are sheetrock
                                              over
                                              > thin boards.  Attaching the horizontal 2X4's to the wall studs is
                                              the
                                              > key--I used lots of 4" long screws.  This has held for several
                                              years now
                                              > and I too sleep in the hammock nearly every night.

                                              > Hope you're back up and sleeping soon!  ....Ed

                                            • Shane
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 3 2:50 PM
                                                > Thanks for reminding me why I love the northwest in
                                                > the summer! Most days we never hit 80, even at sea
                                                > level. And if I go climb up a few thousand feet I
                                                > get to sleep in nice comfortable 40 degree nights.

                                                Absolutely. Down here in the muck and the mire, there are certain
                                                drawbacks. I wish I could say that it was worth it...

                                                There are, of course, more than enough trees to hang hammocks from. There
                                                is no tree line until you hit the water, and hiking in February doesn't
                                                involve ice storms...

                                                Shne
                                              • David Anderson
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 3 3:27 PM
                                                  At 04:50 PM 7/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                                                  > > Thanks for reminding me why I love the northwest in
                                                  > > the summer! Most days we never hit 80, even at sea
                                                  > > level. And if I go climb up a few thousand feet I
                                                  > > get to sleep in nice comfortable 40 degree nights.
                                                  >
                                                  >Absolutely. Down here in the muck and the mire, there are certain
                                                  >drawbacks. I wish I could say that it was worth it...
                                                  >
                                                  >There are, of course, more than enough trees to hang hammocks from. There
                                                  >is no tree line until you hit the water, and hiking in February doesn't
                                                  >involve ice storms...
                                                  >
                                                  >Shne

                                                  Yeah, winter weather can be entertaining, that's why I stick with the coast
                                                  in the winter. Summers with a late snowpack are more annoying though. In
                                                  late July most of the trails that went above 5000' at any point still had
                                                  snow. And summer slushy snow is a lot less fun than winter snow and ice.

                                                  As for the trees, I've never had trouble finding trees sinc4e I rarely camp
                                                  above treeline. It's more of a problem with needing 30' tree straps if I'm
                                                  in an old growth area.

                                                  At some point I would like try hanging a hammock over the water from a
                                                  canoe just to claim that I'd done it. The danger is that I'm not always to
                                                  lucid when I wake up in the morning (okay, make that "never") and would
                                                  probably end up as gator bait.

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jul 5 8:46 AM
                                                    Short report on the 3-4th trip focused on the padand the temperature.

                                                    My Frau Diane (Newly trail named EllieD) and I did a gentle 6 miles
                                                    in the heat and humidity on Thursday. Set up camp in an approved
                                                    campsite at Zalinsli State Forest, Ohio. Temp 92 degrees. Humidity
                                                    about 90 percent...

                                                    I agree strongly with Shane about one thing, temperature and wind are
                                                    both important, as is humidity.

                                                    By sun down it was down to 86 degrees and we went to the trees. No
                                                    pad. No wind (<5mph) I was able to get to sleep fairly cool and did
                                                    well. About 2 or 3 AM as the temps dropped below 70, My back felt a
                                                    little cool to touch, but I was not cold. EllieD said she had the
                                                    same experience. If it had dropped a few more degrees or if the wind
                                                    had picked up, I would have taken the few seconds it would have taken
                                                    to slide the pad out of my pack and between the two layers of my
                                                    hammock.

                                                    Next day did a fun 10 miles along a forested canyon with many
                                                    waterfalls. That felt good!

                                                    Pics soon, I promise.

                                                    Risk