Exped Down Mat

  • Ken Zeigler
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 22, 2008
      Has anyone used the Exped downmat that Outdoor Research makes?

      http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?
      id=0031768516865a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-
      results1.jsp&Ntt=pad&Ntk=Products&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%
      3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%
      2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 22, 2008
        I use the full length # 7 version & I love it. Really warm to lay on when it's cold out. ...Tim

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 22, 2008
          A friend gave me her 3/4 Exped Down mat. I am short so it works with me well
          except,
          I have trouble keeping it inflated as the valves seem to
          be loosen up during the night. Anyone here know a cure for that or know what
          I'm dong wrong with the valves?
          Rogene
        • Corbett House
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 22, 2008
            Hello,
            I use the 9 and love it. The only rub is the time it takes to inflate with
            the dry bag/pump/pillow.

            Corb

            _____

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 22, 2008
                I had that problem too. I found that the valve has to be twisted hard enough (while pushing it down) that you feel it "pop" into the closed position.  Try that & see if you feel it "pop", or "click" into the closing position.
                If not, I would see about returning it. They have been good to take care of problems for me.
              I had my local exped dealer (an outfitter) call & describe the problem. They had him ship it back & they replaced it at no charge w/ a brand new mat... twice.
                 The first time, the center of a valve popped out. The second time, two of the welds that formed the channels began to separate.  So I'm on my third exped DAM now. They said improvements had been made in the materials & assembly process.

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008
                Would you say that it can be used instead of an under quilt or other
                forms of cold weather systems?

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Corbett House" <cahouse@...>
                wrote:

                > Hello,
                > I use the 9 and love it. The only rub is the time it takes to
                inflate with
                > the dry bag/pump/pillow.
                >
                > Corb
                >
                > _____

              • rosaleen43
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008
                  Ken-

                  I picked up a second-hand Exped Down Air Mat last Christmas. I used it
                  for a few nights on a friend's cement floor and one night on a trail
                  shelter's wooden floor. It has been the only thing comfortable enough
                  for me to sleep on a hard surface. I have not tried it in a hammock.
                  The DAMs are supposed to be quite warm when used in a hammock, as
                  reports go.

                  Regards,

                  Rosaleen

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Zeigler" <k.zeigler@...>

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008
                    Rogene-

                    YOu really have to turn those valves, maybe pushing down, I forget
                    about that part, since I've only used the mat a few times. I had the
                    same issue, as did another friend as well as Tim. You will feel as
                    if you might break the valve, but it really does take a firm twist
                    until the valve pops into locking position. Dang! I hope the
                    arthritis in our hands does not prevent our using these lovely toys!

                    Best,

                    Rosaleen

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
                    wrote:
                    SNIP
                    > I have trouble keeping it inflated as the valves seem to
                    > be loosen up during the night. Anyone here know a cure for that or
                    know what
                    > I'm dong wrong with the valves?
                    > Rogene

                  • C C Wayah
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008
                      Thanks Rosaleen and Tim,

                      MY DH pulled out the mattress and I tired closing the valves as you both
                      suggested. It's hard for me with my carpel tunnel and arthritis but I think
                      I did it. I'll have to blow up the mattress and sleep on it this weekend.

                      Rogene

                      > YOu really have to turn those valves, maybe pushing down, I forget
                      > about that part, since I've only used the mat a few times. I had the
                      > same issue, as did another friend as well as Tim. You will feel as
                      > if you might break the valve, but it really does take a firm twist
                      > until the valve pops into locking position. Dang! I hope the
                      > arthritis in our hands does not prevent our using these lovely toys!
                      >
                      > Best,
                      >
                      > Rosaleen
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > SNIP
                      >> I have trouble keeping it inflated as the valves seem to
                      >> be loosen up during the night. Anyone here know a cure for that or
                      > know what
                      >> I'm dong wrong with the valves?
                      >> Rogene

                    • Blake Robert
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 25, 2008
                        I decided to go straight to OR about this question---read on.

                        "Jason Rudolph" <jasonr@...>Add sender to Contacts

                        To:
                        xflagstaff9@...

                        if (typeof YAHOO == "undefined") {
                        var YAHOO = {};
                        }
                        YAHOO.Shortcuts = YAHOO.Shortcuts || {};
                        YAHOO.Shortcuts.hasSensitiveText = true;
                        YAHOO.Shortcuts.sensitivityType = ["adult"];
                        YAHOO.Shortcuts.doUlt = false;
                        YAHOO.Shortcuts.location = "us";
                        YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_id = 0;
                        YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_type = "";
                        YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_title = "RE: Downmat 7";
                        YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_publish_date = "";
                        YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_author = "jasonr@...";
                        YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_url = "";
                        YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_tags = "";
                        YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_language = "english";
                        YAHOO.Shortcuts.annotationSet = {
                        "lw_1222359215_0": {
                        "text": "(800) 421-2421 x306",
                        "extended": 0,
                        "startchar": 1373,
                        "endchar": 1391,
                        "start": 1373,
                        "end": 1391,
                        "extendedFrom": "",
                        "predictedCategory": "",
                        "predictionProbability": "0",
                        "weight": 1,
                        "relScore": 0,
                        "type": ["shortcuts:/us/instance/identifier/phone_number/us"],
                        "category": ["IDENTIFIER"],
                        "wikiId": "",
                        "relatedWikiIds": [],
                        "relatedEntities": [],
                        "showOnClick": [],
                        "context": "",
                        "metaData": {
                        "visible": "true"
                        }
                        },
                        "lw_1222359215_1": {
                        "text": "(800) 421-2419",
                        "extended": 0,
                        "startchar": 1407,
                        "endchar": 1420,
                        "start": 1407,
                        "end": 1420,
                        "extendedFrom": "",
                        "predictedCategory": "",
                        "predictionProbability": "0",
                        "weight": 1,
                        "relScore": 0,
                        "type": ["shortcuts:/us/instance/identifier/phone_number/us"],
                        "category": ["IDENTIFIER"],
                        "wikiId": "",
                        "relatedWikiIds": [],
                        "relatedEntities": [],
                        "showOnClick": [],
                        "context": "",
                        "metaData": {
                        "visible": "true"
                        }
                        },
                        "lw_1222359215_2": {
                        "text": "www.outdoorresearch.com",
                        "extended": 0,
                        "startchar": 1425,
                        "endchar": 1447,
                        "start": 1425,
                        "end": 1447,
                        "extendedFrom": "",
                        "predictedCategory": "",
                        "predictionProbability": "0",
                        "weight": 1,
                        "relScore": 0,
                        "type": ["shortcuts:/us/place/virtual/web_site"],
                        "category": ["IDENTIFIER"],
                        "wikiId": "",
                        "relatedWikiIds": [],
                        "relatedEntities": [],
                        "showOnClick": [],
                        "context": "Outdoor Research / Exped Phone:  (800) 421-2421 x306 Fax:  (800) 421-2419 www.outdoorresearch.com www.humanpoweredadventure.com    -----Original Message----- From: Blake Robert [mailto:xflagstaff9@...]  Sent: Wednesday, September",
                        "metaData": {
                        "visible": "true"
                        }
                        },
                        "lw_1222359215_3": {
                        "text": "www.humanpoweredadventure.com",
                        "extended": 0,
                        "startchar": 1452,
                        "endchar": 1480,
                        "start": 1452,
                        "end": 1480,
                        "extendedFrom": "",
                        "predictedCategory": "",
                        "predictionProbability": "0",
                        "weight": 1,
                        "relScore": 0,
                        "type": ["shortcuts:/us/place/virtual/web_site"],
                        "category": ["IDENTIFIER"],
                        "wikiId": "",
                        "relatedWikiIds": [],
                        "relatedEntities": [],
                        "showOnClick": [],
                        "context": "Research / Exped Phone:  (800) 421-2421 x306 Fax:  (800) 421-2419 www.outdoorresearch.com www.humanpoweredadventure.com    -----Original Message----- From: Blake Robert [mailto:xflagstaff9@...]  Sent: Wednesday, September 24",
                        "metaData": {
                        "visible": "true"
                        }
                        },
                        "lw_1222359215_4": {
                        "text": "xflagstaff9@...",
                        "extended": 0,
                        "startchar": 1629,
                        "endchar": 1649,
                        "start": 1629,
                        "end": 1649,
                        "extendedFrom": "",
                        "predictedCategory": "",
                        "predictionProbability": "0",
                        "weight": 1,
                        "relScore": 0,
                        "type": ["shortcuts:/us/instance/identifier/hyperlink/mailto"],
                        "category": ["IDENTIFIER"],
                        "wikiId": "",
                        "relatedWikiIds": [],
                        "relatedEntities": [],
                        "showOnClick": [],
                        "context": "",
                        "metaData": {
                        "linkHref": "mailto:xflagstaff9@...",
                        "linkProtocol": "mailto",
                        "linkYmailto": "mailto:xflagstaff9@...",
                        "visible": "true"
                        }
                        },
                        "lw_1222359215_5": {
                        "text": "Hammock Camping",
                        "extended": 0,
                        "startchar": 1980,
                        "endchar": 1994,
                        "start": 1980,
                        "end": 1994,
                        "extendedFrom": "",
                        "predictedCategory": "",
                        "predictionProbability": "0",
                        "weight": 0.34463,
                        "relScore": 2.54814,
                        "type": ["shortcuts:/concept"],
                        "category": ["CONCEPT"],
                        "wikiId": "Hammock_camping",
                        "relatedWikiIds": [],
                        "relatedEntities": [],
                        "showOnClick": [],
                        "context": "was lowered into the hammock.    The current chat topic at Hammock Camping is the use of the Downmat----how to use it in",
                        "metaData": {
                        "visible": "false"
                        }
                        }
                        };
                        YAHOO.Shortcuts.headerID = "b0273f197d059279e12181b5bf157ec6";

                        Blake,

                        Thanks for the email.  I'll do my best to answer your downmat questions.
                        First off, the valves are a little stiffer than a traditional valve and
                        you do need to twist them all the way until they stop to be sure that
                        they are closed.  This is different than a traditional screw-type valve
                        that only needs to be finger tight.

                        I have never been afraid of breaking the valve, but maybe it would seem
                        so to others (especially if you are worried about stripping the threads
                        -this is nearly impossible with this design).

                        If a valve breaks, repair or replacement may be possible, depending on
                        the issue.  Give us a call and we will work with you to find a solution.
                        We will provide warranty service in the event of a broken valve.

                        In the field, remember that you have two valves on the mat, so there is
                        a redundancy built into the design.  If one breaks, try to seal it off
                        and carry on.  If you can't seal it from the outside, you can glue it
                        closed if you have to and carry on with your trip.  Give us a call when
                        you get back for warranty service.

                        I hope this helps.  Feel free to contact me with any further questions.

                        Regards,
                        Jason

                        Jason Rudolph
                        Customer Service

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 28, 2008
                          wrote:

                          > Would you say that it can be used instead of an under quilt or other
                          > forms of cold weather systems?

                          Plenty of people do. You sometimes need a little more width for pads
                          in a hammock than on the ground because of the way a hammock tends to
                          wrap around your shoulders. Some folks use well place clothes or
                          stuff sacks for that or others use a SPE (segmented pad extender) that
                          Speer Hammocks makes for that.
                          http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm .

                          Dave Womble
                          aka Youngblood 2000AT