Invitation: hike West Fork of Oak Creek

  • Blake Robert
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 10, 2008
      Ron Reid and I are planning to hike 6 miles in to W. Fork of Oak Creek and camp-then spend several days of dayhiking/loafing in camp.

      This is a beautiful and deep side canyon of Oak Creek Canyon, north of Sedona, Arizona. It has a permanent stream of clear water up to about 10 miles from the start-we don't plan to go that far. Do an image search with the search term: "West Fork of Oak Creek".

      You have to get your feet wet going in and back out. There may be insects---I will use my HH with the net.

      We will start from the Call of the Canyon parking lot (pay/day) about 9 a.m. Monday---if the weather prospect is nice.

      I have won a Rock Hopper "Ultralight" hammock/tent on ebay at $50 and hope to test it before hiking the north Superstitions about Oct. 10th---when the 100+ years old Reavis Ranch orchard still bears fruit. I also hope to test my Panda hammock/sleeping bag-both as a sleeping bag in a hammock (top zipper) and as a hammock---when it gets cool.

    • Richard Perlman
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 15, 2008
        Cara Lin,

        Have you thought about adding a "solid barrier"
        between you and the soggy fog?

        Perhaps Ed's 10' x 11' Winter Tarp?
        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm

        Rich