Re: [Hammock Camping] Hot Springs Hammock Campout Sep 19-20, 2008

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 16, 2008
      Hi all,

      I've been lurking here for months, and do so appreciate all that you share
      with us all, even though many of us are on the other side of the world. I
      have learnt heaps from everyone elses' input.
      Anyway, just wanted to wish you all a top weekend and fine weather to go
      with it. Would love to be one of your number and especially to see all that
      home made gear, but as I am from Down Under, it is not possible.

      Julie

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 17, 2008
           Ed & Karen... I hate to miss another Hot Springs trip. They are always great. But I just have so much that needs to be done before fall weather sets in, that I'm going to have to pass on this one. I hope y'all have a great week end!   ...Tim

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 17, 2008
          Thanks Julie, it would be a great treat if you did make one of our campouts
          someday! We'd love to have ya...Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Author, Hammock Camping book

          Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 17, 2008
            Hate to hear that Tim-we'll miss ya. I understand the lack of time
            thing-among other things, Karen & I have several yard projects underway that
            are screaming for attention, but we figure they can wait a bit longer.
            Anyway, we know you'll be making next year's campouts.Ed

            Moderator, Hammock Camping List

            Author, Hammock Camping book

            Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

            Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

            Ed & Karen... I hate to miss another Hot Springs trip. They are always
            great. But I just have so much that needs to be done before fall weather
            sets in, that I'm going to have to pass on this one. I hope y'all have a
            great week end! ...Tim

            _._,___

          • Blake Robert
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 20, 2008
                I invited a fair number of people---but, only Ron Reid could make it.

                The best way to see this slide show is to click the link-enlarge that scene to fill the entire screen---then, select the "Grid" option to the upper right---then click the upper left image and then use the right or left arrow.

                The jungle boots worked great except they were a bit rough on the feet. Neither cotton nor wool socks are satisfactory---I need something with bulk that stays bulky when wet.

                Does anyone know a source of really thick acrylic socks w/o cotton or wool?

                Slides 13 and 14 were the ones with people for scale. Not too many people were there on a weekday.

              http://s469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54/FlagstaffHikers/?action=view¤t=c9d89694.pbw

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 20, 2008
                  Beautiful place!!! It's good to know that there are places in Arizona w/ good water sources, if I were to ever get a chance to get out there.

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 20, 2008
                  I cannot recommend any non-wool or non-cotton socks because I prefer
                  hiking in wool. I hike in sandals with wool socks. For me, this
                  combination works well for hiking in Taiwan's very wet mountains.

                  I've found that socks with a wool-plus-something blend tend to wear out
                  faster. I also, however, like thick wool socks. Some socks are made
                  thick by terry-cloth looping. I find these loops tend to compact, pile
                  up, and create blisters.

                  I've found that the DarnTough socks work fine. Also good and a whole
                  lot cheaper are ragg wool socks.

                  CL

                  Blake Robert wrote:
                  > Does anyone know a source of really thick acrylic socks w/o cotton or wool?
                • Steve Brettell
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 21, 2008
                    Wool socks with a little nylon reinforcment in the toes and heels wear
                    best and are best for your feet. Wool actually generates heat when it
                    gets wet, and if you put a lightweight sock, such as cotton, inside,
                    you'll have about the best protection. Avoid seams across the toes on
                    either pair of socks. During the Boor War, more British casualties were
                    from blisters (with inherit infections) than from bullets. Lord
                    Kitchner either developed, or sponsered the development of a weaving
                    technique for the toes of socks, called the Kitchner stitch, to
                    eliminate these seams. Blisters greatly improved.

                    I'm prejudiced, though. I spin wool and knit socks.

                    SteveB