Re: [Hammock Camping] Tyvek as undercover or weathershield

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 15, 2008
      Hi Neil,

      I tried the tyvek as a weathershield outside the HH and JRB nest. A few
      times, it really seemed to work. It was on one night with a soggy fog
      that left my damp socks dripping water that I had trouble with
      condensation inside and outside the tyvek. Really, both sides of the
      tyvek were covered with water droplets. This meant the down of the JRB
      nest wasn't able to do it's job. Removing the tyvek may have meant some
      water on the nest, but the result actually was warmer. Maybe one of the
      truly breathable (i.e. perforated) tyveks would work better.

      I had also tried mylar between the nest and the HH. This resulted in a
      pool of water (several ounces, actually) of condensation on my side of
      the mylar--meaning I got wet. This, too, was during a night with a
      seriously soggy fog.

      I've camped in sites where these soggy fogs turned into freezing fogs,
      leaving everything on the windward side covered in 3 inches of Rhine ice.

      Because of these experiences with soggy fogs, I'm now very leary of
      using any non-breathable weather shield (or splash-back shield) with my
      hammock. If it can't breathe, there's going to be an astounding amount
      of condensation--at least in Taiwan at elevations >2500 m.

      If condensation wasn't a factor or if I needn't worry about the soggy
      fogs, I'd think the tyvek was a great weather shield. As it is, I want
      to carry gear that's going to work with all conditions, not just special
      'dry' conditions.

      During that night of the soggy fog. After I removed the tyvek, the JRB
      nest worked fine to keep me warm. The next night was clearer, a little
      dryer (still some rain), and a little colder (from about 10*C to about
      4*C). That night, I just couldn't seem to get the nest adjusted
      properly. Adding a partially inflated 3/4 thermarest inside the hammock
      worked fine to keep me warm. No condesation between me and it, either.
      I found that 3/4 lenght was easy to handle in the hammock, but did not
      help keep my feet warm. Either I had to ball up on the thermarest or my
      feet got cold. I did not have a problem with cold shoulders. The
      insulation from the nest seemed to work find for that.

      CL
      who sleeps cold--very cold.

      Neil Robidoux wrote:
      > I have an old piece of tyvek that I used to use with a solo tent in my ground dwelling days. Would there be any benefit to using it with a HH between a weathershield and the hammock (at least on days when condensation wouldn't be a factor)?
    • Richard Perlman
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 15, 2008
        Cara Lin,

        Have you thought about adding a "solid barrier"
        between you and the soggy fog?

        Perhaps Ed's 10' x 11' Winter Tarp?
        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm

        Rich