Re: [Hammock Camping] Slide show: hammock camping in the West Fork

  • Steve Brettell
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 21, 2008
      Wool socks with a little nylon reinforcment in the toes and heels wear
      best and are best for your feet. Wool actually generates heat when it
      gets wet, and if you put a lightweight sock, such as cotton, inside,
      you'll have about the best protection. Avoid seams across the toes on
      either pair of socks. During the Boor War, more British casualties were
      from blisters (with inherit infections) than from bullets. Lord
      Kitchner either developed, or sponsered the development of a weaving
      technique for the toes of socks, called the Kitchner stitch, to
      eliminate these seams. Blisters greatly improved.

      I'm prejudiced, though. I spin wool and knit socks.

      SteveB