Re: Exped Down Mat

  • Ken Zeigler
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 23 5:50 AM
      Would you say that it can be used instead of an under quilt or other
      forms of cold weather systems?

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Corbett House" <cahouse@...>

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 23 3:24 PM
        Ken-

        I picked up a second-hand Exped Down Air Mat last Christmas. I used it
        for a few nights on a friend's cement floor and one night on a trail
        shelter's wooden floor. It has been the only thing comfortable enough
        for me to sleep on a hard surface. I have not tried it in a hammock.
        The DAMs are supposed to be quite warm when used in a hammock, as
        reports go.

        Regards,

        Rosaleen

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Zeigler" <k.zeigler@...>
        wrote:

        > Has anyone used the Exped downmat that Outdoor Research makes?
      • rosaleen43
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 23 3:29 PM
          Rogene-

          YOu really have to turn those valves, maybe pushing down, I forget
          about that part, since I've only used the mat a few times. I had the
          same issue, as did another friend as well as Tim. You will feel as
          if you might break the valve, but it really does take a firm twist
          until the valve pops into locking position. Dang! I hope the
          arthritis in our hands does not prevent our using these lovely toys!

          Best,

          Rosaleen

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
          wrote:
          SNIP
          > I have trouble keeping it inflated as the valves seem to
          > be loosen up during the night. Anyone here know a cure for that or
          know what
          > I'm dong wrong with the valves?
          > Rogene

        • C C Wayah
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 23 4:21 PM
            Thanks Rosaleen and Tim,

            MY DH pulled out the mattress and I tired closing the valves as you both
            suggested. It's hard for me with my carpel tunnel and arthritis but I think
            I did it. I'll have to blow up the mattress and sleep on it this weekend.

            Rogene

            > YOu really have to turn those valves, maybe pushing down, I forget
            > about that part, since I've only used the mat a few times. I had the
            > same issue, as did another friend as well as Tim. You will feel as
            > if you might break the valve, but it really does take a firm twist
            > until the valve pops into locking position. Dang! I hope the
            > arthritis in our hands does not prevent our using these lovely toys!
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Rosaleen
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
            > wrote:
            > SNIP
            >> I have trouble keeping it inflated as the valves seem to
            >> be loosen up during the night. Anyone here know a cure for that or
            > know what
            >> I'm dong wrong with the valves?
            >> Rogene

          • Blake Robert
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 25 9:18 AM
              I decided to go straight to OR about this question---read on.

              "Jason Rudolph" <jasonr@...>Add sender to Contacts

              To:
              xflagstaff9@...

              if (typeof YAHOO == "undefined") {
              var YAHOO = {};
              }
              YAHOO.Shortcuts = YAHOO.Shortcuts || {};
              YAHOO.Shortcuts.hasSensitiveText = true;
              YAHOO.Shortcuts.sensitivityType = ["adult"];
              YAHOO.Shortcuts.doUlt = false;
              YAHOO.Shortcuts.location = "us";
              YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_id = 0;
              YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_type = "";
              YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_title = "RE: Downmat 7";
              YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_publish_date = "";
              YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_author = "jasonr@...";
              YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_url = "";
              YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_tags = "";
              YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_language = "english";
              YAHOO.Shortcuts.annotationSet = {
              "lw_1222359215_0": {
              "text": "(800) 421-2421 x306",
              "extended": 0,
              "startchar": 1373,
              "endchar": 1391,
              "start": 1373,
              "end": 1391,
              "extendedFrom": "",
              "predictedCategory": "",
              "predictionProbability": "0",
              "weight": 1,
              "relScore": 0,
              "type": ["shortcuts:/us/instance/identifier/phone_number/us"],
              "category": ["IDENTIFIER"],
              "wikiId": "",
              "relatedWikiIds": [],
              "relatedEntities": [],
              "showOnClick": [],
              "context": "",
              "metaData": {
              "visible": "true"
              }
              },
              "lw_1222359215_1": {
              "text": "(800) 421-2419",
              "extended": 0,
              "startchar": 1407,
              "endchar": 1420,
              "start": 1407,
              "end": 1420,
              "extendedFrom": "",
              "predictedCategory": "",
              "predictionProbability": "0",
              "weight": 1,
              "relScore": 0,
              "type": ["shortcuts:/us/instance/identifier/phone_number/us"],
              "category": ["IDENTIFIER"],
              "wikiId": "",
              "relatedWikiIds": [],
              "relatedEntities": [],
              "showOnClick": [],
              "context": "",
              "metaData": {
              "visible": "true"
              }
              },
              "lw_1222359215_2": {
              "text": "www.outdoorresearch.com",
              "extended": 0,
              "startchar": 1425,
              "endchar": 1447,
              "start": 1425,
              "end": 1447,
              "extendedFrom": "",
              "predictedCategory": "",
              "predictionProbability": "0",
              "weight": 1,
              "relScore": 0,
              "type": ["shortcuts:/us/place/virtual/web_site"],
              "category": ["IDENTIFIER"],
              "wikiId": "",
              "relatedWikiIds": [],
              "relatedEntities": [],
              "showOnClick": [],
              "context": "Outdoor Research / Exped Phone:  (800) 421-2421 x306 Fax:  (800) 421-2419 www.outdoorresearch.com www.humanpoweredadventure.com    -----Original Message----- From: Blake Robert [mailto:xflagstaff9@...]  Sent: Wednesday, September",
              "metaData": {
              "visible": "true"
              }
              },
              "lw_1222359215_3": {
              "text": "www.humanpoweredadventure.com",
              "extended": 0,
              "startchar": 1452,
              "endchar": 1480,
              "start": 1452,
              "end": 1480,
              "extendedFrom": "",
              "predictedCategory": "",
              "predictionProbability": "0",
              "weight": 1,
              "relScore": 0,
              "type": ["shortcuts:/us/place/virtual/web_site"],
              "category": ["IDENTIFIER"],
              "wikiId": "",
              "relatedWikiIds": [],
              "relatedEntities": [],
              "showOnClick": [],
              "context": "Research / Exped Phone:  (800) 421-2421 x306 Fax:  (800) 421-2419 www.outdoorresearch.com www.humanpoweredadventure.com    -----Original Message----- From: Blake Robert [mailto:xflagstaff9@...]  Sent: Wednesday, September 24",
              "metaData": {
              "visible": "true"
              }
              },
              "lw_1222359215_4": {
              "text": "xflagstaff9@...",
              "extended": 0,
              "startchar": 1629,
              "endchar": 1649,
              "start": 1629,
              "end": 1649,
              "extendedFrom": "",
              "predictedCategory": "",
              "predictionProbability": "0",
              "weight": 1,
              "relScore": 0,
              "type": ["shortcuts:/us/instance/identifier/hyperlink/mailto"],
              "category": ["IDENTIFIER"],
              "wikiId": "",
              "relatedWikiIds": [],
              "relatedEntities": [],
              "showOnClick": [],
              "context": "",
              "metaData": {
              "linkHref": "mailto:xflagstaff9@...",
              "linkProtocol": "mailto",
              "linkYmailto": "mailto:xflagstaff9@...",
              "visible": "true"
              }
              },
              "lw_1222359215_5": {
              "text": "Hammock Camping",
              "extended": 0,
              "startchar": 1980,
              "endchar": 1994,
              "start": 1980,
              "end": 1994,
              "extendedFrom": "",
              "predictedCategory": "",
              "predictionProbability": "0",
              "weight": 0.34463,
              "relScore": 2.54814,
              "type": ["shortcuts:/concept"],
              "category": ["CONCEPT"],
              "wikiId": "Hammock_camping",
              "relatedWikiIds": [],
              "relatedEntities": [],
              "showOnClick": [],
              "context": "was lowered into the hammock.    The current chat topic at Hammock Camping is the use of the Downmat----how to use it in",
              "metaData": {
              "visible": "false"
              }
              }
              };
              YAHOO.Shortcuts.headerID = "b0273f197d059279e12181b5bf157ec6";

              Blake,

              Thanks for the email.  I'll do my best to answer your downmat questions.
              First off, the valves are a little stiffer than a traditional valve and
              you do need to twist them all the way until they stop to be sure that
              they are closed.  This is different than a traditional screw-type valve
              that only needs to be finger tight.

              I have never been afraid of breaking the valve, but maybe it would seem
              so to others (especially if you are worried about stripping the threads
              -this is nearly impossible with this design).

              If a valve breaks, repair or replacement may be possible, depending on
              the issue.  Give us a call and we will work with you to find a solution.
              We will provide warranty service in the event of a broken valve.

              In the field, remember that you have two valves on the mat, so there is
              a redundancy built into the design.  If one breaks, try to seal it off
              and carry on.  If you can't seal it from the outside, you can glue it
              closed if you have to and carry on with your trip.  Give us a call when
              you get back for warranty service.

              I hope this helps.  Feel free to contact me with any further questions.

              Regards,
              Jason

              Jason Rudolph
              Customer Service

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 28 4:39 AM
                wrote:

                > Would you say that it can be used instead of an under quilt or other
                > forms of cold weather systems?

                Plenty of people do. You sometimes need a little more width for pads
                in a hammock than on the ground because of the way a hammock tends to
                wrap around your shoulders. Some folks use well place clothes or
                stuff sacks for that or others use a SPE (segmented pad extender) that
                Speer Hammocks makes for that.
                http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm .

                Dave Womble
                aka Youngblood 2000AT