Hot Springs Hammock Campout Sep 19-20, 2008

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 15 7:11 AM
      I hope everyone plans to attend the next Southeast Hammock Hangers
      Association hammock campout hosted by Speer Hammocks, Inc--it's this
      coming weekend in Hot Springs, NC. Here's the link to more info:
      http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/Articles/HotSpringsSep08.htm

      Numerous folks have already notified us they plan to attend, so the
      turn out should be good. Everyone is invited to join us for this Late
      Summer campout. This is a laid back, non structured gathering of
      hammock enthusisants where everyone is responsible for their own
      schedule. We all camp together in a beautiful riverside group site in
      a commerical campground an easy walk from downtown--plenty of hammock
      trees available. Be sure not to miss the Saturday nite Hot Dog feast
      provided by Speer Hammocks!

      Home made hammock gear is always a hit at these campouts, so be sure &
      bring yours to share with others. We'll have photos of our recent
      hammock/canoe trip to Boundary Waters--bring your favorite hammock
      photos to share too!

      See ya there.....Ed & Karen

      Owners, Speer Hammocks, Inc
      Moderators, Hammock Camping YahooGroup List
    • Jim Priest
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 15 7:13 AM
        On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:
        > I hope everyone plans to attend the next Southeast Hammock Hangers
        > Association hammock campout hosted by Speer Hammocks, Inc--it's this

        I'm still planning on showing up Saturday - save a set of trees for me! :)

        Jim Priest
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 15 7:52 AM
          We’ll be looking for ya Jim….Ed

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 15 11:45 AM
            I have been planning to & still hope to if nothing changes.  ...Tim

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 15 1:05 PM
              Hope to see ya there Tim..Ed

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 16 10:32 PM
                Hi all,

                I've been lurking here for months, and do so appreciate all that you share
                with us all, even though many of us are on the other side of the world. I
                have learnt heaps from everyone elses' input.
                Anyway, just wanted to wish you all a top weekend and fine weather to go
                with it. Would love to be one of your number and especially to see all that
                home made gear, but as I am from Down Under, it is not possible.

                Julie

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 17 6:21 AM
                     Ed & Karen... I hate to miss another Hot Springs trip. They are always great. But I just have so much that needs to be done before fall weather sets in, that I'm going to have to pass on this one. I hope y'all have a great week end!   ...Tim

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 17 8:38 AM
                    Thanks Julie, it would be a great treat if you did make one of our campouts
                    someday! We'd love to have ya...Ed

                    Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                    Author, Hammock Camping book

                    Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

                    Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 17 8:46 AM
                      Hate to hear that Tim-we'll miss ya. I understand the lack of time
                      thing-among other things, Karen & I have several yard projects underway that
                      are screaming for attention, but we figure they can wait a bit longer.
                      Anyway, we know you'll be making next year's campouts.Ed

                      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                      Author, Hammock Camping book

                      Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

                      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                      Ed & Karen... I hate to miss another Hot Springs trip. They are always
                      great. But I just have so much that needs to be done before fall weather
                      sets in, that I'm going to have to pass on this one. I hope y'all have a
                      great week end! ...Tim

                      _._,___

                    • Blake Robert
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 20 1:31 PM
                          I invited a fair number of people---but, only Ron Reid could make it.

                          The best way to see this slide show is to click the link-enlarge that scene to fill the entire screen---then, select the "Grid" option to the upper right---then click the upper left image and then use the right or left arrow.

                          The jungle boots worked great except they were a bit rough on the feet. Neither cotton nor wool socks are satisfactory---I need something with bulk that stays bulky when wet.

                          Does anyone know a source of really thick acrylic socks w/o cotton or wool?

                          Slides 13 and 14 were the ones with people for scale. Not too many people were there on a weekday.

                        http://s469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54/FlagstaffHikers/?action=view¤t=c9d89694.pbw

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 20 5:53 PM
                            Beautiful place!!! It's good to know that there are places in Arizona w/ good water sources, if I were to ever get a chance to get out there.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 20 7:44 PM
                            I cannot recommend any non-wool or non-cotton socks because I prefer
                            hiking in wool. I hike in sandals with wool socks. For me, this
                            combination works well for hiking in Taiwan's very wet mountains.

                            I've found that socks with a wool-plus-something blend tend to wear out
                            faster. I also, however, like thick wool socks. Some socks are made
                            thick by terry-cloth looping. I find these loops tend to compact, pile
                            up, and create blisters.

                            I've found that the DarnTough socks work fine. Also good and a whole
                            lot cheaper are ragg wool socks.

                            CL

                            Blake Robert wrote:
                            > Does anyone know a source of really thick acrylic socks w/o cotton or wool?
                          • Steve Brettell
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 21 5:40 AM
                              Wool socks with a little nylon reinforcment in the toes and heels wear
                              best and are best for your feet. Wool actually generates heat when it
                              gets wet, and if you put a lightweight sock, such as cotton, inside,
                              you'll have about the best protection. Avoid seams across the toes on
                              either pair of socks. During the Boor War, more British casualties were
                              from blisters (with inherit infections) than from bullets. Lord
                              Kitchner either developed, or sponsered the development of a weaving
                              technique for the toes of socks, called the Kitchner stitch, to
                              eliminate these seams. Blisters greatly improved.

                              I'm prejudiced, though. I spin wool and knit socks.

                              SteveB