Re: [Hammock Camping] Hot Springs Hammock Campout Sep 19-20, 2008

  • Jim Priest
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
      On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:
      > I hope everyone plans to attend the next Southeast Hammock Hangers
      > Association hammock campout hosted by Speer Hammocks, Inc--it's this

      I'm still planning on showing up Saturday - save a set of trees for me! :)

      Jim Priest
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
        We’ll be looking for ya Jim….Ed

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
          I have been planning to & still hope to if nothing changes.  ...Tim

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
            Hope to see ya there Tim..Ed

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 16, 2008
              Hi all,

              I've been lurking here for months, and do so appreciate all that you share
              with us all, even though many of us are on the other side of the world. I
              have learnt heaps from everyone elses' input.
              Anyway, just wanted to wish you all a top weekend and fine weather to go
              with it. Would love to be one of your number and especially to see all that
              home made gear, but as I am from Down Under, it is not possible.

              Julie

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 17, 2008
                   Ed & Karen... I hate to miss another Hot Springs trip. They are always great. But I just have so much that needs to be done before fall weather sets in, that I'm going to have to pass on this one. I hope y'all have a great week end!   ...Tim

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 17, 2008
                  Thanks Julie, it would be a great treat if you did make one of our campouts
                  someday! We'd love to have ya...Ed

                  Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                  Author, Hammock Camping book

                  Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

                  Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 17, 2008
                    Hate to hear that Tim-we'll miss ya. I understand the lack of time
                    thing-among other things, Karen & I have several yard projects underway that
                    are screaming for attention, but we figure they can wait a bit longer.
                    Anyway, we know you'll be making next year's campouts.Ed

                    Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                    Author, Hammock Camping book

                    Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

                    Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                    Ed & Karen... I hate to miss another Hot Springs trip. They are always
                    great. But I just have so much that needs to be done before fall weather
                    sets in, that I'm going to have to pass on this one. I hope y'all have a
                    great week end! ...Tim

                    _._,___

                  • Blake Robert
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 20, 2008
                        I invited a fair number of people---but, only Ron Reid could make it.

                        The best way to see this slide show is to click the link-enlarge that scene to fill the entire screen---then, select the "Grid" option to the upper right---then click the upper left image and then use the right or left arrow.

                        The jungle boots worked great except they were a bit rough on the feet. Neither cotton nor wool socks are satisfactory---I need something with bulk that stays bulky when wet.

                        Does anyone know a source of really thick acrylic socks w/o cotton or wool?

                        Slides 13 and 14 were the ones with people for scale. Not too many people were there on a weekday.

                      http://s469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54/FlagstaffHikers/?action=view¤t=c9d89694.pbw

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 20, 2008
                          Beautiful place!!! It's good to know that there are places in Arizona w/ good water sources, if I were to ever get a chance to get out there.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 20, 2008
                          I cannot recommend any non-wool or non-cotton socks because I prefer
                          hiking in wool. I hike in sandals with wool socks. For me, this
                          combination works well for hiking in Taiwan's very wet mountains.

                          I've found that socks with a wool-plus-something blend tend to wear out
                          faster. I also, however, like thick wool socks. Some socks are made
                          thick by terry-cloth looping. I find these loops tend to compact, pile
                          up, and create blisters.

                          I've found that the DarnTough socks work fine. Also good and a whole
                          lot cheaper are ragg wool socks.

                          CL

                          Blake Robert wrote:
                          > Does anyone know a source of really thick acrylic socks w/o cotton or wool?
                        • Steve Brettell
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 21, 2008
                            Wool socks with a little nylon reinforcment in the toes and heels wear
                            best and are best for your feet. Wool actually generates heat when it
                            gets wet, and if you put a lightweight sock, such as cotton, inside,
                            you'll have about the best protection. Avoid seams across the toes on
                            either pair of socks. During the Boor War, more British casualties were
                            from blisters (with inherit infections) than from bullets. Lord
                            Kitchner either developed, or sponsered the development of a weaving
                            technique for the toes of socks, called the Kitchner stitch, to
                            eliminate these seams. Blisters greatly improved.

                            I'm prejudiced, though. I spin wool and knit socks.

                            SteveB