Experience With Bivy?

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2008
      Experience With Bivy?

      Let me start out by saying that I have never used a bivy.

      That being said, my questions are several fold:

      Does anyone have any specific experience with the Montbell Gore Tex bivy?
      Next given that the Montbell bivy has no face guard, how do you keep
      your head and face from getting rained on/snow covered?
      Lastly, do most folks use their bivy's with or without a ground cloth
      or tent?

      Thanks In Advance!

      WalksInDark
    • Chuck Henderson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 27, 2008
        I have a custom made bivvy bag, and to be honest I love it! I never
        used a ground sheet even when using a tent, all they are is another
        surface for water to collect on.

        I use a small tarp set up lean-to style to shelter my bag and keep
        the heat when I am using it in the fall, summer time I didn't bother
        unless it was gonna rain.

        I have since discovered hammock camping and only use my bivvy bag
        when the temp dips in the fall or early spring