RE: [Hammock Camping] Hot Springs Hammock Campout Sep 19-20, 2008

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 17, 2008
      Hate to hear that Tim-we'll miss ya. I understand the lack of time
      thing-among other things, Karen & I have several yard projects underway that
      are screaming for attention, but we figure they can wait a bit longer.
      Anyway, we know you'll be making next year's campouts.Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Author, Hammock Camping book

      Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 20, 2008
          I invited a fair number of people---but, only Ron Reid could make it.

          The best way to see this slide show is to click the link-enlarge that scene to fill the entire screen---then, select the "Grid" option to the upper right---then click the upper left image and then use the right or left arrow.

          The jungle boots worked great except they were a bit rough on the feet. Neither cotton nor wool socks are satisfactory---I need something with bulk that stays bulky when wet.

          Does anyone know a source of really thick acrylic socks w/o cotton or wool?

          Slides 13 and 14 were the ones with people for scale. Not too many people were there on a weekday.

        http://s469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54/FlagstaffHikers/?action=view¤t=c9d89694.pbw

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 20, 2008
            Beautiful place!!! It's good to know that there are places in Arizona w/ good water sources, if I were to ever get a chance to get out there.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 20, 2008
            I cannot recommend any non-wool or non-cotton socks because I prefer
            hiking in wool. I hike in sandals with wool socks. For me, this
            combination works well for hiking in Taiwan's very wet mountains.

            I've found that socks with a wool-plus-something blend tend to wear out
            faster. I also, however, like thick wool socks. Some socks are made
            thick by terry-cloth looping. I find these loops tend to compact, pile
            up, and create blisters.

            I've found that the DarnTough socks work fine. Also good and a whole
            lot cheaper are ragg wool socks.

            CL

            Blake Robert wrote:
            > Does anyone know a source of really thick acrylic socks w/o cotton or wool?
          • Steve Brettell
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 21, 2008
              Wool socks with a little nylon reinforcment in the toes and heels wear
              best and are best for your feet. Wool actually generates heat when it
              gets wet, and if you put a lightweight sock, such as cotton, inside,
              you'll have about the best protection. Avoid seams across the toes on
              either pair of socks. During the Boor War, more British casualties were
              from blisters (with inherit infections) than from bullets. Lord
              Kitchner either developed, or sponsered the development of a weaving
              technique for the toes of socks, called the Kitchner stitch, to
              eliminate these seams. Blisters greatly improved.

              I'm prejudiced, though. I spin wool and knit socks.

              SteveB