Re: [Hammock Camping] Slide show: hammock camping in the West Fork

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 20, 2008
      I cannot recommend any non-wool or non-cotton socks because I prefer
      hiking in wool. I hike in sandals with wool socks. For me, this
      combination works well for hiking in Taiwan's very wet mountains.

      I've found that socks with a wool-plus-something blend tend to wear out
      faster. I also, however, like thick wool socks. Some socks are made
      thick by terry-cloth looping. I find these loops tend to compact, pile
      up, and create blisters.

      I've found that the DarnTough socks work fine. Also good and a whole
      lot cheaper are ragg wool socks.

      CL

      Blake Robert wrote:
      > Does anyone know a source of really thick acrylic socks w/o cotton or wool?
    • Steve Brettell
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 21, 2008
        Wool socks with a little nylon reinforcment in the toes and heels wear
        best and are best for your feet. Wool actually generates heat when it
        gets wet, and if you put a lightweight sock, such as cotton, inside,
        you'll have about the best protection. Avoid seams across the toes on
        either pair of socks. During the Boor War, more British casualties were
        from blisters (with inherit infections) than from bullets. Lord
        Kitchner either developed, or sponsered the development of a weaving
        technique for the toes of socks, called the Kitchner stitch, to
        eliminate these seams. Blisters greatly improved.

        I'm prejudiced, though. I spin wool and knit socks.

        SteveB