Re: Places to camp in the uk (or to be precise in the south east)

  • sjedwardson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 23, 2008
      Thanks for the response, i'll give it a try.

      Sam
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "JC" <cyberdine.systems@...> wrote:

      > Sam,
      >
      > Also originally from Essex. Being a rural county. it's always good to
      > get friendly with your local farmers. i have had success in the county
      > over a number of years. As long as you ask the permission of the land
      > owner and remember not to camp near any livestock and discuss the low
      > impact of hammock camping. Most farmers won't mind. Fire lighting is
      > something some farmers allow if you show you are repsponsible and
      > carefull not to make fires near any leaf litter, crops. I can't give
      > farms to you as it can depend on the time of the year what crops,
      > livestock they have. But I've had a 100% record just turning up on my
      > bike with a hammock and a friendly respectfull approach to the farmers.
      >
      > John
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"
      > <sam.edwardson@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am a keen hammock camper but living in essex there are no places
      > > that I am aware of that will accommodate my interest. Does anyone
      > > know of any good camp sites/farms that will allow me to camp. All and
      > > any help would be greatly appreciated.
      > >
      > > Regards
      > >
      > > Sam

    • coraclenigel
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 24, 2008
        Hi Sam

        I have had much success stealth hammocking on the South Downs and the New Forest
        which is just over the water from me. Usually if you are discreet you can usually get a
        hammock in almost any where and the North Downs may yield some good spots. I would
        also expect there to be some good woodland areas in Kent worth a look and if you ask
        you may get a regular spot. I use my hammock when I go out with the canoe and from
        the water you can find some real good places to hang.

        I also know of a woodland near Hereford where one can hammock and also have a fire.
        Another fire alternative is to use a 'fire box' which as well as being more economical will
        leave little trace.

        Nigel
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson" <sam.edwardson@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the response, i'll give it a try.
        >
        > Sam
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "JC" <cyberdine.systems@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Sam,
        > >
        > > Also originally from Essex. Being a rural county. it's always good to
        > > get friendly with your local farmers. i have had success in the county
        > > over a number of years. As long as you ask the permission of the land
        > > owner and remember not to camp near any livestock and discuss the low
        > > impact of hammock camping. Most farmers won't mind. Fire lighting is
        > > something some farmers allow if you show you are repsponsible and
        > > carefull not to make fires near any leaf litter, crops. I can't give
        > > farms to you as it can depend on the time of the year what crops,
        > > livestock they have. But I've had a 100% record just turning up on my
        > > bike with a hammock and a friendly respectfull approach to the farmers.
        > >
        > > John
        > >
        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"
        > > <sam.edwardson@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I am a keen hammock camper but living in essex there are no places
        > > > that I am aware of that will accommodate my interest. Does anyone
        > > > know of any good camp sites/farms that will allow me to camp. All and
        > > > any help would be greatly appreciated.
        > > >
        > > > Regards
        > > >
        > > > Sam

      • sjedwardson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 24, 2008
          Thanks for the reply, just a daft question but whats a fire box? also
          the places that you have stayed in that allow both hammock and fire,
          could you forward me the details please as I would love to have a bit
          of a range of places to stay other than one campsite I know in the
          south downs (Blackberry Wood - which is excellent)

          Thanks

          Sam

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "coraclenigel"
          <coraclenigel@...> wrote:

          > Hi Sam
          >
          > I have had much success stealth hammocking on the South Downs and
          the New Forest
          > which is just over the water from me. Usually if you are discreet
          you can usually get a
          > hammock in almost any where and the North Downs may yield some good
          spots. I would
          > also expect there to be some good woodland areas in Kent worth a
          look and if you ask
          > you may get a regular spot. I use my hammock when I go out with the
          canoe and from
          > the water you can find some real good places to hang.
          >
          > I also know of a woodland near Hereford where one can hammock and
          also have a fire.
          > Another fire alternative is to use a 'fire box' which as well as
          being more economical will
          > leave little trace.
          >
          > Nigel
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"
          <sam.edwardson@> wrote:

          > > Thanks for the response, i'll give it a try.
          > >
          > > Sam
          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "JC" <cyberdine.systems@>
          wrote:

          > > > Sam,
          > > >
          > > > Also originally from Essex. Being a rural county. it's always
          good to
          > > > get friendly with your local farmers. i have had success in the
          county
          > > > over a number of years. As long as you ask the permission of the
          land
          > > > owner and remember not to camp near any livestock and discuss
          the low
          > > > impact of hammock camping. Most farmers won't mind. Fire
          lighting is
          > > > something some farmers allow if you show you are repsponsible and
          > > > carefull not to make fires near any leaf litter, crops. I can't
          give
          > > > farms to you as it can depend on the time of the year what crops,
          > > > livestock they have. But I've had a 100% record just turning up
          on my
          > > > bike with a hammock and a friendly respectfull approach to the
          farmers.

          > > > John
          > > >
          > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"

          All and

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 25, 2008
            In the US, we would call it a fire pan. It's just something to build
            the fire in--contains ashes and prevents a burnt patch on the ground.
            Sometimes, it even improves fuel efficiency.

            Something like a Kelly Kettle comes with it's own fire pan.

            CL