Re: Rock Hopper Hammock (was Invitation: hike West Fork of Oak Creek

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 10, 2008
      That's very interesting...I have a Byer's Moskito Traveler with the
      bug net. Has anyone tried inserting aluminum poles to use on the
      ground? If so, what did you do to hold them in place.

      This should be fun to play around with.

      sandy in miami

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
      wrote:

      > Ron Reid and I are planning to hike 6 miles in to W. Fork of Oak
      Creek and camp-then spend several days of dayhiking/loafing in camp.

      > This is a beautiful and deep side canyon of Oak Creek Canyon, north
      of Sedona, Arizona. It has a permanent stream of clear water up to
      about 10 miles from the start-we don't plan to go that far. Do an
      image search with the search term: "West Fork of Oak Creek".

      > You have to get your feet wet going in and back out. There may be
      insects---I will use my HH with the net.

      > We will start from the Call of the Canyon parking lot (pay/day)
      about 9 a.m. Monday---if the weather prospect is nice.

      > I have won a Rock Hopper "Ultralight" hammock/tent on ebay at $50
      and hope to test it before hiking the north Superstitions about Oct.
      10th---when the 100+ years old Reavis Ranch orchard still bears
      fruit. I also hope to test my Panda hammock/sleeping bag-both as a
      sleeping bag in a hammock (top zipper) and as a hammock---when it
      gets cool.

    • Richard Perlman
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 15, 2008
        Cara Lin,

        Have you thought about adding a "solid barrier"
        between you and the soggy fog?

        Perhaps Ed's 10' x 11' Winter Tarp?
        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm

        Rich