Re: Places to camp in the uk (or to be precise in the south east)

  • JC
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 23, 2008
      Sam,

      Also originally from Essex. Being a rural county. it's always good to
      get friendly with your local farmers. i have had success in the county
      over a number of years. As long as you ask the permission of the land
      owner and remember not to camp near any livestock and discuss the low
      impact of hammock camping. Most farmers won't mind. Fire lighting is
      something some farmers allow if you show you are repsponsible and
      carefull not to make fires near any leaf litter, crops. I can't give
      farms to you as it can depend on the time of the year what crops,
      livestock they have. But I've had a 100% record just turning up on my
      bike with a hammock and a friendly respectfull approach to the farmers.

      John

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"
      <sam.edwardson@...> wrote:

      > I am a keen hammock camper but living in essex there are no places
      > that I am aware of that will accommodate my interest. Does anyone
      > know of any good camp sites/farms that will allow me to camp. All and
      > any help would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Sam

    • sjedwardson
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 23, 2008
        Thanks for the response, i'll give it a try.

        Sam
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "JC" <cyberdine.systems@...> wrote:

        > Sam,
        >
        > Also originally from Essex. Being a rural county. it's always good to
        > get friendly with your local farmers. i have had success in the county
        > over a number of years. As long as you ask the permission of the land
        > owner and remember not to camp near any livestock and discuss the low
        > impact of hammock camping. Most farmers won't mind. Fire lighting is
        > something some farmers allow if you show you are repsponsible and
        > carefull not to make fires near any leaf litter, crops. I can't give
        > farms to you as it can depend on the time of the year what crops,
        > livestock they have. But I've had a 100% record just turning up on my
        > bike with a hammock and a friendly respectfull approach to the farmers.
        >
        > John
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"
        > <sam.edwardson@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I am a keen hammock camper but living in essex there are no places
        > > that I am aware of that will accommodate my interest. Does anyone
        > > know of any good camp sites/farms that will allow me to camp. All and
        > > any help would be greatly appreciated.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > >
        > > Sam

      • coraclenigel
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 24, 2008
          Hi Sam

          I have had much success stealth hammocking on the South Downs and the New Forest
          which is just over the water from me. Usually if you are discreet you can usually get a
          hammock in almost any where and the North Downs may yield some good spots. I would
          also expect there to be some good woodland areas in Kent worth a look and if you ask
          you may get a regular spot. I use my hammock when I go out with the canoe and from
          the water you can find some real good places to hang.

          I also know of a woodland near Hereford where one can hammock and also have a fire.
          Another fire alternative is to use a 'fire box' which as well as being more economical will
          leave little trace.

          Nigel
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson" <sam.edwardson@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the response, i'll give it a try.
          >
          > Sam
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "JC" <cyberdine.systems@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Sam,
          > >
          > > Also originally from Essex. Being a rural county. it's always good to
          > > get friendly with your local farmers. i have had success in the county
          > > over a number of years. As long as you ask the permission of the land
          > > owner and remember not to camp near any livestock and discuss the low
          > > impact of hammock camping. Most farmers won't mind. Fire lighting is
          > > something some farmers allow if you show you are repsponsible and
          > > carefull not to make fires near any leaf litter, crops. I can't give
          > > farms to you as it can depend on the time of the year what crops,
          > > livestock they have. But I've had a 100% record just turning up on my
          > > bike with a hammock and a friendly respectfull approach to the farmers.
          > >
          > > John
          > >
          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"
          > > <sam.edwardson@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I am a keen hammock camper but living in essex there are no places
          > > > that I am aware of that will accommodate my interest. Does anyone
          > > > know of any good camp sites/farms that will allow me to camp. All and
          > > > any help would be greatly appreciated.
          > > >
          > > > Regards
          > > >
          > > > Sam

        • sjedwardson
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 24, 2008
            Thanks for the reply, just a daft question but whats a fire box? also
            the places that you have stayed in that allow both hammock and fire,
            could you forward me the details please as I would love to have a bit
            of a range of places to stay other than one campsite I know in the
            south downs (Blackberry Wood - which is excellent)

            Thanks

            Sam

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "coraclenigel"
            <coraclenigel@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sam
            >
            > I have had much success stealth hammocking on the South Downs and
            the New Forest
            > which is just over the water from me. Usually if you are discreet
            you can usually get a
            > hammock in almost any where and the North Downs may yield some good
            spots. I would
            > also expect there to be some good woodland areas in Kent worth a
            look and if you ask
            > you may get a regular spot. I use my hammock when I go out with the
            canoe and from
            > the water you can find some real good places to hang.
            >
            > I also know of a woodland near Hereford where one can hammock and
            also have a fire.
            > Another fire alternative is to use a 'fire box' which as well as
            being more economical will
            > leave little trace.
            >
            > Nigel
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"
            <sam.edwardson@> wrote:

            > > Thanks for the response, i'll give it a try.
            > >
            > > Sam
            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "JC" <cyberdine.systems@>
            wrote:

            > > > Sam,
            > > >
            > > > Also originally from Essex. Being a rural county. it's always
            good to
            > > > get friendly with your local farmers. i have had success in the
            county
            > > > over a number of years. As long as you ask the permission of the
            land
            > > > owner and remember not to camp near any livestock and discuss
            the low
            > > > impact of hammock camping. Most farmers won't mind. Fire
            lighting is
            > > > something some farmers allow if you show you are repsponsible and
            > > > carefull not to make fires near any leaf litter, crops. I can't
            give
            > > > farms to you as it can depend on the time of the year what crops,
            > > > livestock they have. But I've had a 100% record just turning up
            on my
            > > > bike with a hammock and a friendly respectfull approach to the
            farmers.

            > > > John
            > > >
            > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"

            All and

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 25, 2008
              In the US, we would call it a fire pan. It's just something to build
              the fire in--contains ashes and prevents a burnt patch on the ground.
              Sometimes, it even improves fuel efficiency.

              Something like a Kelly Kettle comes with it's own fire pan.

              CL