Re: Hammock Camping Snake Skins

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2003
      I only wrap the snakeskins over the hammock and then wrap the trap
      around them. Setting up in the rain this way you are guarenteed a
      dry hammock and don't have to play the games with the extra string
      like Sgt Rock suggests for setting up in the rain. It is also a much
      easier takedown then trying to wrap and stuff as described and so
      nicely shown by Shane. The skins also elimate the need for drips
      lines when it is raining hard. I feel they are definetly worth the
      weight for the utility they bring. I still use my Hennessey stuff
      sack and stuff the tarp wrapped snakeskinned hammock into it for easy
      packing into the back mesh pocket of my pack. If the tarp is really
      wet it goes into the back mesh pocket to dry out for the next night.
    • Adrnlnjnky
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 16, 2004
        If anybody needs snake skins there is an auction on ebay but it's short time

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5138135040&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
        --
        Tom Peltier

        Did somebody say Road Trip!!
      • Craig Stephanski
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 17, 2004
          I use those and they are the best.....makes set up that much easier!!  I recommend anything that Tom makes,  'cause it works very well!!!

        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 17, 2004
            Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing it
            right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5 more
            months to go, we'll see.....

            jamie in az

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 18, 2004
                Really???? I'm testing it also and enjoyed staying warm down to 40 so
                far. I had my 20 degree bag, my POD women's Max-lite sleeping pad,
                and sweats.

                Jodi who is patiently waiting for this blasted cold she has to go away
                so she can hang out in the cold ;-)

                On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:42:41 -0000, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:

                > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing it
                > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5 more
                > months to go, we'll see.....
                >
                > jamie in az
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!

                arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
                thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                ride!"
              • chcoa
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 21, 2004
                  Craig, if you are sleeping direcly on the "cheepie blue egg crate
                  pad" then it's no surprise you are doing okay at those temps. Rick
                  has had really good results with his closed cell Target pads. The
                  Supershelter system is a bit different however, the insulation is
                  hanging under you. In the attempts I've made so far, I slept in long
                  cotton pants, socks, fleece booties, t-shirt, and a light weight
                  fleece jacket covered by my 40 F modified sleeping bag/now quilt.
                  Top of me was not the problem. I did not eat right before and I did
                  not have anything on my head but I was sleeping on a little down camp
                  pillow. Don't know if I'm a cold sleeper.

                  <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                  > What are you wearing for clothing during these "cold" nights? I
                  can get to 40F with just a cheapie blue egg crate pad, sleeping bag
                  and a wool blanket. I had to wear long johns just once on the
                  coldest night. Are you a cold sleeper? Do you make sure you eat
                  something before you go to sleep to keep your metabolism going? That
                  also helps keep you warm at night. Take care........Craig
                  > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                  > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing it
                  > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5 more
                  > months to go, we'll see.....
                  >
                  > jamie in az
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                  > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                  > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  > Get unlimited calls to
                  >
                  > U.S./Canada

                  Service.
                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 21, 2004
                    Hi Jodi,

                    Glad to hear you are enjoying the test. I have yet to test it with
                    any other pads or insulation material. I wanted to find out
                    how "low" the items that came with the shelter would go first. I'm
                    at 55 F with just the Overcover and Underpad, my normal clothes, and
                    a 40 F quilt on top of me.

                    HAve you tried it without the POD pad yet?

                    jamie in az

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Banjo Doje <bpskids@g...>
                    wrote:
                    > Really???? I'm testing it also and enjoyed staying warm down to 40
                    so
                    > far. I had my 20 degree bag, my POD women's Max-lite sleeping pad,
                    > and sweats.
                    >
                    > Jodi who is patiently waiting for this blasted cold she has to go
                    away
                    > so she can hang out in the cold ;-)
                    >

                    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:42:41 -0000, chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing it
                    > > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5 more
                    > > months to go, we'll see.....
                    > >
                    > > jamie in az
                    > >
                    > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                    > > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                    > > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    > >

                    > --
                    > "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
                    > arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                    > to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other,
                    body
                    > thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                    > ride!"
                  • Craig Stephanski
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 22, 2004
                      Jamie in AZ,

                      Well I'm assuming that you haven't been able to get many hours in cold temps with the SuperShelter yet, but it seems that you should have better results with a; covering your head (that will help very much!) and b; eating a little cheese or other fatty foods (peanuts, etc) before bed.  I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put fuel into my body to keep me warmer at night.  If I don't eat beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a piece of an old army wool blanket folded in a couple of layers to lay on........the combinations are endless.  That's why this forum is so great, you can bounce things off each other and find what works best for you!!  Take care and good luck!....Craig

                      <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                      > What are you wearing for clothing during these "cold" nights?  I
                      can get to 40F with just a cheapie blue egg crate pad, sleeping bag
                      and a wool blanket.  I had to wear long johns just once on the
                      coldest night.  Are you a cold sleeper?  Do you make sure you eat
                      something before you go to sleep to keep your metabolism going?  That
                      also helps keep you warm at night.    Take care........Craig
                      > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                      > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out.  I'm testing it
                      > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far.  5 more
                      > months to go, we'll see.....
                      >
                      > jamie in az
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                      > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                      > I recommend anything that Tom makes,  'cause it works very well!!!
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      > Get unlimited calls to
                      >
                      > U.S./Canada

                      Service.

                    • navjohn@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 22, 2004

                        In a message dated 11/22/04 9:12:34 PM, stephanski@... writes:

                        I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put fuel into my body to keep me warmer at night.  If I don't eat beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a piece of an old army wool blanket

                        Well, that should max out you your daily fiber intake, if nothing else  : )
                      • Craig Stephanski
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 22, 2004
                          Oh yes........I am all fiber-ed out by the end of the day!!! haha

                          navjohn@... wrote:

                          In a message dated 11/22/04 9:12:34 PM, stephanski@... writes:

                          I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put fuel into my body to keep me warmer at night.  If I don't eat beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a piece of an old army wool blanket

                          Well, that should max out you your daily fiber intake, if nothing else  : )

                        • Ralph Oborn
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 22, 2004
                            An Astronomer friend suggested Cheescake, with chocolate. The
                            different ingredients metabolize at different times and keep you warm
                            all night.

                            Ralph

                            On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:08:14 -0800 (PST), Craig Stephanski
                            <stephanski@...> wrote:

                            > Jamie in AZ,
                            >
                            > Well I'm assuming that you haven't been able to get many hours in cold temps
                            > with the SuperShelter yet, but it seems that you should have better results
                            > with a; covering your head (that will help very much!) and b; eating a
                            > little cheese or other fatty foods (peanuts, etc) before bed. I know that I
                            > am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put fuel into my body to keep me warmer at
                            > night. If I don't eat beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am.
                            > Perhaps try just a piece of an old army wool blanket folded in a couple of
                            > layers to lay on........the combinations are endless. That's why this forum
                            > is so great, you can bounce things off each other and find what works best
                            > for you!! Take care and good luck!....Craig
                            >

                            > chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Craig, if you are sleeping direcly on the "cheepie blue egg crate
                            > pad" then it's no surprise you are doing okay at those temps. Rick
                            > has had really good results with his closed cell Target pads. The
                            > Supershelter system is a bit different however, the insulation is
                            > hanging under you. In the attempts I've made so far, I slept in long
                            > cotton pants, socks, fleece booties, t-shirt, and a light weight
                            > fleece jacket covered by my 40 F modified sleeping bag/now quilt.
                            > Top of me was not the problem. I did not eat right before and I did
                            > not have anything on my head but I was sleeping on a little down camp
                            > pillow. Don't know if I'm a cold sleeper.
                            >
                            > jamie in az
                            >
                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                            > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                            > > What are you wearing for clothing during these "cold" nights? I
                            > can get to 40F with just a cheapie blue egg crate pad, sleeping bag
                            > and a wool blanket. I had to wear long johns just once on the
                            > coldest night. Are you a cold sleeper? Do you make sure you eat
                            > something before you go to sleep to keep your metabolism going? That
                            > also helps keep you warm at night. Take care........Craig
                            > > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                            > > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing it
                            > > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5 more
                            > > months to go, we'll see.....
                            > >
                            > > jamie in az
                            > >
                            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                            > > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                            > > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!
                            > >

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            > > Get unlimited calls to
                            > >
                            > > U.S./Canada

                            > Service.
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • Craig
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 22, 2004
                              LOL
                              --- navjohn@... wrote:

                              > In a message dated 11/22/04 9:12:34 PM,
                              > stephanski@... writes:
                              >

                              > > I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put
                              > fuel into my body to keep
                              > > me warmer at night. If I don't eat beforehand, I
                              > get noticibly colder at
                              > > about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a piece of an old
                              > army wool blanket
                              > >
                              > Well, that should max out you your daily fiber
                              > intake, if nothing else : )

                              The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                              http://my.yahoo.com
                            • Paul
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 23, 2004
                                Now that's most lame excuse I've ever heard to
                                rationalize eating the world's most perfect food! But
                                being an astronomer myself I guess we'd know.

                                -Paul

                                http://my.yahoo.com
                              • chcoa
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 26, 2004
                                  Thanks Craig. I've had about 6 tries in the Supershelter so far.
                                  All hovering around 50F. I appreciate the advice about the late
                                  night snack and covering my head. Usually I do wear a beenie to bed
                                  when actually out on the trail but at only 50F and car camping I
                                  figured I'd try without just to see the results.

                                  <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                                  > Jamie in AZ,
                                  >
                                  > Well I'm assuming that you haven't been able to get many hours in
                                  cold temps with the SuperShelter yet, but it seems that you should
                                  have better results with a; covering your head (that will help very
                                  much!) and b; eating a little cheese or other fatty foods (peanuts,
                                  etc) before bed. I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put
                                  fuel into my body to keep me warmer at night. If I don't eat
                                  beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a
                                  piece of an old army wool blanket folded in a couple of layers to lay
                                  on........the combinations are endless. That's why this forum is so
                                  great, you can bounce things off each other and find what works best
                                  for you!! Take care and good luck!....Craig

                                  > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                                  > Craig, if you are sleeping direcly on the "cheepie blue egg crate
                                  > pad" then it's no surprise you are doing okay at those temps. Rick
                                  > has had really good results with his closed cell Target pads. The
                                  > Supershelter system is a bit different however, the insulation is
                                  > hanging under you. In the attempts I've made so far, I slept in
                                  long
                                  > cotton pants, socks, fleece booties, t-shirt, and a light weight
                                  > fleece jacket covered by my 40 F modified sleeping bag/now quilt.
                                  > Top of me was not the problem. I did not eat right before and I
                                  did
                                  > not have anything on my head but I was sleeping on a little down
                                  camp
                                  > pillow. Don't know if I'm a cold sleeper.
                                  >
                                  > jamie in az
                                  >
                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                                  > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                                  > > What are you wearing for clothing during these "cold" nights? I
                                  > can get to 40F with just a cheapie blue egg crate pad, sleeping bag
                                  > and a wool blanket. I had to wear long johns just once on the
                                  > coldest night. Are you a cold sleeper? Do you make sure you eat
                                  > something before you go to sleep to keep your metabolism going?
                                  That
                                  > also helps keep you warm at night. Take care........Craig
                                  > > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                                  > > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing
                                  it
                                  > > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5
                                  more
                                  > > months to go, we'll see.....
                                  > >
                                  > > jamie in az
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                                  > > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                                  > > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!
                                  > >

                                  > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                  > > Get unlimited calls to
                                  > >
                                  > > U.S./Canada

                                  > Service.
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                  Service.
                                • dclem22
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 8 7:35 PM
                                    While were on the subject, does anyone sell snake skins to fit a clark
                                    north american with the xl fly? Snake skins(like posted) look to be the
                                    coolest accessory for a hammock camper. Thanks in advance for any info.
                                  • Joe Federici
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 8 7:58 PM
                                      You could size up the snake skins to compensate for extra space
                                      depending on what size hammock your starting with. The Skins I think
                                      come in 4 sizes so if your hammock uses size 2 you could buy size 4.
                                      I'm not sure how much extra room your looking? I was told the snake
                                      skin idea was patented so a few of the people who used to make similar
                                      products may have stopped. The ones that comes to mind were the python
                                      skins which are now collectors items ;-)

                                      JFF

                                      On Mar 8, 2006, at 10:35 PM, dclem22 wrote:

                                      While were on the subject, does anyone sell snake skins to fit a clark
                                      north american with the xl fly? Snake skins(like posted) look to be the
                                      coolest accessory for a hammock camper. Thanks in advance for any info.

                                      Camping hammock
                                      Camping food
                                      Rv camping
                                      Gsi outdoors
                                      Happy camper
                                      Outdoors

                                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                      ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

                                      ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                                      ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                                      Service.

                                    • danefliedner
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 9 9:04 AM
                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > You could size up the snake skins to compensate for extra space
                                        > depending on what size hammock your starting with. The Skins I think
                                        > come in 4 sizes so if your hammock uses size 2 you could buy size 4.

                                        >>>I recently bought a JRB Nest and weather shield and needed bigger
                                        snakeskins-- I put my size 2 skins on my JRB tarp (a little big, but
                                        already had 'em) and I made (my first sewing project) some python
                                        skins based on "Just Jeffs" design under his homemade gear link-- they
                                        swallow the HH UL backpacker (without tarp), my Nest and weather
                                        shield-- I made mine a little bigger to be able to accomodate all 3
                                        pieces when needed. Came out pretty good, too, considering I'd never
                                        touched a sewing machine before! You should try it. Pretty easy, and
                                        way cheaper than $20 for the HH skins (although HH skins look nicer
                                        than mine, hey, it works)...And yes, they are a very cool idea, and
                                        well worth it. Dane