Re: [Hammock Camping] hennesey hammock coming in the mail

  • Moz
    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 8, 2008
      conifir1 said:
      > also has anybody messed around with any solar chargers...........what
      > kind? and who did you purchase the charger from?

      I've got a cheap eBay phone charger but it's junk. It works better as
      a second battery (it has one in it) and the panels are not really
      worth the effort - they claim 80mW which is plausible, but it's barely
      enough to start the cell charging in full sunlight. It takes more than
      a day to recharge the cell built into it.

      What I've used with considerable success is a bigger panel (5W or
      more) connected to a proper charger (I use a small 12V SLA as ballast
      and run various 12V chargers, some of which won't run directly off the
      battery, they need the panel working too). The design essential is a
      battery that can sink the full rated power of the panel and a panel
      rated for your largest load. If you knew enough not to need to ask the
      question there are ways to reduce the size of one or the other but the
      risk is that either your setup won't work or you'll damage the
      battery.

      For a recent cycle tour I carried a full solar demonstration rig (20W
      panel, 18AH 12V SLA, two multimeters wired into it, charge controller,
      powering a laptop, inverter and various other things) but that
      weighed about 20kg.

      What do the random dot sequences mean in your messages? I
      find them hard to read and can't see what they add?

      Moz
    • j.a. tackett
      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 15, 2008
        thanks this should keep me busy for awhile......

        just got my super shelter in the post today.........

        raining here

        tomorrow i will go and see how it sets up