Places to camp in the uk (or to be precise in the south east)

  • sjedwardson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 21, 2008
      I am a keen hammock camper but living in essex there are no places
      that I am aware of that will accommodate my interest. Does anyone
      know of any good camp sites/farms that will allow me to camp. All and
      any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Regards

      Sam
    • JC
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 23, 2008
        Sam,

        Also originally from Essex. Being a rural county. it's always good to
        get friendly with your local farmers. i have had success in the county
        over a number of years. As long as you ask the permission of the land
        owner and remember not to camp near any livestock and discuss the low
        impact of hammock camping. Most farmers won't mind. Fire lighting is
        something some farmers allow if you show you are repsponsible and
        carefull not to make fires near any leaf litter, crops. I can't give
        farms to you as it can depend on the time of the year what crops,
        livestock they have. But I've had a 100% record just turning up on my
        bike with a hammock and a friendly respectfull approach to the farmers.

        John

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"
        <sam.edwardson@...> wrote:

        > I am a keen hammock camper but living in essex there are no places
        > that I am aware of that will accommodate my interest. Does anyone
        > know of any good camp sites/farms that will allow me to camp. All and
        > any help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Sam

      • sjedwardson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 23, 2008
          Thanks for the response, i'll give it a try.

          Sam
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "JC" <cyberdine.systems@...> wrote:

          > Sam,
          >
          > Also originally from Essex. Being a rural county. it's always good to
          > get friendly with your local farmers. i have had success in the county
          > over a number of years. As long as you ask the permission of the land
          > owner and remember not to camp near any livestock and discuss the low
          > impact of hammock camping. Most farmers won't mind. Fire lighting is
          > something some farmers allow if you show you are repsponsible and
          > carefull not to make fires near any leaf litter, crops. I can't give
          > farms to you as it can depend on the time of the year what crops,
          > livestock they have. But I've had a 100% record just turning up on my
          > bike with a hammock and a friendly respectfull approach to the farmers.
          >
          > John
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"
          > <sam.edwardson@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am a keen hammock camper but living in essex there are no places
          > > that I am aware of that will accommodate my interest. Does anyone
          > > know of any good camp sites/farms that will allow me to camp. All and
          > > any help would be greatly appreciated.
          > >
          > > Regards
          > >
          > > Sam

        • coraclenigel
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 24, 2008
            Hi Sam

            I have had much success stealth hammocking on the South Downs and the New Forest
            which is just over the water from me. Usually if you are discreet you can usually get a
            hammock in almost any where and the North Downs may yield some good spots. I would
            also expect there to be some good woodland areas in Kent worth a look and if you ask
            you may get a regular spot. I use my hammock when I go out with the canoe and from
            the water you can find some real good places to hang.

            I also know of a woodland near Hereford where one can hammock and also have a fire.
            Another fire alternative is to use a 'fire box' which as well as being more economical will
            leave little trace.

            Nigel
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson" <sam.edwardson@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the response, i'll give it a try.
            >
            > Sam
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "JC" <cyberdine.systems@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Sam,
            > >
            > > Also originally from Essex. Being a rural county. it's always good to
            > > get friendly with your local farmers. i have had success in the county
            > > over a number of years. As long as you ask the permission of the land
            > > owner and remember not to camp near any livestock and discuss the low
            > > impact of hammock camping. Most farmers won't mind. Fire lighting is
            > > something some farmers allow if you show you are repsponsible and
            > > carefull not to make fires near any leaf litter, crops. I can't give
            > > farms to you as it can depend on the time of the year what crops,
            > > livestock they have. But I've had a 100% record just turning up on my
            > > bike with a hammock and a friendly respectfull approach to the farmers.
            > >
            > > John
            > >
            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"
            > > <sam.edwardson@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I am a keen hammock camper but living in essex there are no places
            > > > that I am aware of that will accommodate my interest. Does anyone
            > > > know of any good camp sites/farms that will allow me to camp. All and
            > > > any help would be greatly appreciated.
            > > >
            > > > Regards
            > > >
            > > > Sam

          • sjedwardson
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 24, 2008
              Thanks for the reply, just a daft question but whats a fire box? also
              the places that you have stayed in that allow both hammock and fire,
              could you forward me the details please as I would love to have a bit
              of a range of places to stay other than one campsite I know in the
              south downs (Blackberry Wood - which is excellent)

              Thanks

              Sam

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "coraclenigel"
              <coraclenigel@...> wrote:

              > Hi Sam
              >
              > I have had much success stealth hammocking on the South Downs and
              the New Forest
              > which is just over the water from me. Usually if you are discreet
              you can usually get a
              > hammock in almost any where and the North Downs may yield some good
              spots. I would
              > also expect there to be some good woodland areas in Kent worth a
              look and if you ask
              > you may get a regular spot. I use my hammock when I go out with the
              canoe and from
              > the water you can find some real good places to hang.
              >
              > I also know of a woodland near Hereford where one can hammock and
              also have a fire.
              > Another fire alternative is to use a 'fire box' which as well as
              being more economical will
              > leave little trace.
              >
              > Nigel
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"
              <sam.edwardson@> wrote:

              > > Thanks for the response, i'll give it a try.
              > >
              > > Sam
              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "JC" <cyberdine.systems@>
              wrote:

              > > > Sam,
              > > >
              > > > Also originally from Essex. Being a rural county. it's always
              good to
              > > > get friendly with your local farmers. i have had success in the
              county
              > > > over a number of years. As long as you ask the permission of the
              land
              > > > owner and remember not to camp near any livestock and discuss
              the low
              > > > impact of hammock camping. Most farmers won't mind. Fire
              lighting is
              > > > something some farmers allow if you show you are repsponsible and
              > > > carefull not to make fires near any leaf litter, crops. I can't
              give
              > > > farms to you as it can depend on the time of the year what crops,
              > > > livestock they have. But I've had a 100% record just turning up
              on my
              > > > bike with a hammock and a friendly respectfull approach to the
              farmers.

              > > > John
              > > >
              > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"

              All and

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 25, 2008
                In the US, we would call it a fire pan. It's just something to build
                the fire in--contains ashes and prevents a burnt patch on the ground.
                Sometimes, it even improves fuel efficiency.

                Something like a Kelly Kettle comes with it's own fire pan.

                CL